Sponsored by:

Front Crossmember Repair

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 10:23 AM
Duffeball
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Front Crossmember Repair

I'm working on fixing my front cross member where someone cut and welded in gussets. I ground down the bigger welds and have to ask a question.

I'm planning on leaving the welded in place and place for structure. However the plates don't go all the way to the bottom of the crossmember. Should I weld all the way to the bottom for strength? Or should I leave it open just in case water gets down there and has somewhere to drain? Please see the pictures below. I'm actually kind of annoyed that they are there.

Last edited by Duffeball; 08-05-2016 at 10:24 AM.
Old 08-05-2016, 06:07 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Depending on this metal plate and if it is bowed so the lowest point are where the holes in it are located. I would weld it up or add more welds.

OR...weld it up...add some water and see where the low spots are and if it is pooling..I would drill holes in that area so it can drain...

Then I would either go through the process with POR-15 or I would spray the heck out of it with the SEM or 3M 'weld-thru' coating and let it ride. Then weld in the top plate.

NOW...not meaning to throw your head into a tail spin. Doing all you can from this side of this gusset is fine...but hopefully you can see and get to the underside and see what it looks like. Because it is somewhat pointless to preserve one side of a metal plate and leave the other side alone.

DUB

Quick Reply: Front Crossmember Repair