Sponsored by:

HELP...door alignment

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 12:29 PM
LannyL81
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 71 Posts

Default HELP...door alignment

Short summary: removed doors for complete repaint, no problems with driver's side door alignment, but the passenger side has a problem.

The photos below show the large gap at the forward top of the passenger door.
The problem seems to be that the cowl or fender is up too high; compare the photos of the gap on the A pillar trim between the sides.

The front fender was not moved or anything during the painting process. It was probably this way before I took the doors off for repainting....just never noticed it until I went to re-install the doors.

So my question: is it possible to lower the front fender/cowl to decrease the large gap along the top forward half of the door and if so...HOW??

Thanks.

Passenger side:

Passenger side:

Passenger Side:

Driver Side:

Last edited by LannyL81; 02-08-2015 at 09:35 AM.
Old 02-06-2015, 01:43 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Are the hinge pin bushings good?
Old 02-06-2015, 03:37 PM
LannyL81
Melting Slicks

Easy Mike: yes hinge pins and bushings were all replaced with new before installing doors.

Also I have the exact same shims behind each hinge as they were when I took the doors off.
Old 02-06-2015, 04:40 PM
cb.bums
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

many resto guys fill in the door gaps and recut with a router. the door edge can be extended then cut to fit your openings if it bothers you enough.
Old 02-06-2015, 06:50 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

IF the bottom edge of the door is LEVEL with the bottom edge of the fender. There is nothing you can do to correct this gap.

I need a photo from the side looking directly at the gap...so get down on one knee to take the photo....and them also let me know if the door is level at the bottom of the fender as I wrote.

What can also be occurring is that when the car is lifted and supported...if the jack stands are not placed in the correct area...the weight of the engine and front end can cause this area at the cowl to flex wider..and the body panels that are attached to the 'birdcage' can become lose and thus...the end of the hood surround can have a mind of its own.

To repair it...it would depend on a couple of variables....such as if the right front of the car is at correct height...because RAISING the area by the radiator support...would cause the back of the hood surround at your door to do down. If all that is fine....I am still feeling that it is under this upper corner...and would take quite a bit to get it right...and with new paint....that opens up another issue all together. Possible frame issues where it might need to be pulled downwards...because if it was supported incorrectly at the wrong place and left for some time ( which I have seen happen)...with the age of the frame and other factors...the frame could be in a 'Tee-Pee' situation...and would need to be pulled down to flatten the "tee-pee"....and that is assuming that the body mounts are in good condition at the #1 and #2 area on that side.

DUB

Last edited by DUB; 02-06-2015 at 06:58 PM.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:07 PM
EmNash
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have seen pics of cars on the assembly line with this gap at the top of the door. My car has the same and it doesn't sag at the rear jamb.
Old 02-07-2015, 09:10 AM
LannyL81
Melting Slicks

I will add pictures of the bottom edge of the door, it is level though, just not exactly even with the body. Although I think I have the center ridge matched and even at top of door.

All body mounts were replaced about 10 years ago with poly bushings.

I have never lifted the car at the radiator support, only used the front crossmember, but of course I am not the original owner.

As far as jackstand placement; in the front as far forward as possible, just before the upward curve in the frame.

Need for the sun to come up before pushing car out of garage for those pictures....later today.

Last edited by LannyL81; 02-07-2015 at 05:50 PM.
Old 02-07-2015, 05:47 PM
LannyL81
Melting Slicks

Additional pictures along bottom edge of door:...please ignore the damage areas....done while moving the door around...too much. Will get those fixed later.

Old 02-07-2015, 06:05 PM
DUB
Race Director

ALMOST...but not quite what I needed. I poorly communicated what I needed to see. I need to see the door and fender gap from top to bottom in one photo. I am wanting to see the center gap of each panel and how well they line up and make that curve in the gap.

It is possible that the door can be raised....once I see the photo and then take into account how the door is level at the fender on the right side.

I do not know what to do without making extensive paint work come into play. I still feel the problem is at the cowl or a frame teak occurred at some time....and as mentioned by 'c3nashvette'...it could have come form the factory that way...and I would like to see factory assembly line photos of this issue coming directly off the assembly line. Pretty drastic.

DUB
Old 02-07-2015, 08:26 PM
LannyL81
Melting Slicks

DUB:
You want shots like the very first picture, but more straight-on.
Will do that tomorrow and post them.

Thanks for the response.
Old 02-07-2015, 09:30 PM
EmNash
Racer

Name:  stlouis25.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  39.2 KB
Old 02-08-2015, 09:37 AM
LannyL81
Melting Slicks

Well....look at those gaps.....seems to be the way they are.

Thanks for that picture.
Old 02-08-2015, 10:43 AM
finallygotit
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you need help messing with them, just text me. I owe you!
Old 02-08-2015, 07:59 PM
EmNash
Racer

I thought the same thing about my car, that the doors or cowl was messed up but it just is the way it was made....
Old 02-09-2015, 06:46 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by LannyL81
DUB:
You want shots like the very first picture, but more straight-on.
Will do that tomorrow and post them.

Thanks for the response.
YES...just like the very first photo you posted...but straight on.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To HELP...door alignment

Quick Reply: HELP...door alignment