Sponsored by:

Hey guys it's me again! Please help

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 10:17 PM
djllort
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 530planeman
Go to radio shop or a Best by chances are they can get you one also salvage yards .a good radio place can tell which one you need could be an expensive radio you have
Wes
Ok thanks
Old 12-03-2015, 10:25 PM
530planeman
Drifting

Received 145 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by djllort
Well, they are older people and they seemed to have worked on racing cars before... he said it was something related to the front axle... and he didn't look happy about it lol its year 77... Im thinking of taking the car to repair in January or a little later if we get snow here... no point in having it fixed with snow around.. but I would have them call u if u want, I read good reviews about them and they do seem to be experienced, but then again what do I know they told me it was gonna be a project lol
Be sure to get a written estimate always before work most states it's the law even though most shops don't follow it . Make sure to check out the heat riser ,suggest a muffler shop if it is stuck closed might cause valve problem .Hope this has helped
Wes
The following users liked this post:
djllort (12-03-2015)
Old 12-03-2015, 10:32 PM
djllort
Advanced

Be sure to get a written estimate always before work most states it's the law even though most shops don't follow it . Make sure to check out the heat riser ,suggest a muffler shop if it is stuck closed might cause valve problem .Hope this has helped
Wes
I got no idea about that but Ill google it lol
Old 12-03-2015, 10:36 PM
530planeman
Drifting

Well, they are older people and they seemed to have worked on racing cars before... he said it was something related to the front axle... and he didn't look happy about it lol its year 77... Im thinking of taking the car to repair in January or a little later if we get snow here... no point in having it fixed with snow around.. but I would have them call u if u want, I read good reviews about them and they do seem to be experienced, but then again what do I know they told me it was gonna be a project lol
You will soon learn that Project is just Corvette spelled a different way lol
djllort (12-03-2015)
Old 12-03-2015, 10:39 PM
530planeman
Drifting

Thanks for helping me before!
I got some general questions since I don't know anything about cars.. Lol

1)I have no idea what kind of engine is this, you guys know? I was told it was a v8 rebuilt but just that..

2) They made a full inspection and they told me I gotta fix this:

replace the brake master cylinder, booster, e-brake cables, passenger front axle joints, brake fluid flush.........parts labor and tax.....$1,196.66.
Replacing fuel lines and filter......parts labor and tax.....$178.

Is that a good rate?

And for last I've uploaded a pic of the piece of radio they left in there... What do you think?

If you do need a radio look under parts there is one new for $90 on this Forum
Wes
djllort (12-03-2015)
Old 12-03-2015, 11:02 PM
F22
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 211 Posts

Let me introduce you, to one of our little ditties that you'll soon be familiar with.

It's called: "While You're There...". Good thing this is a simple one! While you're replacing the radio, have the technician remove the equalizer underneath the radio. It's totally ancient, with dirty, scratchy pots or potentiometers. It's basically a carbon disk with metal wiper and when they get dirty, the signal going through them, gets distorted and that equals awful sound. It's just a couple of plugs and it's easy, so don't let them charge you a lot for removing it either.

But you've got more important things to fix. I haven't listened to the $1,000 JBL GTO system in it yet, because of electrical interference. Take your time and attend to the big stuff, after all, you get to listen to a V8 and that's not bad music at all.
djllort (12-03-2015)
Old 12-03-2015, 11:53 PM
djllort
Advanced

lol you guys freaking me out... hahaha imma be broke!!
Old 12-03-2015, 11:53 PM
djllort
Advanced

You will soon learn that Project is just Corvette spelled a different way lol
ok im scared now lol
Old 12-04-2015, 08:10 PM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,292 Likes on 3,919 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

You should find a local member or a very capable mechanic friend to learn how to do some of this yourself. The filter and fuel lne you can manage. The stereo too. Good luck. How does the rest of the body look
djllort (12-04-2015)
Old 12-04-2015, 10:36 PM
djllort
Advanced

Originally Posted by Rescue Rogers
You should find a local member or a very capable mechanic friend to learn how to do some of this yourself. The filter and fuel lne you can manage. The stereo too. Good luck. How does the rest of the body look
The rest is ok, the engine is great.. is just that list I gotta fix and some interior minors... no big deal.. and I don't know if there's any members from Seattle here... but thanks
Old 12-05-2015, 05:36 PM
Cooter Tech
Le Mans Master

Received 221 Likes on 154 Posts

Look at your local community college or adult education classes. Most community colleges have automotive repair classes. This might be a good place for a novice mechanic if interested about learning automobile repair many will let you work on your car while learning. If you are unable to do simple repairs on your car, it will be a money pit. Even sitting in the winter stuff breaks!
djllort (12-05-2015)
Old 12-06-2015, 08:27 AM
Sluefoot
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

