Q-Jet running very rich.

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 12:46 PM
dkleather
Melting Slicks

Received 337 Likes on 262 Posts
2016 C2 of the Year Finalist

Default Q-Jet running very rich.

I'm working on my deceased brother's 72 350/200/4-speed, all stock, for his widow. He was the second owner since 1980. It's been sitting for six years but with a new battery and prime, started right up. There were no brakes so I bled and fixed them. Changed oil and filter. Drained the gas and put in new. Tank looked great inside. Car runs good so carb air mix is okay I think.
The carb (original) ran rich even when he was alive and he had it rebuilt twice but it still had exhaust that smelled like the choke was on. It still does stink! And the choke is full open after warm up.
I'm thinking the first owner may have messed with the jets inside the carb which has caused the problem ever since he owned it and were not replaced by the rebuilders. Is there a way for me to check this? Can original size jets be purchased? Where should I start?
Old 07-12-2016, 04:03 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,608 Posts

have you started by adjusting the mixture screws on a fully warmed up engine?
Old 07-12-2016, 09:11 PM
dkleather
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MelWff
have you started by adjusting the mixture screws on a fully warmed up engine?
I have and they affect how it idles and revs but doesn't change the rich smell. Thanks.

Last edited by dkleather; 07-12-2016 at 09:15 PM.
Old 07-13-2016, 06:46 AM
midigike
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 141 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

When it runs and drives does it hesitate when you put your foot in it? What is it idling at, Rpms? Remember there is no catalytic converter to scrub the exhaust and it will smell like horsepower candy.
Old 07-13-2016, 08:23 AM
dkleather
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by midigike
When it runs and drives does it hesitate when you put your foot in it? What is it idling at, Rpms? Remember there is no catalytic converter to scrub the exhaust and it will smell like horsepower candy.
There's no hesitation when I accelerate hard and it idles at 800 rpm as measured by the tach. I have a 64/327/300 and know that " no converter horsepower candy smell" (). This smell is much richer, similar to my 64 at warm up with full choke, but the choke is off. That's why I'm thinking something inside is dumping extra fuel while it runs warmed up. I don't know enough about the workings of these carbs to figure out what might have been altered by a PO, if anything, or what might be wrong to cause this.
Thanks.
Old 07-13-2016, 09:08 AM
71 Green 454
Le Mans Master

Received 1,186 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by dkleather
There's no hesitation when I accelerate hard and it idles at 800 rpm as measured by the tach. I have a 64/327/300 and know that " no converter horsepower candy smell" (). This smell is much richer, similar to my 64 at warm up with full choke, but the choke is off. That's why I'm thinking something inside is dumping extra fuel while it runs warmed up. I don't know enough about the workings of these carbs to figure out what might have been altered by a PO, if anything, or what might be wrong to cause this.
Thanks.
I would take a hard look at the float and needle valve. When mine ran rich, the original float stopped floating to shut off fuel. Or, you could have a bad needle valve or seat.

Last edited by 71 Green 454; 07-13-2016 at 09:10 AM.
Old 07-13-2016, 09:31 AM
dkleather
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 71 Green 454
I would take a hard look at the float and needle valve. When mine ran rich, the original float stopped floating to shut off fuel. Or, you could have a bad needle valve or seat.
Thanks, I'll check. Makes sense that those might cause extra fuel to burn. Dave
Old 07-13-2016, 10:08 AM
tfringo
Melting Slicks

Received 93 Likes on 82 Posts

Default I agree.

That is the first place I would look. Make sure you get a float that will handle the modern gas and make sure it is not set too high.

There is a person on the internet that specialized in rebuilding all sorts of Quadrajets, stock and performance modifications. You would have to look them up. They have great right-ups on how they work, etc. They had the right parts and such and they were great at answering questions.

I would look closely at the power valve inside also. I don't think it would cause those symptoms but I would look at it anyway and rebuild it as well.

Look for signs of an internal gas leak. If you take it apart, put the main body parts on a flat surface and make sure they are not warped. People over tighten the screws and they get warped. Good news, you can usually fix them. That company that I mentioned had a fixture for that.

As I recall, you an take the air cleaner off while at idle and look down the primaries, it is possible to see if excess fuel is dribbling off the primary venturies. You can't see the secondaries. This is something that might help confirm your problem.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Just adding this. Look at the spark plugs and make sure they are correct. I would consider using a slightly hotter plug. This is something I have heard others doing.

Last edited by tfringo; 07-13-2016 at 10:44 AM. Reason: additional information added
The following users liked this post:
dkleather (07-13-2016)
Old 07-13-2016, 10:35 AM
71 Green 454
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by tfringo
That is the first place I would look. Make sure you get a float that will handle the modern gas and make sure it is not set too high.

I would look closely at the power valve inside also. I don't think it would cause those symptoms but I would look at it anyway and rebuild it as well.

