Sponsored by:

Broke college student '77 build thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 11:55 AM
Richard Daugird
Melting Slicks

Received 718 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by mysticpete
Shame they sell carpets that don't fit then do nothing when you complain, WON'T be using Wilcox again!!
Have you tried contacting him personally here on the forum? He has been pretty helpful, although I haven't bought much for my car yet.
Old 09-06-2016, 06:31 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

I think the car would look better with Chevy Orange hood stripes.

And six taillights.
Old 09-06-2016, 06:47 PM
rgwoehr
Burning Brakes

Received 604 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Shark Racer
I think the car would look better with Chevy Orange hood stripes.

And six taillights.
Don't forget the corporate blue/Chevy orange smiley face
Old 09-07-2016, 01:24 AM
Ryan Menzies
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I have been following this post- actually binge read the whole thing yesterday evening/night. Took a long time and enjoyed the whole thing. I just got home and got caught up on the rest of the posts from today.
I'm extremely pleased that a younger man has this dedication to long project like this. This is not building a simple deck in the back yard. You pushed through some huge adversity and have come out ahead ! I'm sure you've thought " Is there a light at the end of the tunnel !?" You're almost there

Also a note for the masses (Because I haven't seen mention of this, unless I missed it) you are doing this in a DRIVEWAY ! No hoist, paint booth, shade, wind break...nothing. Well done from Canada sir ! Keep going, there are many here pulling for you
Old 09-07-2016, 09:03 PM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

I just took the time to go through this whole thread, and I have to say I'm impressed!
I didn't read word for word, so if you said already I apologize for missing it, but what kind of manual trans are you planning? I love my 4 spd 79, but I sure wish it were a 5 spd overdrive.
Old 09-08-2016, 12:56 AM
rgwoehr
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ryan Menzies
I have been following this post- actually binge read the whole thing yesterday evening/night. Took a long time and enjoyed the whole thing. I just got home and got caught up on the rest of the posts from today.
I'm extremely pleased that a younger man has this dedication to long project like this. This is not building a simple deck in the back yard. You pushed through some huge adversity and have come out ahead ! I'm sure you've thought " Is there a light at the end of the tunnel !?" You're almost there

Also a note for the masses (Because I haven't seen mention of this, unless I missed it) you are doing this in a DRIVEWAY ! No hoist, paint booth, shade, wind break...nothing. Well done from Canada sir ! Keep going, there are many here pulling for you
Thank you. It sure didn't seem like there was a light at the end of the tunnel while I was stripping the paint off haha.

Originally Posted by C3 4ME
I just took the time to go through this whole thread, and I have to say I'm impressed!
I didn't read word for word, so if you said already I apologize for missing it, but what kind of manual trans are you planning? I love my 4 spd 79, but I sure wish it were a 5 spd overdrive.
Thanks. I have no idea if I've already mentioned what transmission I'm gonna use, but it's gonna be a muncie. I thought about waiting until I could afford a 5 speed to do the swap but it just doesn't seem worth it to me right now. I don't think I'd be able to use the overdrive much with my 3.08 rear end. My uncle has a muncie that he got from my dad a long time ago but isn't gonna use so he's giving it to me.
Old 09-08-2016, 03:38 AM
mysticpete
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard Daugird
Have you tried contacting him personally here on the forum? He has been pretty helpful, although I haven't bought much for my car yet.
No, I sent them photos of how bad the carpet had been cut and how it was short in places, phoned them too and they promised to do something, never heard anything again, so they just get a bad wrap from me.

Fortunately there are plenty of other suppliers who can match and provide better service and quality, I use Corvette Central nearly all the time now, great service and support and they always try and get better shipping rates for me.
I'm just pissed that Wilcox get away with supplying a low quality crap product, the guy who cut the drivers floor carpet must have been pissed when he did it!!

Luff said, I'm over it now
Old 09-08-2016, 01:11 PM
rgwoehr
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mysticpete
No, I sent them photos of how bad the carpet had been cut and how it was short in places, phoned them too and they promised to do something, never heard anything again, so they just get a bad wrap from me.

Fortunately there are plenty of other suppliers who can match and provide better service and quality, I use Corvette Central nearly all the time now, great service and support and they always try and get better shipping rates for me.
I'm just pissed that Wilcox get away with supplying a low quality crap product, the guy who cut the drivers floor carpet must have been pissed when he did it!!

