Sponsored by:

Painting Technique

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 06:52 AM
MAP73
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Painting Technique

I am finally putting paint on my 73 coupe. I am having trouble painting behind the rear window and rear deck without it being dry and a bunch of paint dust. I am using a single stage urethane. The lip behind and above the rear window and the inside of the sail panels going toward the rear are hard to reach and seem to generate a bunch of over spray that winds up on the rear deck making it very dry. That area seems to act as a giant venturi that catches paint and swirls it around until it's dry and then dumps it on the rear deck area. I'm only having this problem in front of the fuel filler.

My body is on jack stands and elevated some and it makes getting to that area in the center of the car a stretch. I'm thinking I'm missing something obvious.

I have three coats of paint on it now and am getting ready to wet sand prior to the final coat going on. I would like that coat to be reasonably smooth and go on fairly wet.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks
Mark
Old 03-27-2016, 07:53 AM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

When a buddy of mine sprayed our 71 coupe in my garage, the interior was out of the car, and he shot that overhang and sail panels from INSIDE the car, then went out back to finish laying it on the rear deck.
The following users liked this post:
MAP73 (03-27-2016)
Old 03-27-2016, 08:41 AM
croaker
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

They have a Paint and Body section on this Forum with a few great guys that offer experince
The following users liked this post:
MAP73 (03-27-2016)
Old 03-27-2016, 08:55 AM
MAP73
Instructor

Originally Posted by oldgto
When a buddy of mine sprayed our 71 coupe in my garage, the interior was out of the car, and he shot that overhang and sail panels from INSIDE the car, then went out back to finish laying it on the rear deck.
I put the primer on from the inside, but I figured with the top coat it would risk stirring up a bunch of dirt so I put the window back in and taped it up.
Old 03-27-2016, 12:26 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Are you using a HVLP gun ? It sounds like you are using too much pressure when you are spraying the sail panel area or the paint is too thick. Spray the sail panel area and continue down the deck all in one coat. Don't try to put all of the coats on the sail panel before finishing the deck area or it will show up on the deck as paint dust .
Old 03-27-2016, 12:54 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,126 Likes on 730 Posts

I used a little touch up gun in the area under the lip. The bigger gun was too unwieldy. And like you say generates too much overspray. Also I did that area first and worked my way down the body. Since you don't hardly ever see that part of the car it wasn't a big concern to get it perfect.

It also helped me to do a dry run or two on all the motions prior to getting the paint on. I guess by now you've got that down but maybe not. You can't ever get too much light either.

As mentioned the paint forum is the best place to ask this question.
Old 03-27-2016, 08:02 PM
MAP73
Instructor

Originally Posted by ignatz
I used a little touch up gun in the area under the lip. The bigger gun was too unwieldy. And like you say generates too much overspray. Also I did that area first and worked my way down the body. Since you don't hardly ever see that part of the car it wasn't a big concern to get it perfect.

It also helped me to do a dry run or two on all the motions prior to getting the paint on. I guess by now you've got that down but maybe not. You can't ever get too much light either.

As mentioned the paint forum is the best place to ask this question.
I did post this in the paint/bodywork section and have gotten some good ideas and have a plan. Thanks to all.

Mark
Old 03-28-2016, 10:17 AM
jnb5101
Le Mans Master

Received 100 Likes on 92 Posts

Are you using the correct "speed" of reducer?

Get notified of new replies

To Painting Technique

Quick Reply: Painting Technique