Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Knee replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 07:47 PM
radiotexas
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Out with the old and in with the new. Looks like Jan. 25t to remove the old artificial hip joint implanted in 1969 and replacement with new gear. The first time around was pure hell. Hospitalized for 46 days! You go a little crazy lying on your back 24-7 for 46 days. But now they tell me it's "wham bam thank you mam, get up and go home." Has anyone in the 65yrs age range had a replacement with the new procedures? If so, any problems you recall, or anything to watch out for and or concentrate on? My Vette is a four speed so maybe I can take upkeep off my taxes by having to use the clutch?
Knees and hips, what's next, uh oh, don't go there! And thanks for any advice.

Last edited by radiotexas; 01-14-2016 at 08:14 PM. Reason: bad spelling
Old 01-14-2016, 09:17 PM
ZAKsPop
Drifting

Received 153 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by radiotexas
Out with the old and in with the new. Looks like Jan. 25t to remove the old artificial hip joint implanted in 1969 and replacement with new gear. The first time around was pure hell. Hospitalized for 46 days! You go a little crazy lying on your back 24-7 for 46 days. But now they tell me it's "wham bam thank you mam, get up and go home." Has anyone in the 65yrs age range had a replacement with the new procedures? If so, any problems you recall, or anything to watch out for and or concentrate on? My Vette is a four speed so maybe I can take upkeep off my taxes by having to use the clutch?
Knees and hips, what's next, uh oh, don't go there! And thanks for any advice.
Just curious, why did you have a hip replacement in 69? A current 65 year old would be 18 or 19 years old back then.

Last edited by ZAKsPop; 01-14-2016 at 09:18 PM.
Old 01-14-2016, 09:46 PM
radiotexas
Racer

Broke hip at age 15. I literally fell off a river cliff hunting deer in the TX piney woods. Repair went south. Re-repaired with artificial joint when bone's reached a certain calcium level. It was good for decades but the last year it's started tearing itself apart. I'm not complaining as everyone has something going on, everyone. Thanks for your asking and good luck with your home town keeping that small town ambience in the face of exploding growth.
Old 01-15-2016, 12:55 PM
Rmodeler
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It may hurt now, but after while it will feel great and you will say-why did I wait so long!
Old 01-15-2016, 09:56 PM
ZAKsPop
Drifting

Broke hip at age 15. I literally fell off a river cliff hunting deer in the TX piney woods. Repair went south. Re-repaired with artificial joint when bone's reached a certain calcium level. It was good for decades but the last year it's started tearing itself apart. I'm not complaining as everyone has something going on, everyone. Thanks for your asking and good luck with your home town keeping that small town ambience in the face of exploding growth.
Ouch! You are right about everyone having something going on. I have had 3 back surgeries because I had a bad 3-wheeler accident back in 87 and crushed several vertebras. The lower 5th of my back doesn't bend because my 5 lumbar vertebra have all been fused together.
Old 01-20-2016, 11:19 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,176 Likes on 2,737 Posts

"How be da' knee?"
Old 01-21-2016, 10:03 PM
speedracer2
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by doorgunner
"How be da' knee?"
Hurts like HELL! But better each day. Got a good PT nurse.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:19 PM
radiotexas
Racer

Does the fuse really get rid of the pain? Ortho described my lower back as dog ----.
Spine bent and blown out discs from pelvis tilted to "bad" leg side. One option is to fuse. I know it leaves the back stiff, but does it get rid of the pain? Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-21-2016, 11:53 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,176 Likes on 2,737 Posts

Originally Posted by speedracer2
Hurts like HELL! But better each day. Got a good PT nurse.
Does she make you sweat like an NFL linebacker in Miami?!?

It's good to hear that you actually feel the improvement!
Old 01-22-2016, 04:22 PM
ZAKsPop
Drifting

Does the fuse really get rid of the pain? Ortho described my lower back as dog ----.
Spine bent and blown out discs from pelvis tilted to "bad" leg side. One option is to fuse. I know it leaves the back stiff, but does it get rid of the pain? Thanks for sharing.
It helped me. I have only had one back ache in the past 2 years sense the last surgery. The first 2 were in 87 and 89. Back aches got to be a problem. Not anymore. Your milage may vary.
Old 04-25-2017, 03:58 PM
pawpaws toy
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the replies. My surgeon uses the newer surgery that stretches the muscles without cutting them. Also the knee is custom made from a 3-D printer. Biggest problem is having hallucinations from the oxy-codine. Seeing some strange ****!
Old 04-25-2017, 04:07 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by speedracer2
Total knee replacement Monday. So, sun shinning, 55 degrees, I took her out for a run. Put a grin on my face!

Speedracer2
Are you doing it yourself or is your mechanic doing it? Are you going with an upgrade or back with stock parts?
Last question, do you need any special tools for this?

Seriously - Good luck. A buddy of mine had it done a few years ago and is said it made a world of difference not being in pain all the time.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:51 PM
Z06LMB
Melting Slicks

Received 182 Likes on 133 Posts

i had both hips replaced 3 yrs ago. These days it's a one day overnight procedure. A 3 to 4 inch incision - that's all. I didn't do the pt the way I should have done it because my knees were shot and limited me severely.

My question to you guys that had knee replacements. How bad was it for you before you got your knees replaced?

Last edited by Z06LMB; 04-26-2017 at 02:09 AM.

Quick Reply: Knee replacement