C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any "Factory Correct" Restorations going on?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 01:36 PM
mortgageguy
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by doorgunner
I have great respect for members who can afford/who are willing to put blood, sweat, and sometimes tears into restoring Corvettes. I appreciate a rebuilt stock 327 engine as a part of history!

Unfortunately I do not have the extra $30,000 above the $20,000 allocated-retirement "fund" to restore my "tractor-shed find" '68 basket-case.
DG, I don't think its an economics thing at all. Heck, there are guys out there spending 7 to 10 k on engines. That's about what I would spend for a repaint. I think it's a matter of preference for each of us. We spend our money on what's important to us. In my retirement, I support my Corvette hobby by working part time with a guy that has a tree cutting business. That's hard work to keep an old car in good order. LOL Peace brother
Old 09-10-2015, 01:50 PM
mortgageguy
Burning Brakes

Ok, so here is an example of an exciting restoration project on my 72.
The charcoal vapor canister wasn't absorbing the fuel vapors anymore. Gas fumes were excessive in my garage when tank was full. I could not find any vendor that sold an exact duplicate of the original. I removed it, cut out half the grate on the bottom, put new charcoal and filters in it, repainted it and installed it. Exciting isn't it. Agonized over whether to use gloss, semi gloss, flat, semi flat, or satin paint. Total coat was less than $26. Would have been less, but I bought a large can of charcoal. I'll share it with my buddies .
Old 09-10-2015, 01:57 PM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 136 Likes on 74 Posts

Im starting one on a 1978 Silver Anniversary L82 4-Speed car. Ill be making videos on it so stay tuned. Going as close to stock as I can get it.

www.youtube.com/user/thecorvetteben

subscribe for updates.
Old 09-10-2015, 02:24 PM
Rowdy Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 447 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by mortgageguy
Ok, so here is an example of an exciting restoration project on my 72.
The charcoal vapor canister wasn't absorbing the fuel vapors anymore. Gas fumes were excessive in my garage when tank was full. I could not find any vendor that sold an exact duplicate of the original. I removed it, cut out half the grate on the bottom, put new charcoal and filters in it, repainted it and installed it. Exciting isn't it. Agonized over whether to use gloss, semi gloss, flat, semi flat, or satin paint. Total coat was less than $26. Would have been less, but I bought a large can of charcoal. I'll share it with my buddies .
LOL... I do this too.

Were you the person who originally posted this procedure on the forum? Very cool stuff!

Regards,

Stan
Old 09-10-2015, 02:52 PM
mortgageguy
Burning Brakes

Nah, that's where I learned how to do it. I was surprised that you can't find repros anywhere.
That and the QJ carbs are the only two parts I know of that aren't been reproduced. As time goes by, I'll probably find others.
Old 09-10-2015, 05:51 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi RR,
I'm thinking the fellow who had the thread with the instructions and pictures showing how to decapitate and refill the vapor canister is a fellow from Australia or New Zealand….I think!
Maybe Craig?
Yup! CraigH, Canberra, Australia!
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 09-10-2015 at 06:11 PM.
Old 09-10-2015, 06:50 PM
midigike
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 141 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I feel to that since the aftermarket has so much more now to offer and the struggles to find quality made or reproduced parts to do a "factory" style restoration it is much easier to modify or "rod" than leave correct and stock. I have seen personally guys that horde OEM, NOS parts on the garage shelves at their home b/c they do not trust the foreign made parts, but that also hurts the guys trying to do a quality to stock resto. The vendors just don't have the parts. It is life it happens.
I like to be safe and only "upgrade" when necessary, brake lines is a good example. But like stated earlier, you're car, you're money, make it the way you want it, we all have a Corvette Dream and each Dream is different!
Old 09-10-2015, 07:30 PM
Rowdy Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 447 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi RR,
I'm thinking the fellow who had the thread with the instructions and pictures showing how to decapitate and refill the vapor canister is a fellow from Australia or New Zealand….I think!
Maybe Craig?
Yup! CraigH, Canberra, Australia!
Regards,
Alan
Alan,

Did a search and that's who I came up with as well. Great solution to an often overlooked maintenance item! A little activated charcoal, some foam, a factory filter, and a large O ring... A little bit of work and you're good to go for another forty plus years.

By the way, I dismounted the two Firestones that were on wheels so now all three tires are ready to go. Hopefully, I'll be able to get you up here in a few weeks so you can take a look at them.

Regards,

Stan
Old 09-10-2015, 07:53 PM
Don Rickles
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 134 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C3 of Year

Hi WB,
Still ongoing…. completion date YTBD!
Regards,
Alan

Spending a lot of time searching for ways to decrease the horsepower and methods to fit narrower tires on 8" wheels.

Is that your wife's turkey basting pot under the car I see?

