Sponsored by:

custom license plates

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 11:13 PM
ronarndt
Drifting

Received 253 Likes on 194 Posts
Default custom license plates

I have my 68 convert registered as an antique vehicle in VA. You have the option of getting a really ugly black and white plate with the next available number from the DMV or you can get what the DMV calls a "vintage" plate. It must be a plate you provide them in good condition issued the exact same year as the model year of the car with a number not in use already. So- I looked on ebay and found 1968 VA plates with a decent number. (there was a set of plates with 78 as the number for $400 that I considered, but did not buy). Now.....I found a place that will make new 1968 vintage plates with any number you want for $100. I think I will verify with the DMV that the 1968 plate "1" is not in use and re- register the car. Other drivers will think the car belongs to the governor.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:27 AM
gungatim
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 84 Posts

I wonder how that works, I assumed you had to have an "originally state issued" plate. I had a plate made from buildasign.com, basically I scanned a '76 plate picture, photoshopped the numbers, uploaded it, and they printed them out on sheet aluminum the same shape and hole spacing as a regular plate. from a few feet away you cannot tell it is not a real plate....wonder if I could use that for a registration? right now it's on the front, and I got the idea from a buddy that did that for his chevelle, people always think it is a real plate.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:25 PM
ronarndt
Drifting

Default plates

Originally Posted by gungatim
I wonder how that works, I assumed you had to have an "originally state issued" plate. I had a plate made from buildasign.com, basically I scanned a '76 plate picture, photoshopped the numbers, uploaded it, and they printed them out on sheet aluminum the same shape and hole spacing as a regular plate. from a few feet away you cannot tell it is not a real plate....wonder if I could use that for a registration? right now it's on the front, and I got the idea from a buddy that did that for his chevelle, people always think it is a real plate.
Requirements probably vary by state. The place that makes the new old plates actually presses the letters and numbers and edges so the plate is embossed just like the officially issued plate.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:14 PM
The Hot Rod Grille
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

West Virginia has requirements that are similar to Virginia. The number "1" would not be available in my state due to being "in service" on the governor's limo. If the number is currently used on ANY year vehicle, it cannot be issued to another vehicle. Fortunately, the letter-number format currently in use is different from what was used in the 1970's, so I was able to license my car with 70-454 on a 1970 WV license YOM plate. I had to take the actual plate to DMV for their inspection and approval for use. They photographed the plate and kept the pic on file with the registration info. The plate is good for 10 years at a total registration cost of $35, and will be renewable by me at that time. The YOM plate has the same restriction as the "antique" plate issued by the state (limited driving to shows, service, etc. and not for regular, daily driving), although I personally have never encountered a problem.
Attached Images  
Old 02-05-2016, 08:09 PM
std1940
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Default custom plates

Check these web sites:
www.licenseplates.tv
www.restoreatag.com
Attached Images   
Old 02-05-2016, 08:39 PM
ZAKsPop
Drifting

Received 153 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by ronarndt
I have my 68 convert registered as an antique vehicle in VA. You have the option of getting a really ugly black and white plate with the next available number from the DMV or you can get what the DMV calls a "vintage" plate. It must be a plate you provide them in good condition issued the exact same year as the model year of the car with a number not in use already. So- I looked on ebay and found 1968 VA plates with a decent number. (there was a set of plates with 78 as the number for $400 that I considered, but did not buy). Now.....I found a place that will make new 1968 vintage plates with any number you want for $100. I think I will verify with the DMV that the 1968 plate "1" is not in use and re- register the car. Other drivers will think the car belongs to the governor.
So, what's the name of the place? I've been looking into this as well.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:51 PM
marshal135
Safety Car

Received 814 Likes on 457 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I purchased a 1968 PA Dealer Plate.
Dealer plates actually have the year issued embossed.
If you just get an old standard yellow and blue plate than
you have to get a replica 1968 registration sticker.
Our Governor allowed vintage cars to display orig.
PA vintage plates several years ago.

