C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dewitts Cooling System In Action ( Video)

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 09:39 AM
redcruz1120
Drifting

Received 205 Likes on 122 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Dewitts Cooling System In Action ( Video)

IMO ,Another great Add on to my project. I never had cooling problems with my old radiator with the old engine but I thought that after the purchase of the ZZ5 it would be too much of a risk to not go this route with a Aluminum Dewitts radiator / Dual Spals!!!.

Old 07-15-2015, 09:47 AM
mikep3
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts

Great looking mill, nice job on the serpentine belt, new ac compressor. The D-rad is nice looking also.
Tell us how the ac and rad are working on a hot day.
Old 07-15-2015, 10:58 AM
redcruz1120
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by mikep3
Great looking mill, nice job on the serpentine belt, new ac compressor. The D-rad is nice looking also.
Tell us how the ac and rad are working on a hot day.
Thank you Mike.
I still have not charged the system yet. I did buy a extra relay set to activate a fan by A/C system if needed. I just dont think i will need it since the pull I feel in front of condenser feels more than adequate and and better than the fan clutch I was running before ., and that's just in park and idling. I really think once I will get it going down the road high pressure wont be a issue. I will give a update as soon as I get closer to finishing the Resto/mod.....
Thanks
Old 07-15-2015, 07:19 PM
sosugrad
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default compressor

Very nice, I am doing a frame off on my 74 and getting ready to put the vintage air in before I drop the body back on. I also have the same serpentine system but vintage air said the sanden compressor would not fit the compressor bracket and be able to close the hood. which compressor, brackets are you using and does the hood close?
Old 07-15-2015, 07:41 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by redcruz1120
Thank you Mike.
I still have not charged the system yet. I did buy a extra relay set to activate a fan by A/C system if needed. I just dont think i will need it since the pull I feel in front of condenser feels more than adequate and and better than the fan clutch I was running before ., and that's just in park and idling. I really think once I will get it going down the road high pressure wont be a issue. I will give a update as soon as I get closer to finishing the Resto/mod.....
Thanks
VERY IMPRESSIVE!

Not telling you what to do...because you did not ask...but I have installed this same coolant/fan system and made it so the fans came on when the A/C is requested. This was mainly done so when the car was stuck idling in traffic with the A/C on...the pressure would not go off scale....which I did see the pressures being quite high when it was being charged and what happened when both fans came on.

The customer who I did this for is on the forum..and if you care to.....which I doubt..because it seems you know what is going on...you can contact him and ask him about his A/C system...which is quite impressive on how cold it gets. '1974CorvetteJimCr' is who you contact...if needed.

DUB
Old 07-15-2015, 09:02 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
VERY IMPRESSIVE!

Not telling you what to do...because you did not ask...but I have installed this same coolant/fan system and made it so the fans came on when the A/C is requested. This was mainly done so when the car was stuck idling in traffic with the A/C on...the pressure would not go off scale....which I did see the pressures being quite high when it was being charged and what happened when both fans came on.

The customer who I did this for is on the forum..and if you care to.....which I doubt..because it seems you know what is going on...you can contact him and ask him about his A/C system...which is quite impressive on how cold it gets. '1974CorvetteJimCr' is who you contact...if needed.

DUB
Not that you asked my 2 cents but
in the past I felt the same way about ac switching on the fan, I liked it to the point of adding an extra fan on the xterra to come on with the ac ( no temp switch ) to help stay cool in fl traffic however, when going down the road at speeds where the fans are not needed that "ac on" wiring will have the fan running when not needed which is a waste so I wired it where I can turn it off at speeds not needed.

In the case of my c3 with 2 temp switches for the fans "IF" the car gets too hot in traffic it's going to cut on all the fans anyway so no real need to wire it to come on with ac and stay on even when the car is moving and doesn't need the extra.
Old 07-16-2015, 12:23 AM
redcruz1120
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by sosugrad
Very nice, I am doing a frame off on my 74 and getting ready to put the vintage air in before I drop the body back on. I also have the same serpentine system but vintage air said the sanden compressor would not fit the compressor bracket and be able to close the hood. which compressor, brackets are you using and does the hood close?
This is really funny... Vintage air told me the same thing!! My neighbor is a Installer / Dealer and I told him How disappointed I was that I was not going to use the Sanden compressor that came with my vintage air system I had bought a few months before the body came off the frame.He assured me Vintage Air sells the brackets to adapt a sanden compressor into the Gm Serpentine brackets . I asked him to get them for me since apparently he knows more about Vinatge Air brakets than they do... He did and the compressor went on without a hitch!!! BTW . you wont be able to run tall Valve covers is the only catch!!! I'll try to get a part number from my neighbor when I see him . Or you might call them back and tell them there is a bracket!!!
Old 07-16-2015, 12:57 AM
redcruz1120
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by DUB
VERY IMPRESSIVE!

DUB
Originally Posted by The13Bats
Not that you asked my 2 cents but
in the past I felt the same way about ac switching on the fan, I liked it to the point of adding an extra fan on the xterra to come on with the ac ( no temp switch ) to help stay cool in fl traffic however, when going down the road at speeds where the fans are not needed that "ac on" wiring will have the fan running when not needed which is a waste so I wired it where I can turn it off at speeds not needed.

In the case of my c3 with 2 temp switches for the fans "IF" the car gets too hot in traffic it's going to cut on all the fans anyway so no real need to wire it to come on with ac and stay on even when the car is moving and doesn't need the extra.

