Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with 77 Luggage Rack!

Old 06-25-2016, 09:45 PM
Mike Geisz
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with 77 Luggage Rack!

I have a 77 and it already has the holes for the rack but they look different than the after market racks that are available. Same size and pattern. I know its an 8 hole but the lower holes look like slots instead of holes. Anyone who can help identify what I'm looking at would be greatly appreciated. I would like to buy a rack and not have to modify the current holes in any way. Please see the picture and let me know if i just need to buy a regular 8 hole rack or if this requires something else.
Old 06-26-2016, 07:19 AM
LongRoadHome
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Any chance you can pull those up out of the holes? I'm thinking they might all just be plugs to fill the holes, but I could be wrong.

On my '77 whoever painted the car had left a couple grommet type things that the other holes don't have. All 8 holes still there, just painted over it all. Amazing they couldn't have at least removed those grommets (maybe oversized holes there??) and filled the holes before a repaint.

Anyway... reason I thought plugs is because I put little plugs into mine to try improving the appearance. 3/16" size I believe.

If yours seem to be glued in you might want to skip the idea of pulling them or risk damaging paint.

Don't see holes for the round ones, otherwise I could imagine they might be able to squeeze mounting bolts/screws through them. Although slots look very narrow in your picture.

Last edited by LongRoadHome; 06-26-2016 at 07:20 AM.
Old 06-26-2016, 09:13 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I haven't seen the oval plugs before your pic. Would it be possible to contact the previous owner to determine where he/she obtained the rack?
Old 06-26-2016, 11:15 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Since you already have holes in the deck, you need to find a matching luggage rack, if you wish to install one. Otherwise, you will need to drill other holes to fit with presently available racks, also.

You will need the dimensions between holes to compare with possible racks, so you can select the right one. You could go to eBay and look for "Corvette luggage racks" and evaluate any that require 8 mounting holes.
Old 06-26-2016, 08:05 PM
Mike Geisz
4th Gear

OK, update: I did pull the plugs and there are round holes under the plugs. I was a little thrown off by the oval plugs but they are in a round hole. It now appears i just need to find the right rack to line up with the holes. Any suggestions on the brand of rack i should buy? I plan on having this on the car with the t-top mounts for the rest of the time I own her. Any brands I should avoid?
Old 06-26-2016, 08:10 PM
Mike Geisz
4th Gear

Originally Posted by LongRoadHome
Any chance you can pull those up out of the holes? I'm thinking they might all just be plugs to fill the holes, but I could be wrong.

On my '77 whoever painted the car had left a couple grommet type things that the other holes don't have. All 8 holes still there, just painted over it all. Amazing they couldn't have at least removed those grommets (maybe oversized holes there??) and filled the holes before a repaint.

Anyway... reason I thought plugs is because I put little plugs into mine to try improving the appearance. 3/16" size I believe.

If yours seem to be glued in you might want to skip the idea of pulling them or risk damaging paint.

Don't see holes for the round ones, otherwise I could imagine they might be able to squeeze mounting bolts/screws through them. Although slots look very narrow in your picture.
I did pull the plugs and low and behold... perfectly round holes! Thanks for the advice. I was a little scared to scratch the paint but was careful with the putty knife.
Old 06-27-2016, 01:57 PM
Mike Geisz
4th Gear

So it appears my inside holes are not the correct distance apart to purchase a new rack. The new ones are 6 5/8" between the top two middle holes above the gas cap and the lower two holes are 6 11/16" between the bottom holes. My holes are spaced at 7" both top and bottom. All the other hole measurements are good except for the middle holes. Any ideas on where I could find one that matches my dimensions?
Old 06-27-2016, 06:51 PM
Vette Fetish
Pro

I purchased a stainless steel luggage rack from Eckler's. It states Clearly that factory roof panels Will Not fit this rack.

Below that item a luggage rack for years 1976-1977 is shown. There is no info stating that the roof panels Will Not fit this luggage rack. It is available in S/Steel or chrome.

We have always found Eckler's customer service to be very helpful when we asked questions. If you don't have a catalog or their phone # it is 1-800-327-4868.

Last edited by Vette Fetish; 06-27-2016 at 06:51 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Help with 77 Luggage Rack!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help with 77 Luggage Rack!