What's it worth

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 09:49 PM
bbcngineer
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What's it worth

Folks,
I need to sell my 72 convertible project car. I bought it in boxes and made some progress. My youngest daughter had som health issues that tabled the project. I got back after the project and got it back together. It has a brand new engine base 350 bored .030. Tranny was rebuilt Muncie 4 speed motor and tranny are original numbers matching. The rear end was rebuilt all new joints, new poly bushings, new VBP rear spring, front VBP transverse spring kit with tubular control arms. Have the original intake, carb, exh manifolds and exhaust along with headman jet coat headers and sweet thunder side pipes. Car was painted original Steel Cities Gray in September of 15. We had a major fire at our house in October and have been displaced since. I need to get rid of the car as I have no place to keep it, no money to work on it and lost all my tools and garage in the fire. Some of the parts also got destroyed like the convertible top. Steel frame can be sandblasted and rebuilt. Bumpers and dash were also lost in the fire. Tons of new parts would be included like rockers, door handles, vac hose kit, all new vac actuators, new carpet kit etc. the hard parts are done on this car. Yes it sucks, but no one was hurt in the fire and the rest is just stuff. What is a fair price?
Kevin
Old 03-17-2016, 06:43 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,278 Likes on 3,915 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Pics would help. Sorry to hear about your house and my prayers go out to your daughter. Glad everyone is okay after the fire. Thats the important part.
Old 03-17-2016, 08:18 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi bbce,

"I bought a basket case 72 vert. First corvette. So prior to purchasing I consulted this forum on what the car was worth. I got prices all over the board and some private messages. In the end the guy had well over 12 k in receipts plus the 7k he paid for the car. He was asking 5 k for it and all the parts. I bought it for the asking price. My thought was even if I got it for a grand cheaper it wasn't a game changer for me. Monday night he stopped by my house and dropped of a brand new set of rocker mouldings and ss window felts. He said that he found them at his dad's house and they went with the car. I didn't know I was missing them. He could have sold them and recovered some of his loss. That's why you should always make a fair deal.
Kevin"

Your quote from a previous post seems to indicate that you realize an unfinished/incomplete car generally can't be sold for the money that it cost to originally buy, plus what work has been done, plus the value of parts that come with it.
I think you need to determine what an ATTRACTIVE price would be in order to encourage someone to spend their money to continue on it at this point.
I don't think you've posted any pictures of the car or the results of the paint job and the mechanical work. Was the car damaged or just some parts that were not installed on it?
Seeing some pictures of the car and the tons of new parts might help someone become interested in continuing your project.
Good Luck!
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 03-17-2016 at 08:35 AM.
Old 03-17-2016, 08:31 AM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 796 Likes on 620 Posts

Default vette

I second that. Pictures would really help your cause. It sounds like from what you describe, the car could be completed and be a nice ride. Most people want one ready to go but there are many of us out there that could and would jump into a project car. Post some pictures so we can help your cause.
RVZIO
Old 03-18-2016, 01:06 PM
CV62Air
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts

Kevin,

First, I hope your little girl is doing well.

Second, I know how devastating it is to recover from a fire. I know it is just "stuff", but a lot of that stuff, not to mention your home, had significant value to you and your family, and dealing with the insurance company can be extremely frustrating. And all the stress on your family over the last several months of being displaced is quite challenging.

Otherwise, I (for my marriage's sake) hope you are far, far, far, away from Virginia! The last thing my wife would want is for me to take on another project. But if you are within a few hours' drive , I would still like to take a look.

Rich
Old 03-20-2016, 05:22 PM
bbcngineer
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys,
Thanks for your kind words and great advice. You guys hit the nail on the head. Most important thing is health. The house is just stuff. The insurance company has been a major pain in the ***. I have thought about this and will probably keep the car. One of my problems is that I don't know what I lost. The cart self is fine. No damage. It was parts that I had stored in my shop that got destroyed. So for sure the dash and instruments, bumpers, convertible top. It needed a new interior anyway. You guys always answer my questions so I am confident we can figure it out.
Kevin
Old 03-20-2016, 07:06 PM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,278 Likes on 3,915 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Good luckdealing with the insurance. Hope it all works itself out.

Get notified of new replies

To What's it worth

Quick Reply: What's it worth