I still need to send in the fee so I can display it.
I would imagine it needs to be an original plate as issued by VA
to qualify.
Marshal
Old 02-05-2016, 09:45 PM
danh77
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

When I lived in Florida I purchased 2 original 1965 never issued plates with consecutive numbers for the 65 t birds I had. I had to send the plate to the state for verification that they weren't issued to anything and after that they were good to go. When I moved to NY I bought a 1964/65 plate and had to do the same verification deal. I haven't done anything yet for my vette as a NY state 1977 plate is rather blah. I would be shocked if the dmv would allow you to use a plate that wasn't state issued.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:52 PM
ronarndt
Drifting

Originally Posted by danh77
When I lived in Florida I purchased 2 original 1965 never issued plates with consecutive numbers for the 65 t birds I had. I had to send the plate to the state for verification that they weren't issued to anything and after that they were good to go. When I moved to NY I bought a 1964/65 plate and had to do the same verification deal. I haven't done anything yet for my vette as a NY state 1977 plate is rather blah. I would be shocked if the dmv would allow you to use a plate that wasn't state issued.
"I would be shocked if the dmv would allow you to use a plate that wasn't state issued" That's why I'm going to check before spending the $100 for the plates.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:56 PM
ronarndt
Drifting

Originally Posted by ZAKsPop
So, what's the name of the place? I've been looking into this as well.
it's the licenseplates.tv in the previous post
Old 02-06-2016, 10:56 AM
69L46
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 C3 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by ronarndt
it's the licenseplates.tv in the previous post
I've used that company as well, to make repros for several vehicles. I had a really beat up plate for my '69, and they were able to make a copy which looks brand new, as well an 'E' plate for a restored CHP Mustang that I owned. Came out great...
Old 02-06-2016, 11:34 AM
diehrd
Safety Car

Received 293 Likes on 189 Posts

This has gotten several people upset and many more smiling
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
marshal135 (02-06-2016)
Old 02-06-2016, 01:21 PM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

Received 430 Likes on 308 Posts

In VA you can also get the current issues Antique plates (the orange and blue ones) in customized lettering and numbers. I have 79 L82 on mine. You will have to make sure that the plate you want to create is not currently in use in any format. You can do that by going to DMVnow.com and entering the plate letter/number combo you want into the vanity plate purchase page to tell if it's available or not.
Old 02-06-2016, 05:39 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

In North Carolina they have a very liberal law:
Any motor vehicle of the age of 35 years or more from the date of manufacture may bear the license plates of the year of manufacture instead of the current registration plates, if the current registration plates are maintained within the vehicle and produced upon the request of any person.
So if anyone walks up to you ("any person") and says, "Lemme see your plate!" you gotta show it to em.

You don't have to register the plate, but the letter of the law states that it must be from the same year your car was manufactured. Ironic - my early 68 was manufactured in November 67 so it's first plate was from 1967. Sometimes I display this one:

Last edited by PRNDL; 02-06-2016 at 05:41 PM.
Old 02-07-2016, 10:09 PM
scotty t
Burning Brakes

Received 263 Likes on 104 Posts
Finalist 2022 C1 of the Year - Modified

a few years ago i found an unused 1969 Indiana plate from my county in Florida. it's been on my camaro since. when i bought my 69 vette recently, i found an unused 69 indiana plate on e-bay.
Old 02-08-2016, 10:01 AM
keithinspace
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

I purchased unused state issued plates, but the DMV didn't spend more than 0.5 seconds scrutinizing them. Perhaps because they were metal, black, white, and had random numbers on them.

If you went with something like "1", I'm not sure if you'd have to make sure there are no other Virginia plates with only "1"...I think those low number plates are reserved for the House of Delegates or something. Or, because it is a YOM plate, you're somehow exempt from the whole 'matching number' problem. But then, the doors would be open to a whole gaggle of "1" license plates running around. And that would make the police have a problem when you knock over the liqueur store.

If you can get the custom ones for a price you can live with, you can give it a whirl. I'd be 50/50 on if they'd let you register them, though.
Old 02-08-2016, 10:58 AM
ronarndt
Drifting

Default plates

Originally Posted by C3 4ME
In VA you can also get the current issues Antique plates (the orange and blue ones) in customized lettering and numbers. I have 79 L82 on mine. You will have to make sure that the plate you want to create is not currently in use in any format. You can do that by going to DMVnow.com and entering the plate letter/number combo you want into the vanity plate purchase page to tell if it's available or not.
C3- I didn't think about doing that (going to DMVnow.com) . I previously did that for the regular vanity plate I had on the car (6T8), but I surrendered that plate to get a refund when I got my antique plates. I recall you can "reserve" a number for the vanity plates while you make your mind up about the number. I may do that while the plate is on order.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:19 PM
694speed350
Race Director

Received 119 Likes on 67 Posts

Here in TN my '69 has an antique registration. as long as the plate is in the car I can run any '69 plate on the car.

Get notified of new replies

To custom license plates

Quick Reply: custom license plates