This is a current photo?
Old 09-10-2015, 07:55 PM
Don Rickles
Race Director

2017 C3 of Year

Nah, that's where I learned how to do it. I was surprised that you can't find repros anywhere.
That and the QJ carbs are the only two parts I know of that aren't been reproduced. As time goes by, I'll probably find others.
Thanks for the cannister info!
Old 09-10-2015, 08:12 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi WB,
Yes, that's a current photo.
It all started when I came up with an original aluminum radiator.
The original from this car looks beautiful but 'weeps' along it's bottom tube.
The turkey pan is actually MY mother's pan. Anne and I use HER mother's pan for the turkey.
Regards,
Alan
Old 09-10-2015, 08:17 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi RR,
Thanks for the update! I do want to get those tires from you.
We're going to be away for a few weeks but I'll call you when we return.
Are you in Wisconsin or on your way? I continue to be a bit bummed about not going but it's proved to have been a good idea that we're still at home until next week.
Regards,
Alan
Old 09-10-2015, 09:10 PM
71 Green 454
Le Mans Master

Received 1,186 Likes on 650 Posts

Hi WB,
Still ongoing…. completion date YTBD!
Regards,
Alan

Spending a lot of time searching for ways to decrease the horsepower and methods to fit narrower tires on 8" wheels.

Hi Alan, is the air cleaner breather tube grommet on your RH valve cover like the original? I see it has a flat section on top, not round like the original one on my '71 BB. I ordered one from Willcox but they sent me a different part# than I ordered, it's round like mine, but it's 3/4" and I need a 1" opening for the breather tube to fit. When I removed air filter housing, I noticed the original grommet is cracked.

Willcox is doing some research, I sent them a couple of photos of mine.

Regards,

Dave

I have an AIM for my car, it's called Alan's Incredible Memory!

Last edited by 71 Green 454; 09-10-2015 at 09:13 PM.
Old 09-11-2015, 05:59 AM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by 71 Green 454
I have an AIM for my car, it's called Alan's Incredible Memory!

For all of us 71 owners!
Old 09-11-2015, 07:12 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi Green,
I believe that typically the sb steel valve cover grommet for the breather had the flat top while the bb valve cover has the round grommet….but I'm unsure about the grommet in the LT-1's aluminum valve cover.
It's somewhat memory but more so a few sources to search through!
Regards,
Alan
Old 09-11-2015, 08:52 AM
Don Rickles
Race Director

2017 C3 of Year

Here is a picture of first the BB then the LT 1.

Alan is correct on the BB with the round grommet and it is the same round found on the aluminum LT 1 valve cover grommet.

Old 09-11-2015, 09:19 AM
530planeman
Drifting

Received 145 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Rowdy Rat
Kevin,

I have three currently underway... If you have Facebook, check it out.

Regards,

Stan Falenski
Stan being an old Marine ('69 '70 Viet Nam) I not a face book guy but I will have my daughter help me find your restorations. I am working on a '70 putting LS 5 in it ,even though the car had Motion mods when I bought it I am putting as many original parts as I can find (and afford) . I would like to drive up and see your cars if you allow visitors ? I now live in northern Kentucky.
I herd you are doing a big block ? Question , will an M21 hold up on a stock LS 5 ?

Get notified of new replies

To Any "Factory Correct" Restorations going on?

Old 09-11-2015, 09:28 AM
71 Green 454
Le Mans Master

Received 1,186 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by War Bonnet
Here is a picture of first the BB then the LT 1.

Alan is correct on the BB with the round grommet and it is the same round found on the aluminum LT 1 valve cover grommet.

Thanks WB, maybe Willcox will figure it out today. Here's a picture of mine....looks like the one in your BB photo.
Hey....I looked at a ton of BB photos trying to find one with the spark plug wire bracket mounted on the 2nd lower valve cover bolt. There it is in your photo....I couldn't get any responses when I posted. I put mine back on like the one in your picture.

Old 09-11-2015, 09:34 AM
Don Rickles
Race Director

2017 C3 of Year

Originally Posted by 71 Green 454
Thanks WB, maybe Willcox will figure it out today. Here's a picture of mine....looks like the one in your BB photo.
Hey....I looked at a ton of BB photos trying to find one with the spark plug wire bracket mounted on the 2nd lower valve cover bolt. There it is in your photo....I couldn't get any responses when I posted. I put mine back on like the one in your picture.
Glad the pictures are of help to you! The purpose for starting the thread in the first place! Sorry, I missed your request for this information previously......I think there is a black plastic protector on that wire holding bracket?

I do notice a difference in the LT 1 vs. the BB now that they are seen side by side. The LT 1 doesn't have the embossed letters seen on the BB grommet, it also appears slightly different in size.

WB

Last edited by Don Rickles; 09-11-2015 at 09:36 AM.
Old 09-11-2015, 09:57 AM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 145 Posts

I think there are a lot of us who try to keep our cars as original as possible. There's not as much posting on it because it's not as exciting to say you just replaced your "keep your GM car all GM" sticker right after some guy posted that he just installed a 7000 hp engine.
You mean like this one? Think it would fit? Might not be factory correct though.....
Attached Images  

Last edited by Faster Rat; 09-11-2015 at 04:19 PM.

Quick Reply: Any "Factory Correct" Restorations going on?