From reading all the OP posts, I'd hafta honestly say that he isn't really qualified to do any work on a Corvette, let alone a "regular" car....SO....you (the OP) are gonna hafta prepare yourself to pay some BIG $$$ to have someone ELSE do all the work, let alone
all the $$$ markup on the cost of parts. I just completed a TOTAL front end suspension rebuild...all the work AND parts obtained by ME...and it cost me just under $1,000....I'd hate to think what my $$$$ would've been if I had someone ELSE do all that!!! (I've been a "wrench" for many, many years, and have the tools, knowledge & facility to do all MY OWN WORK!)...and I'm movin' on next to do a total REAR suspension rebuild!
djllort (12-06-2015)
Old 12-06-2015, 10:54 AM
F22
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 211 Posts

You know what I did, with someone who had zero knowledge? I took him to the local junkyard, or Pick and Pull, with a bucket of the tools and had him take a all kinds of stuff off. The Adult Education class is a very good suggestion too.

You may find someone to help you, but me thinks, that with everyone having little time in their own lives, it's going to be up for to you. The book you ordered, pretty much will educate you completely on how everything works on your car, it is that thorough.

Next, you will need tools. Start with the basic set from Sears for $100 to $200. Go to Harbor Freight, get a plier set, a plastic hammer, rubber hammer, channel lock plier set, some scrapers, a variety of wire brushes and a punch set. Pry bar set too. A box of nitrite gloves too. Don't go crazy in there, because it's not hard to spend hundreds of dollars. You'll eventually need a floor jack and four good jack stands, too (and the knowledge to use them safely).

Next stop, Auto Parts Store. Go to the chemicals in aisle. Get the following cans. Gunk Engine Degreaser, WD-40, Electrical Contact Cleaner, Goof Off and any of the rusted bolt spray solutions. A couple of cans of Brake Cleaner and finally, some hand soap. Go to the parts aisle and get a variety pack of hose clamps, then go ask at the parts counter for some rubber vacuum line in various sizes. Get three feet of each size, you'll be needing it.

Before you start touching anything on your car, first take pictures all around the area you're working on, from all angles. Have a box of heavy duty ziplocks and bag and tag everything you remove, you can clean them later. Never force anything until you know exactly what is holding it in. You may have to remove other things, to get to what you want to work on. That's why you take a lot of pictures. My brother is a Master Mechanic and his motto is: You've got to be Smarter than the Part. Remember that.

Don't expect easy, these cars can be tough to work on. You will have busted out knuckles, deep cuts and gouges, black grease under your finger nails, but you will learn how to be the master of your own stuff. The master of your own stuff, is a quote I am stole my from a very good book "Shop Class as Soulcraft". Get that book too, as it's the education of a gear head. YouTube is your friend, as the well as this forum. Use the search feature first, then ask the question. Good luck in your journey.
djllort (12-06-2015)
Old 12-06-2015, 01:24 PM
Cooter Tech
Le Mans Master

Received 221 Likes on 154 Posts

I have always looked at cars as they went down the Assy line. The person on the line had about 30 seconds to install that part. If that was the case, I can take it off and fix it replace it in a few hours. Does not alway work out as some fixes obviously will take longer but it can be done. As stated earlier, take lots of pictures. Remember too if it is already broke, what is there to loose in trying to fix it? Safety is the most important part, good tools, jack stands etc. watch out for big springs! Doing brakes, do one at a time, if you get confused go to the opposite side and look at how it is assembled.
djllort (12-06-2015)
Old 12-06-2015, 01:34 PM
TaiChiGuy
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yeah, he told me he lost it.. lol and this one is not the original for sure.. so Ill have it removed I guess. Put something else in there.
Check on eBay for a faceplate once you can have the radio manufacturer and model info. OTOH, depending on what kind of radio/features/audio system wanted, replacing the radio could be the best. YMMV
djllort (12-06-2015)
Old 12-06-2015, 02:40 PM
Dirty Dalton
Drifting

Received 776 Likes on 479 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Cooter Tech and F22 have some excellent suggestions - but don't be tempted to use pliers, channel locks, adjustable wrench or, heaven forbid, vice grips, just because you don't have the correct size wrench.

Around here VoTech schools offer all kinds of 'mechanical' classes in the evening. Straight car mechanics, welding, brazing, painting, electrical trouble shooting, etc.

There is, of course, an alternative, which I'll post in a minute or three.
djllort (12-06-2015)
Old 12-06-2015, 02:48 PM
Dirty Dalton
Drifting

Received 776 Likes on 479 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

If fixing it yourself isn't an option, you need to pick one with a good dowry or an endowment.

djllort (12-06-2015)

Quick Reply: Hey guys it's me again! Please help