Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 75 rear pictures

What do you think?
Attached Images   
Old 07-30-2016, 06:02 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Honestly??? It looks like what it looks like. A Corvette with a wing added on. Literally.

But what I think does not matter...if you love it...then that is all that should matter.

DUB
Old 07-30-2016, 06:44 PM
Giant_Robot
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Nope.
Old 07-30-2016, 07:12 PM
LS4 PILOT
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

It does not work to me. Worse than the 78-79 stock rear spoiler add on.

If you like it , that's the only opinion that counts.
Old 07-30-2016, 07:53 PM
30below
Advanced

Originally Posted by LS4 PILOT
It does not work to me. Worse than the 78-79 stock rear spoiler add on.

If you like it , that's the only opinion that counts.
Pretty much what I thought also.Went to look at it,is a frame off resto and xtremly well done.You could eat off the bottom,but not sure I could live with the rear.
Old 07-31-2016, 08:04 AM
30below
Advanced

Originally Posted by 30below
Pretty much what I thought also.Went to look at it,is a frame off resto and xtremly well done.You could eat off the bottom,but not sure I could live with the rear.
Wonder how much work/cost to remove it and repair the holes ,paint etc?Any body people out there?
Old 07-31-2016, 09:34 AM
LongRoadHome
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Interestingly enough it looks okay to me and I don't care to have spoilers on any of my cars.

Something about this car gives it a contemporary look. Maybe I don't mind it because I haven't had a C3 Corvette until just recently.
What I see is the overall newness of its appearance and I would hate to think of changing that just to remove a spoiler, especially if you like those things in the first place. Especially considering the restoration condition being so good.

Makes me wonder how LED 3rd brake light and maybe even LED turn signals might have looked if those had been incorporated into the thin back line of it. Only problem is that I prefer original cars compared to modified ones and that would probably be over the top for me.

Anyway, I guess what I'm trying to say is that I couldn't imagine "fixing" it just for the sake of removing that spoiler. I tend to leave well enough alone, afraid to tamper with things if nothing's functionally wrong.
Old 07-31-2016, 01:26 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,316 Posts

To remove it and fix the holes, won't be easy. You'll have to deal with matching the paint, which can be a problem especially with reds. You may end up painting half of the car, or at least the top of the back half, in an effort to fully bend the paint in too.

Finally, you'll have the problem of permanently filling the holes. Anyone who has ever tried filling the holes from a luggage rack, will tell you that the holes never really go away. Holes filled in fiberglass, almost always seem to eventually sink and return. People have managed to eliminate them permanently, but short of replacing the whole rear deck, it's hard to guaranty that they won't come back.
Old 07-31-2016, 06:30 PM
DUB
Race Director

Wonder how much work/cost to remove it and repair the holes ,paint etc?Any body people out there?
I do work on all areas of Corvettes for a living...and this repair would not be FUN.

A really good painter could keep the paint on the top surface and NOT get into the quarters by 'back taping' the top quarter panel line...and that is not the worst part.....the WORST part is actually getting the holes filled...and it is not so much the holes themselves...but rather the shrinkage that WILL occur when the job is done and ten TIME will show what I am talking about.

Any time a repair breaks through the layers of primer, paint and clear....these layers will react differently when products are applied on them...and then show up in time....especially on a top surface like this repair would.....and you will be able to see the 'rings' where the paint was sanded off so the holes could be fixed....

There is really no way around it UNLESS you removed ALL the paint on the upper rear body panel...then the layers could NOT react differently...because they would not be on the car.

AND...the painter would need to get the red REALLY close if they were NOT wanting to get below the top feature line in the quarter panel.

DUB
Old 07-31-2016, 07:03 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

I do not really care for the generic spoiler when they could have tracked down a turbo rear wing or pace car spoiler and it would have fit and flowed far better,

I am going to guess the car is not a bargain priced item, since its a frame off that the builder must have liked this spoiler any negative remark about it will not be well accepted,

As far as bodywork to remove it, on fresh paint seems a waste but look at all the c3's that had luggage racks that a new owner thought looked gross and had removed and the holes filled,
A good body shop would have no problem with this job,

If you otherwise love the car and can get a good price I would suggest hitting up Ernie Willcox a supporting vendor here and corvette shop owner he can give you a run down what it would take to remove the spoiler....
Old 07-31-2016, 07:26 PM
DUB
Race Director

Make no mistake about it...if it is currently fresh paint or NOT...this repair will be not as easy as some feel it is for 'any good body shop'.

Look at all the holes where luggage racks were and often times you can TELL where they were located....OR.... the drill holes when panels were installed using screws....and they show up in TIME.

I am sure Ernie will confirm what I wrote....seeing how I do know what I am talking about.

30+ years of doing this and if anyone feels I am misdirecting this member...guess again. I am commenting from EXPERIENCE.

DUB
Old 07-31-2016, 07:53 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by DUB
Make no mistake about it...if it is currently fresh paint or NOT...this repair will be not as easy as some feel it is for 'any good body shop'.

Look at all the holes where luggage racks were and often times you can TELL where they were located....OR.... the drill holes when panels were installed using screws....and they show up in TIME.

