Sponsored by:

Power antenna

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 06:33 PM
Tommy d 22
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power antenna

I purchased a power antenna for my 78 Corvette the issue I have is the original power antenna has 3 wires the new aftermarket one has 2 I have found the relay for radio and antenna what wires do I hook up
New antenna has red and blue wires orginial has white green and gray, can the relay be used yet or can it be by passed
Any suggestions
Old 04-27-2015, 06:44 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Can not tell you how to wire it in...if at all possible with the factory relay UNLESS we know how the new power antenna needs to be wired in with the blue and red wire.

Also depends on if you still have the factory radio...or if an aftermarket radio is installed...is the control wire to the factory relay for the antenna getting a signal when requested to do so.

DUB
Old 04-27-2015, 07:31 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Did you get a wiring diagram with your new antenna? Are you running the stock radio?
Old 04-27-2015, 10:10 PM
Tommy d 22
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
Did you get a wiring diagram with your new antenna? Are you running the stock radio?
yes i am running the stock radio, wiring diagram doesnt tell me much, i have found th erelay under arm rest, not sure how to hook wires up, i have been reading different replys from other forums as well, the old power antenna went up when radio was turned on and down when turned off, not sure what to do any help is appreciated
Old 04-28-2015, 04:01 PM
bradleyb66
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 129 Likes on 108 Posts

The aftermarket antenna I bought had 3 wires, but the black (ground) wire was pretty short (approx 12"). Yours might be grounded thru the mount, in which case you would need to provide a ground to the frame.

On mine, the red went to power (powered when the car is on), and the other wire went to the 'signal' wire that had power only when the radio is on (I tied it directly to my aftermarket radio).

Your best bet would be to use a test light to figure out which of your current wires has power all the time, and which has power only when the radio is on, and tap into those two wires. Technically, the aftermarket antennas don't need a relay, but if your relay is functioning, then it's probably easier to just use it.
Old 04-28-2015, 05:38 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommy d 22
yes i am running the stock radio, wiring diagram doesnt tell me much, i have found th erelay under arm rest, not sure how to hook wires up, i have been reading different replys from other forums as well, the old power antenna went up when radio was turned on and down when turned off, not sure what to do any help is appreciated
Post the wiring diagram that you were given.

DUB
Old 07-06-2017, 03:24 PM
VET*RRN
4th Gear

Default Power Antennae

Same issue as a few others.... New Power antenna with RED/BLUE wires. Old antenna has the three wires to a relay.
I have not yet checked the power to each (green,gray,white) wires yet but hoping there was more info out there on how to connect these without smokin something up.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:55 PM
KapsSA
Safety Car

Received 170 Likes on 137 Posts

Do aftermarket antennas NOT have instructions??
If you want to hack up your original antenna wires you need to get at the relay under the center armrest 78-80 or jack compartment 81-82.
The orange wire is constant power, the yellow is the trigger from the radio to raise/lower it. The relay itself isn't used for the aftermarket antenna.
You can't use the green/white/gray wires as they are. You'd need to hack them up and attach 2 of them to the orange/yellow.

I have an NOS antenna available for sale if interested.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-antennas.html

Under armrest in a 78......
Name:  antrelay.jpg
Views: 4446
Size:  115.7 KB

Last edited by KapsSA; 07-06-2017 at 08:00 PM.
Old 07-06-2017, 08:41 PM
VET*RRN
4th Gear

Originally Posted by KapsSA
Do aftermarket antennas NOT have instructions??
If you want to hack up your original antenna wires you need to get at the relay under the center armrest 78-80 or jack compartment 81-82.
The orange wire is constant power, the yellow is the trigger from the radio to raise/lower it. The relay itself isn't used for the aftermarket antenna.
You can't use the green/white/gray wires as they are. You'd need to hack them up and attach 2 of them to the orange/yellow.

I have an NOS antenna available for sale if interested.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-antennas.html

Under armrest in a 78......

Ah that makes some sense to me thank you. I'm familiar with the wires/relay locations so I'll get a look tomorrow.

Instructions? Terrible!!! It spends more literature on the physical install than the wiring.
Old 08-19-2017, 11:25 AM
VET*RRN
4th Gear

So I got the antennae in and tested...worked! But then I put everything back together and now my courtesy fuse blows as soon as in touches.
Old 08-21-2017, 12:54 PM
bradleyb66
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 129 Likes on 108 Posts

The courtesy circuit has power all of the time (orange wires), and waits to be grounded via one of the white wires or the headlight switch. I'm guessing that one of your orange wires is touching ground someplace, and wasn't touching before you put everything back together?

Get notified of new replies

To Power antenna

Quick Reply: Power antenna