As I recall, you an take the air cleaner off while at idle and look down the primaries, it is possible to see if excess fuel is dribbling off the primary venturies. You can't see the secondaries. This is something that might help confirm your problem.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

I found my float problem by looking down into the carburetor and seeing excess fuel dribbling in. If you do replace the float and needle valve, I would also replace the pump plunger that can handle ethanol.
Old 07-13-2016, 10:44 AM
dkleather
Melting Slicks

I found my float problem by looking down into the carburetor and seeing excess fuel dribbling in. If you do replace the float and needle valve, I would also replace the pump plunger that can handle ethanol.
Do I look while it's running or after shut off? Running, I assume? ThanksDave

Last edited by dkleather; 07-13-2016 at 10:46 AM.
Old 07-13-2016, 10:46 AM
tfringo
Melting Slicks

Default Hi again,

Just wondering if it still has its smog system on it. If it does, can you tell me the head stamps you see on the three bolts attaching the smog pulley. Sorry for the side question.

I'm working on my deceased brother's 72 350/200/4-speed, all stock, for his widow. He was the second owner since 1980. It's been sitting for six years but with a new battery and prime, started right up. There were no brakes so I bled and fixed them. Changed oil and filter. Drained the gas and put in new. Tank looked great inside. Car runs good so carb air mix is okay I think.
The carb (original) ran rich even when he was alive and he had it rebuilt twice but it still had exhaust that smelled like the choke was on. It still does stink! And the choke is full open after warm up.
I'm thinking the first owner may have messed with the jets inside the carb which has caused the problem ever since he owned it and were not replaced by the rebuilders. Is there a way for me to check this? Can original size jets be purchased? Where should I start?
Old 07-13-2016, 10:50 AM
tfringo
Melting Slicks

Default While running....

Doing it while running. But some cars will do it after you shut them off. This is sometimes the gasoline smell that people complain about after shutting them off.

dkleather (07-13-2016)
Old 07-13-2016, 10:54 AM
dkleather
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by tfringo
Just wondering if it still has its smog system on it. If it does, can you tell me the head stamps you see on the three bolts attaching the smog pulley. Sorry for the side question.
The car isn't here for me to check. I'll look early next week for you. Sorry for the delay.
Sent you a PM.

Last edited by dkleather; 07-13-2016 at 10:56 AM.
Old 07-13-2016, 10:57 AM
tfringo
Melting Slicks

Default Ok

Thanks. I have a very complete 72 smog pump system for a small block. I will be selling it. I just need a few thing for it.

If you can get pictures of it or any numbers off the hoses I would appreciate it. You could send pictures of (509) 953-8992 of tfringo@aol.com Thanks

The car isn't here for me to check. I'll look early next week for you. Sorry for the delay.
Old 07-13-2016, 11:03 AM
71 Green 454
Le Mans Master

Yes, with it running, I could see the plenty of excess fuel going in.

Good luck,

Dave
dkleather (07-14-2016)
Old 07-13-2016, 12:46 PM
daustin
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like the float sunk. A lot of the floats in the QJet are "polyfill" or "Nitrofill" and don't take well to the ethanol gas. I just rebuilt one for a friends 72 Buick GS 455 that the poly float sunk. Got a real brass float, carb rebuild kit with the blue or green ethanol accel pump that should take care of that problem for a long time.

Don
dkleather (07-13-2016)
Old 07-13-2016, 01:02 PM
dkleather
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by daustin
Sounds like the float sunk. A lot of the floats in the QJet are "polyfill" or "Nitrofill" and don't take well to the ethanol gas. I just rebuilt one for a friends 72 Buick GS 455 that the poly float sunk. Got a real brass float, carb rebuild kit with the blue or green ethanol accel pump that should take care of that problem for a long time.

Don
Can I do that by only pulling the top off the carb? I know I can on an AFB like on my 64 but what about the Q-jet? Dave

Get notified of new replies

To Q-Jet running very rich.

Old 07-13-2016, 01:39 PM
71 Green 454
Le Mans Master

Can I do that by only pulling the top off the carb? I know I can on an AFB like on my 64 but what about the Q-jet? Dave
That's how I replaced my float in the early 80's, but now I remove it from the engine when replacing any parts.
Old 07-13-2016, 04:02 PM
dkleather
Melting Slicks

That's how I replaced my float in the early 80's, but now I remove it from the engine when replacing any parts.
After posting that I thought about it and decided with my luck I'd probably drop some small part down inside and have to remove it anyway. I'll take it off. Thanks.Dave
Old 07-13-2016, 04:54 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,608 Posts

have you checked any of the ignition basics before removing the carburetor.
Have you checked the physical condition of the cap, rotor, and points?
Have you checked the plug wire resistance with an ohmmeter, 1k per foot of wire.
What spark plugs are installed, manufacturer and part#? Are they correctly gapped?
Did you check the point dwell?
Did you check the initial timing?

Quick Reply: Q-Jet running very rich.