Sponsored by:

Header bar and nose bar install on replacement clip

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 02:29 PM
E.Murray
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Header bar and nose bar install on replacement clip

I'm getting ready to put a one-piece clip on my '68 (which had a '74 front clip when I got it). I ordered a bonding strip and metal bar for the header (to hold the headlights) and a new steel reinforcement to go in the nose.
On the header bar, I've read lots of posts and the consensus seems to be to skip the rivets and use a good adhesive. But I've seen people say you need the bonding strip and others say you don't. If I don't have to have it, I'll just leave it out (after I paid $100 for it...). But I don't want to bond the header in, then find out I needed the bonding strip. What's the best way?
Also, how do I position everything since I have no old part to go by and the nose isn't on the car?
On the nose reinforcement, what should I use to mount it?
Thanks for all the help!
Eric
Old 06-09-2016, 03:40 PM
sullyman56
Drifting

Received 272 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by E.Murray
I'm getting ready to put a one-piece clip on my '68 (which had a '74 front clip when I got it). I ordered a bonding strip and metal bar for the header (to hold the headlights) and a new steel reinforcement to go in the nose.
On the header bar, I've read lots of posts and the consensus seems to be to skip the rivets and use a good adhesive. But I've seen people say you need the bonding strip and others say you don't. If I don't have to have it, I'll just leave it out (after I paid $100 for it...). But I don't want to bond the header in, then find out I needed the bonding strip. What's the best way?
Also, how do I position everything since I have no old part to go by and the nose isn't on the car?
On the nose reinforcement, what should I use to mount it?
Thanks for all the help!
Eric
Where did you buy your replacement front clip? I replaced the one on my 68 and the header bar was already installed.
Old 06-09-2016, 03:53 PM
E.Murray
Racer

Originally Posted by sullyman56
Where did you buy your replacement front clip? I replaced the one on my 68 and the header bar was already installed.
This was a used clip and doesn't have any of those parts on it.
Old 06-09-2016, 03:55 PM
sullyman56
Drifting

Received 272 Likes on 198 Posts

Well, that answers that question.
Old 06-09-2016, 04:15 PM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 796 Likes on 620 Posts

Default Header

You might want to tak a look at my post where I have plenty of pictures. Do you have the brackets that attach to the ends of the header. Headlight assemblies and bonding strip. The lights attach to the header. If things are off you will have light to high or to low when closed. Fusor is a good product as well as VPA. Whatever you may be more comfortable with. Mock it all up mark where the header is and attach it with a lot of clamps noted in some of my pictures. Once that is completed you should be ready to dry fit the clip. When you do that the car should be on the ground to check door seams. Patience grass hopper it takes a little time to get it right.
RVZIO
Old 06-09-2016, 05:34 PM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

I removed the "rivet bumps" from an original 71 front clip before I put it on the car. It was easier to work on upside down. The bonding strips stayed on the clip, just the metal header came off.
Then the clip was on the car when I added the metal header & nose brace.
I would say yes, you need the bonding strip under the metal header so the light brackets will line up properly. Sorry I don`t have measurements, but maybe a couple pictures will help.
rvzio is correct about the clamps.... I used a dozen or so cheap ones from Harbor Freight......

Old 06-10-2016, 11:53 AM
E.Murray
Racer

Thanks for the replies. I decided I'm going to use the bonding strip. But I don't understand how to get it positioned right. I can hold it in place with the clamps as you show, but then I can't mount the headlights to see that they'll line up properly. I just nervous about bonding the header in place, then finding out the headlights aren't centered. I'm very patient and want to make sure I have good gaps on everything. Just hoping from some advice before I jump in...
Old 06-10-2016, 01:07 PM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Default header

Okay E. good question. How about if the clip is upside down like mentioned above it does make things easier. With the clip upside down place the headlight assembly in its space. You should be able to see the gaps around the top side. If the clip is on the floor you can prop something under the light and tape the top surface to keep them from moving to much. Also make sure they are flush on the finished side with the clip. Then you should be able to set the bonding strip in place and the header and move them in place or side to side to get a location that allows you to bolt the side brackets to the header. Then you should be able to trace where the header is for installation. You will have a very little bit of wiggle room for some adjustments when done, but not much.
Hope this helps! Good Luck you can do this!!!!
RVZIO