Luff said, I'm over it now
You should post this in the transaction feedback forum, you're more likely to get help there than here. I'm sure they'll try to resolve this issue if they see your post over there. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-feedback-153/

Last edited by rgwoehr; 09-08-2016 at 01:14 PM.
Old 09-09-2016, 09:10 PM
rgwoehr
Burning Brakes

Picked up my 4 speed this morning. I think I've got everything I need for the swap now, but no time and nowhere to do it... I might not get to it until after I move.
Old 09-09-2016, 09:24 PM
crawfish333
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 187 Posts
CI 6-7 & 9 Veteran

Where in Texas is your family moving?
Old 09-09-2016, 10:16 PM
rgwoehr
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by crawfish333
Where in Texas is your family moving?
Dont know exactly where yet but it'll be somewhere a little north of Austin. Probably Georgetown or round rock.
Old 09-20-2016, 10:12 PM
rgwoehr
Burning Brakes

Not a very exciting update, but I got a chance yesterday to put the door handle gaskets in. Fortunately I didn't have to remove the handles, I just had to loosen them and pull them up a bit and was able to pull them around the edges of the handles. Today my 2 cans of interior dye showed up, so I should be able to paint the rest of the blue parts of the interior this weekend. And now that a bit of time has passed since I polished it, I'm not happy with the result, so I'll definitely be doing more wet sanding when I get a chance. It still looks pretty hazy, and when I'm driving it, the orange peel on the hood surround looks terrible.
Old 09-21-2016, 09:27 AM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 136 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by rgwoehr
Dont know exactly where yet but it'll be somewhere a little north of Austin. Probably Georgetown or round rock.
I have one of my best friends that lives in Georgetown. He is just as big of a car guy as me. If you need any help he can help you out. Just let me know
The following users liked this post:
rgwoehr (09-21-2016)
Old 09-21-2016, 04:22 PM
rgwoehr
Burning Brakes

I tried to drive it today but didn't get very far. The motor was bogging down under light acceleration. Looks like I've got something to do tonight now.
Old 09-22-2016, 10:47 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,179 Likes on 2,739 Posts

I tried to drive it today but didn't get very far. The motor was bogging down under light acceleration. Looks like I've got something to do tonight now.
Practice....Practice......repeat.......

Keep at it!

The following users liked this post:
rgwoehr (09-24-2016)
Old 09-24-2016, 03:38 PM
rgwoehr
Burning Brakes

Last night I took the cap off the distributor and there were a bunch of crap on the contacts on the inside. The terminals don't look very good either, so I think it's time for a new cap and rotor. I cleaned the contacts and it seems to be running better now.

This morning, I pulled the passenger side dash pad and kick panel out and painted them. It took 4 or 5 coats to cover the blue. I had to put some giant washers on the screws in the door jamb because those holes are destroyed. I might have enough paint left to do the sides of the center console, but those things are in pretty bad shape and I think it might be a waste to paint those.

Last edited by rgwoehr; 09-24-2016 at 03:39 PM.
Old 09-24-2016, 06:40 PM
CFLVette
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

<---SNIP---> I had to put some giant washers on the screws in the door jamb because those holes are destroyed.

I would cut a couple of round pieces of vinyl, paint them the same color and glue them on the washers and screw heads. That could be an acceptable solution until you're ready to buy replacement panels.

Just a thought.

Get notified of new replies

To Broke college student '77 build thread

Old 09-24-2016, 09:50 PM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 136 Likes on 74 Posts

Check out the screws that are supposed to mount those dash pieces. They have a big washer on them, mind you not as big as what you put on them, but it should be enough. I believe they are about the same diameter as a dime. I would be amazed if you have holes bigger than that.

Here is a link to them. maybe all you need was the right screws?
https://willcoxcorvette.com/corvette...ashers-8-piece
Old 09-25-2016, 03:10 AM
rgwoehr
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CFLVette

I would cut a couple of round pieces of vinyl, paint them the same color and glue them on the washers and screw heads. That could be an acceptable solution until you're ready to buy replacement panels.

Just a thought.
That would look better, but I'd have to get longer screws

Originally Posted by chstitans42
Check out the screws that are supposed to mount those dash pieces. They have a big washer on them, mind you not as big as what you put on them, but it should be enough. I believe they are about the same diameter as a dime. I would be amazed if you have holes bigger than that.

Here is a link to them. maybe all you need was the right screws?
https://willcoxcorvette.com/corvette...ashers-8-piece
Whoever had the interior apart before I bought the car used the screws you use along the top of the dash on the sides with some dime sized washers but those broke through the dash pad. I really need to get one of those interior screw sets and replace them all because most of the screws are wrong. I definitely didn't need washers as big as what I used but they were the first ones I found that would work with the screws I have.
Old 09-27-2016, 01:18 PM
aoz06
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whoever had the interior apart before I bought the car used the screws you use along the top of the dash on the sides with some dime sized washers but those broke through the dash pad. I really need to get one of those interior screw sets and replace them all because most of the screws are wrong. I definitely didn't need washers as big as what I used but they were the first ones I found that would work with the screws I have.
I noticed the same problem from the prior owner. I'm painting my interior pieces now and order a full interior screw set. I'm not even going to try and put it all back together until the set comes in

Quick Reply: Broke college student '77 build thread