C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can brake calipers be changed from original and car still qualify as original?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 04:55 PM
Happy Eddie
Cruising

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Can brake calipers be changed from original and car still qualify as original?

September 11, 1968 I purchased a 390-427 four speed convertible with hard top. The brakes after 122,000 miles and garaged a lot have gone bad. Two questions: (1) do the original calipers need to be rebuilt for the car to stay original? (2) If they can be changed what is the best way to go?

Thank you, Happy Eddie
Old 10-21-2014, 05:14 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi HE,
Since the brake calipers and rubber brake lines are such important safety items the vast majority of people feel they can be changed without affecting the car's originality.
But, if after determining your caliper's casting numbers and date codes make it possible that these are indeed the calipers the car left St.Louis with, I'd certainly look into having them sleeved and returned to you to use on your car.
With that number of miles on the car (122k) I wouldn't be surprised if the calipers haven't already been changed or sleeved at some point.
I first needed to have my 71's calipers sleeved in about 1982 at about 40,000 miles.
Regards,
Alan
Old 10-21-2014, 05:21 PM
62corvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 664 Likes on 473 Posts

Lonestar calipers will do a sleeping/rebuilding on your original calipers. They also will walk them Dow the line and not do a cosmetic restoration, if you request that. It's a bit more expensive, but some will request that for authenticity sake.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:29 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Happy Eddie
September 11, 1968 I purchased a 390-427 four speed convertible with hard top. The brakes after 122,000 miles and garaged a lot have gone bad. Two questions: (1) do the original calipers need to be rebuilt for the car to stay original? (2) If they can be changed what is the best way to go?

Thank you, Happy Eddie
Like the term 'matching numbers' there's no hard and fixed definition of the term. A car can be original only once. After that it's 'restored' or something else.

If you like, get your present calipers resleeved, that's about the closest you can get.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:26 PM
Happy Eddie
Cruising

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi HE,
Since the brake calipers and rubber brake lines are such important safety items the vast majority of people feel they can be changed without affecting the car's originality.
But, if after determining your caliper's casting numbers and date codes make it possible that these are indeed the calipers the car left St.Louis with, I'd certainly look into having them sleeved and returned to you to use on your car.
With that number of miles on the car (122k) I wouldn't be surprised if the calipers haven't already been changed or sleeved at some point.
I first needed to have my 71's calipers sleeved in about 1982 at about 40,000 miles.
Regards,
Alan
Thanks Alan, I will take your advice and have them rebuilt. The are the factory calipers cause I bought the car right off the show room floor. After all it cost me almost $5,400. am very easy on brakes. I had only changed pads a couple of times. I bought the car working part time and going to college, so this was my only car. I drove it the first five years in Southern California then I had it in Alaska for 33 years before moving to Missouri eight years ago.

You helped me make up my mind, Ed.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:37 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi HE,
Follow 62's info and make sure whomever you send the calipers to UNDERSTANDS you want these particular calipers back.
Sounds like an interesting history with your car. How much did you drive it in Alaska and how did you store it? How about a couple of pictures?
I was a little older than you when I bought mine, had done college and the military, and had a real job, so in 1971 $5200 wasn't too much of a reach!
Good Luck!
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 10-22-2014 at 09:43 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Can brake calipers be changed from original and car still qualify as original?

Quick Reply: Can brake calipers be changed from original and car still qualify as original?