Yet Another Door Rod Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 01:36 AM
Sjfraz1
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yet Another Door Rod Question

Hey y'all!

I have looked through the threads and can't find anything specifically covering my issue.

I have an 81 with power door locks and anti-theft, but have replaced the lock cylinders with manual ones. I am still using the orginal pawls. On the driver side, the pawl isn't long enough to reach the lock actuator on the striker and on the passenger side, the pawl reaches it (striker assembly appears to be pushed outboard more) but it interferes with the door handle rod to the point of jamming. Note: The door rod rotates on almost 180 deg when the door handle is pushed down.

So..

1. Are there different lengths of pawls for the manual locks, longer ones?
2. On the passenger side, should the door rod handle be rotating like that causing the bind?

This is freaking annoying. I have to driver around with the door panels off!

Thanks for help!
Old 04-11-2016, 07:07 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by Sjfraz1
Hey y'all!

I have looked through the threads and can't find anything specifically covering my issue.

I have an 81 with power door locks and anti-theft, but have replaced the lock cylinders with manual ones. I am still using the orginal pawls. On the driver side, the pawl isn't long enough to reach the lock actuator on the striker and on the passenger side, the pawl reaches it (striker assembly appears to be pushed outboard more) but it interferes with the door handle rod to the point of jamming. Note: The door rod rotates on almost 180 deg when the door handle is pushed down.

So..

1. Are there different lengths of pawls for the manual locks, longer ones?
2. On the passenger side, should the door rod handle be rotating like that causing the bind?

This is freaking annoying. I have to driver around with the door panels off!

Thanks for help!
IF you replaced the lock cylinders that DO NOT allow the alarm disarm switch to be installed....then YES...you need longer pawls to take up the difference in length.

I do not know what you mean in question #2.,,,BUT...if you are referring to the ROD that attaches to your OUTSIDE DOOR HANDLE....and when you press it down you see it rotate....that is somewhat normal....as long as you have the CORRECT clip attached to the end of the rod where it goes into the door handle and it is CORRECTLY attached to the rod. That special clip can ONLY go on CORRECTLY one way.

DUB
Old 04-16-2016, 05:12 AM
Sjfraz1
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ah...

Originally Posted by DUB
IF you replaced the lock cylinders that DO NOT allow the alarm disarm switch to be installed....then YES...you need longer pawls to take up the difference in length.

I do not know what you mean in question #2.,,,BUT...if you are referring to the ROD that attaches to your OUTSIDE DOOR HANDLE....and when you press it down you see it rotate....that is somewhat normal....as long as you have the CORRECT clip attached to the end of the rod where it goes into the door handle and it is CORRECTLY attached to the rod. That special clip can ONLY go on CORRECTLY one way.

DUB
Thanks Dub.
I want to buy it all and return her to stock, but man, the shipping to Hawaii if stupid. I am shifting to the transaxle stuff till I can find a company that understands "if it fits, it ships"
Old 04-16-2016, 05:55 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

If you want to...you can cut the pawl and add a section of steel to lengthen it.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Yet Another Door Rod Question

Quick Reply: Yet Another Door Rod Question