Sponsored by:

69 sidepipes...approx worth

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 05:13 PM
69redstingray
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 69 sidepipes...approx worth

I have a set of original covers but I obviously need some work and I'm just wondering what they're worth any ideas

Old 04-16-2015, 11:21 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 564 Likes on 382 Posts

Last time I looked, factory duplicate side pipes and the covers were about $2200 from Paragon. I think they have the license to repro these parts. If you have used covers that are tarnished and want to replate them there is a problem I think. The side pipe covers are a cast aluminum alloy that cannot be replated by a standard replating shop. They have to be stripped to the aluminum alloy...a standard replating shop can do that. But next they need a electrolytically conductive anodizing. This is something most replaters cannot do. After the electrolytically conductive anodizing, then the part can be nickel plated and chrome plated.....That's my understanding..
Old 04-17-2015, 06:22 AM
69redstingray
Advanced

Originally Posted by 68/70Vette
Last time I looked, factory duplicate side pipes and the covers were about $2200 from Paragon. I think they have the license to repro these parts. If you have used covers that are tarnished and want to replate them there is a problem I think. The side pipe covers are a cast aluminum alloy that cannot be replated by a standard replating shop. They have to be stripped to the aluminum alloy...a standard replating shop can do that. But next they need a electrolytically conductive anodizing. This is something most replaters cannot do. After the electrolytically conductive anodizing, then the part can be nickel plated and chrome plated.....That's my understanding..
yeah, I don't know but have read people refinish these if they are original.....
Old 04-17-2015, 10:00 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi 69,
Because the shields are so expensive to have re-plated the value in original covers is really in the insulators, brackets, bushings, and fasteners.
So it depends quite a bit on the insulators condition. It appears the end is broken off the right side?
Regards,
Alan
Old 04-17-2015, 10:21 AM
69redstingray
Advanced

Yes one of them does have a broken side but other than that I think they're ok...I was just wondering what they'd be worth
Old 04-29-2015, 10:48 AM
69redstingray
Advanced

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi 69,
Because the shields are so expensive to have re-plated the value in original covers is really in the insulators, brackets, bushings, and fasteners.
So it depends quite a bit on the insulators condition. It appears the end is broken off the right side?
Regards,
Alan
I have the piece, was in my box of parts. Looks like it just screws in or is held in place by screws?

Get notified of new replies

To 69 sidepipes...approx worth

Quick Reply: 69 sidepipes...approx worth