Thank you Dub and bats for the input. I always welcome suggestions so i can try something else if something didn't work out. I will probably charge up the system maybe next month or so since i still have a load of other things to do to the project. Once I do i will put it to the test without taking it to the street, just to see what it will do in a worst case scenario. If that doesn't pan out I have a extra relay ready to go for the AC system. Before i pulled the body off I had just installed the vintage air and everything ran within range and I was very impressed considering I was running a fan clutch and idling in my drive way. ...I can go either route if needed, but like bats said, I really would rather not run a fan on the road if not needed if it's wired to the A/C.... Thanks guys I'll keep it updated!!
Old 07-16-2015, 06:36 PM
DUB
Race Director

OBSERVATION.

I watched your video. I can tell you have a few pennies in this project....and KNOWING that this just did not come together by opening up a box and pouring it into your engine compartment...MIGHT I ask if you have considered adding in a support brace or bracket that secures your fuel fitting assembly at or near where the heater hose connection at the intake manifold is located???? Seems like if it got accidentally hit or 'whatever'....fuel spray or leaks could be a problem. It seems that the fitting going into the front bowl has to do an awful lot...in regards to keeping this assembly in check ....and it would be the area where I feel a break could occur.

Just asking.

DUB
Old 07-16-2015, 07:12 PM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Received 627 Likes on 324 Posts

Nice!
Old 07-17-2015, 03:27 AM
redcruz1120
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09

Default temporary rigging!!

Originally Posted by DUB
OBSERVATION.

I watched your video. I can tell you have a few pennies in this project....and KNOWING that this just did not come together by opening up a box and pouring it into your engine compartment...MIGHT I ask if you have considered adding in a support brace or bracket that secures your fuel fitting assembly at or near where the heater hose connection at the intake manifold is located???? Seems like if it got accidentally hit or 'whatever'....fuel spray or leaks could be a problem. It seems that the fitting going into the front bowl has to do an awful lot...in regards to keeping this assembly in check ....and it would be the area where I feel a break could occur.

Just asking.

DUB
Thanks Dub, There is a clamp/support below the 90 degree bend on the head. What you see is just a temporary fix cause i wanted to start the engine and make sure the carb was operating the the way it should . I almost had to go around and around with GM performance with warranty issues on the carb that when they sent me a second one I had to go out of my way shopping for AN fittings for the the piece that you see above the heater hose fitting. they sold me what would work but not what I needed .that piece is too tall and will be lowered when my new AN fittings And Wire loom and more Hoses arrive. they've been lost for two weeks in the mail.

Thanks dub!! Good observation !!

Last edited by redcruz1120; 07-17-2015 at 03:33 AM.
Old 07-17-2015, 10:38 AM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

Just beautiful. I have a ZZ4. I hope those ZZ5 valve covers will fit. They look a lot nicer than mine.

I
Old 07-17-2015, 02:07 PM
redcruz1120
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by 68/70Vette
Just beautiful. I have a ZZ4. I hope those ZZ5 valve covers will fit. They look a lot nicer than mine.

I
Thank you,... and Im almost positive they will fit! same bolt pattern. Center bolt covers!!
Old 07-17-2015, 06:13 PM
DUB
Race Director

Thanks for not blasting me to death for my comment on what I saw.

And I am glad that this is a temporary mock up to get it running....because I often times run into the heater hose coming out of the intake being right in the way when I am plumbing up a fuel system. I generally resort to bending tubing and flaring the tube for AN fittings.

DUB
Old 07-17-2015, 11:01 PM
redcruz1120
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by DUB
Thanks for not blasting me to death for my comment on what I saw.

And I am glad that this is a temporary mock up to get it running....because I often times run into the heater hose coming out of the intake being right in the way when I am plumbing up a fuel system. I generally resort to bending tubing and flaring the tube for AN fittings.

DUB
I understand. The main reason it's getting redone will be for cosmetic purposes . Initially I used a 1 inch carb spacer just to keep from having bends and angles around the heater hose/fitting, but even one inch height increase was a ridiculous way to go. Just to avoid a bend . I ordered a 7/8 to 8 AN short fitting for the primary bowl feed line to bring that up and hopefully get a straight shot. The clamp/support will remain out of sight on the front of the head where it's at right now. Since its keeping that area nice and sturdy. And if for some reason it doesn't work for me I'll just have a smaller 90° AN fitting just to get rid of that big run around the heater hose area..
Old 07-18-2015, 05:29 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by redcruz1120
I understand. The main reason it's getting redone will be for cosmetic purposes . Initially I used a 1 inch carb spacer just to keep from having bends and angles around the heater hose/fitting, but even one inch height increase was a ridiculous way to go. Just to avoid a bend . I ordered a 7/8 to 8 AN short fitting for the primary bowl feed line to bring that up and hopefully get a straight shot. The clamp/support will remain out of sight on the front of the head where it's at right now. Since its keeping that area nice and sturdy. And if for some reason it doesn't work for me I'll just have a smaller 90° AN fitting just to get rid of that big run around the heater hose area..
We think much alike....I have 'back-up' scenarios when designing and routing fuel lines. Because there is always something to consider and something that will get in the way.

DUB
Old 07-18-2015, 09:23 PM
redcruz1120
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by DUB
We think much alike....I have 'back-up' scenarios when designing and routing fuel lines. Because there is always something to consider and something that will get in the way.

DUB

Great Minds think alike, Dub!!

Get notified of new replies

To Dewitts Cooling System In Action ( Video)

Quick Reply: Dewitts Cooling System In Action ( Video)