I am sure Ernie will confirm what I wrote....seeing how I do know what I am talking about.

30+ years of doing this and if anyone feels I am misdirecting this member...guess again. I am commenting from EXPERIENCE.

DUB
Geez, dub my ever word on here isn't some slam against you...please relax,
No one said you were misdirecting anyone, you made it loud and clear to me you do everything the best.

My remark about paint being new didn't reflect if the repair was easy or hard, it reflected that doing all that paint wrecking work on new paint is a waste of that new paint, I get it you find filling holes a very difficult repair.

Of course it's hard to fill in holes and not have show through and we both know many body men have filled in the holes and had no show through I am sorry yours show through in time,

I will not speak for Mr Willcox or drag him into your personal issues with me,
I suggested him to the OP

And please out of respect to others if you want to drag this OT out please hit me in private...
Old 07-31-2016, 10:13 PM
30below
Advanced

Originally Posted by The13Bats
Geez, dub my ever word on here isn't some slam against you...please relax,
No one said you were misdirecting anyone, you made it loud and clear to me you do everything the best.

My remark about paint being new didn't reflect if the repair was easy or hard, it reflected that doing all that paint wrecking work on new paint is a waste of that new paint, I get it you find filling holes a very difficult repair.

Of course it's hard to fill in holes and not have show through and we both know many body men have filled in the holes and had no show through I am sorry yours show through in time,

I will not speak for Mr Willcox or drag him into your personal issues with me,
I suggested him to the OP

And please out of respect to others if you want to drag this OT out please hit me in private...
Thanks for the replys guys.You are right about them being a little touchy on the rear wing remark
The following users liked this post:
The13Bats (07-31-2016)
Old 07-31-2016, 10:25 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Thanks for the replys guys.You are right about them being a little touchy on the rear wing remark
I love custom/modded corvettes that my thing but I also do not like all of them or each modification, which should matter one iota,
custom touches are to please the owner/builder and how many people will like it depends on lots of things, the spoiler on this car isn't "horrible" I have seen way, way worse it's just not going to be too many peoples cup o tea, and the seller is going to get a lot of people less than thrilled with it,

another consideration is a base model 74-77 isn't really the most expensive c3's and a restored one has far more invested than it will get back, that too has to have the seller a little unsettled,

I have to be nosey curious how much are they asking?

If it's a super nice car at a great price I wouldn't let the spoiler be the deal killer.....
Old 08-01-2016, 10:00 AM
30below
Advanced

Bats ,pictures
Attached Images   
Old 08-01-2016, 10:02 AM
30below
Advanced

couple more
Attached Images   
Old 08-01-2016, 04:59 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

The spoiler looks very much like an afterthought and not a very good one at that.

But, if the car is as nice as you say, and the pictures seem to indicate, I would think of it as a $1000 mistake but not dismiss it for that alone.

Good luck... GUSTO

Last edited by GUSTO14; 08-01-2016 at 05:00 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 75 rear pictures

Old 08-01-2016, 05:40 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by the13bats
geez, dub my ever word on here isn't some slam against you...please relax,
no one said you were misdirecting anyone, you made it loud and clear to me you do everything the best.

then why reply here at all when i did not quote you directly. Everything i write is not directed at you. Got that!

my remark about paint being new didn't reflect if the repair was easy or hard, it reflected that doing all that paint wrecking work on new paint is a waste of that new paint, i get it you find filling holes a very difficult repair.

Of course it's hard to fill in holes and not have show through and we both know many body men have filled in the holes and had no show through i am sorry yours show through in time,
filling in holes is no big deal to me...it is just a process...but i feel you think it is for me. ***newsflash**** filling in holes is not hard for me. Mine do not show through...because i know what i am doing. Got that! But that depends on the scenario...which i can clearly see you are not aware of at all....which i explained in my first post which you must not have comprehended.
i will not speak for mr willcox or drag him into your personal issues with me,
i have no personal issues with you...that is where you are mistaken...obviously you have issues with me do to direct comments to my quality of work.
i suggested him to the op

fine by me. A great source of knowledge and information.

and please out of respect to others if you want to drag this ot out please hit me in private...

practice what you preach!!!! You want me to pm you in private but you comment on the quality of my work being questionable. You make me laugh. Never seeing anything i have done but you can throw out your speculations. But in the same post you write this:you made it loud and clear to me you do everything the best.
dub
Old 08-01-2016, 05:41 PM
DUB
Race Director

30below,

The car looks rather nice...very clean and represented very nicely.

DUB
Old 08-01-2016, 05:43 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

I see posts about buy as much c3 as you can and some get a bit elitist as they forget all of us do not have their wallet, but in many ways I wish I could have afforded a turn key restored c3 but I couldn't.

In the case of a truly restored ready to go c3 that has a good or great price will each and every little things be 100% what the buyer wants likely not but it's no crime to change something down the road,

This car looks pretty darn squared away and nice, if the price was good and it was something I wanted the spoiler wouldn't kill it for me even if I hated the spoiler so badly it had to come off before I drove it, that is not the case here....this is a ready to drive car so the things that play in are price and condition.

Quick Reply: 75 rear pictures