Last edited by SB64; 06-10-2016 at 01:09 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by SB64:
E.Murray (06-13-2016), KYC4 (06-13-2016)
Old 06-11-2016, 07:21 AM
oldgto
Safety Car

Thanks for the replies. I decided I'm going to use the bonding strip. But I don't understand how to get it positioned right. I can hold it in place with the clamps as you show, but then I can't mount the headlights to see that they'll line up properly.
Originally, the metal header was riveted to the bonding strip, then the bonding strip was glued in. So you can glue the bonding strip in & clamp it.... THEN glue the metal header to the bonding strip, using the clamps each time.
Mine was a little easier because I just lined up the holes to where they came off.
As for positioning the bonding strips, if you`re using pre-formed strips hey should just about lay in right where they belong. Note the picture below the one along the front edge of the hood has a more pointed tip.
Then, I would tape in the light brackets as rvzio mentions, and mark where the header goes, then you can move them out of the way to glue & clamp in place.

The following users liked this post:
E.Murray (06-13-2016)
Old 06-11-2016, 08:08 AM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by oldgto
Originally, the metal header was riveted to the bonding strip, then the bonding strip was glued in. So you can glue the bonding strip in & clamp it.... THEN glue the metal header to the bonding strip, using the clamps each time.
Mine was a little easier because I just lined up the holes to where they came off.
As for positioning the bonding strips, if you`re using pre-formed strips hey should just about lay in right where they belong. Note the picture below the one along the front edge of the hood has a more pointed tip.
Then, I would tape in the light brackets as rvzio mentions, and mark where the header goes, then you can move them out of the way to glue & clamp in place.

Oldgto, I think I thaned you in my post but if I didn't Thanks for the pictures. I used the same system and it all worked out fine. I think E. Murray has the problem of locating the correct spot but he should be able to do it with our help. Nothing like doing it yourself. Very rewarding!
Nice info! Go get it done E.
RVZIO
Old 06-11-2016, 08:15 AM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by oldgto

Oldgto, I think I thaned you in my post but if I didn't Thanks for the pictures. I used the same system and it all worked out fine. I think E. Murray has the problem of locating the correct spot but he should be able to do it with our help. Nothing like doing it yourself. Very rewarding!
Nice info! Go get it done E.
RVZIO

Oh yea you can rivet the bonding strip to the brace like I did but that's you call

Old 06-13-2016, 12:29 PM
crf311
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 74 Posts

Just don't do it the way Fantomworks fixed a header piece on the last episode. I use to think they did great work. They cut out the fiberglass piece which the header is riveted to , then riveted the header back to the cut out piece, then reglassed in. When they showed the vette with it cut out I though what a bunch of dumbazzez.
Old 06-13-2016, 04:10 PM
oldgto
Safety Car

Originally Posted by crf311
Just don't do it the way Fantomworks fixed a header piece on the last episode. I use to think they did great work. They cut out the fiberglass piece which the header is riveted to , then riveted the header back to the cut out piece, then reglassed in. When they showed the vette with it cut out I though what a bunch of dumbazzez.

They could`ve saved themselves a LOT of work, AND had it fixed right, if only they`d checked in here first!
Old 06-13-2016, 04:29 PM
KYC4
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 39 Posts

This is really useful info, gents! I will be having to do similar work to my son's '76 next year. Thank you for the pics and explanations!

Grateful,

Lee
Old 06-13-2016, 05:33 PM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by crf311
Makes no sense, if you are that far into the restore do it right and be done with it. The knowledge you get and the rewards that you did it yourself are immeasurable. With the people on the forum having your back it can be done for those who need to do this.
RVZIO
Old 06-16-2016, 03:48 PM
Randy Robinson
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Parts you may need

Eric
Here are some parts for this project. I will do this again with the front end in place. Hood, Radiator and Core support are removed for replacement, and repairs.

https://www.paragoncorvette.com/p-36...ement-kit.aspx

Get notified of new replies

To Header bar and nose bar install on replacement clip

Quick Reply: Header bar and nose bar install on replacement clip