Sponsored by:

Corvette Hobby Thoughts - Long Post

Old 10-19-2016, 11:47 AM
tyancey00
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteT65
How timely! I'm new (this is my first post) and am trying to learn all I can before possibly buying a C3. Until I convince the wifey to let me get one, I can at least I can have fun learning all about them: )

I'm not a total noob, but close! I have a 914 I'm having fun learning how to fix, but it's a completely different car. I also have done minor work (tuneups oils changes, transmission fluid change) on my 2011 chevy truck.

1. I've read the post about what to look for, and this one. Is there anything else people who want to buy need to know? Other posts I should read?

2. I'd like to take someone with me, or have a pre-purchase inspection done. Is there anyone in SoCal (northern LA area) who does this?

3. This car came up on craiglist: https://losangeles.craigslist.org/an...818162886.html
Any thoughts on what to look for? The seller states the birdcage is solid. He's selling it because he's moving. Seems motivated.

4. Where are good places to buy parts?

Thanks for any help and advice.
I would for sure go have a look at this...
Old 10-19-2016, 12:09 PM
jim in oregon
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 104 Posts

ALLC34ME..others..some sage advice and thots for those contemplating such ventures..no matter whether it's a hobby car, a home..or what.
MY grandpa used to tell us boys.."plan the work & then work the plan"..and he also said often..( We were farmers) " IF you don't take the time to do it well..WHEN are ya gonna find time to DO IT OVER?"

lastly.. I think Clint Eastwood said in one of his old movies.."A man's got to know his limitations.."..Magnum Force 1973..I was recently back from 6 yrs in SE Asia and working as LEO in Washington D.C.jim
The following users liked this post:
AllC34Me (10-19-2016)
Old 10-19-2016, 12:13 PM
Stroh
Drifting

Received 269 Likes on 152 Posts

Great post!

I was able to become a student of corvettes through a rolling restoration of a 1975 I recently sold. And by working with forum member Hooah on his 69 project. That first hand knowledge (with much of it gained here with your great advice) is invaluable. That practice car of mine turned out pretty darn nice, but I don't think I'd have stuck with it unless I could drive it along the way... So I definitely agree with Alan's advice about seeing the progress.

The OP's pre-purchase considerations might very well be as much must read as the 10 things to know sticky post. Great stuff.

Maybe this is just rephrasing what's been said earlier in this thread, but I think it's also important to consider how much help you'll have along the way too. Whether it's a wife, son, or buddy (Thanks, Hooah) that helps hold the new windshield, doesn't maybe matter so much as that there is --someone--. Much of these resto's are solo gigs, but there will nearly always be times when you need someone to assist you in your garage. If you don't have that someone, that should probably be factored in to the decision.

I'm looking forward to following this advice to letter before my next C3 purchase. Thanks!
AllC34Me (10-19-2016)
Old 10-19-2016, 03:01 PM
Richard Daugird
Melting Slicks

Received 717 Likes on 517 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteT65
1. I've read the post about what to look for, and this one. Is there anything else people who want to buy need to know? Other posts I should read?

2. I'd like to take someone with me, or have a pre-purchase inspection done. Is there anyone in SoCal (northern LA area) who does this?
I'd like to mention, consider emissions requirements where you live, esp. Kommiefornia, anything newer than '75('74?) requires inspection/sniffer. In the great state of Texas antique cars require NO inspection whatsoever if you run antique plates.
AllC34Me (10-19-2016)
Old 10-20-2016, 12:39 PM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 317 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard Daugird
I'd like to mention, consider emissions requirements where you live, esp. Kommiefornia, anything newer than '75('74?) requires inspection/sniffer. In the great state of Texas antique cars require NO inspection whatsoever if you run antique plates.
This is another point that is often overlooked. I actually joined the forum because I had already bought an 81 which miserably failed CA smog testing, without which I couldn't transfer ownership.

The real challenge for me was not knowing enough about the regulations and not knowing enough about the car. More importantly, I didn't know what I didn't know. I ended up spending over $1k on a $3k car to get it to pass. One of the real annoyances was $250 for a carb rebuild. I later learned about the CCC and that mine was working fine. In retrospect, I don't think they touched the carb and just pocketed the money. The reason that it failed was it had a "test pipe" in place of a catalytic converter. I didn't even know such a thing existed. Again, knowledge is key but knowing local people that had been through it would have saved me a world of pain.

By the way, in CA it's 1975 and older that is smog exempt.
Old 10-22-2016, 07:45 PM
yyz1970
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Great post, I always refer to a statement by Jay Leno...
"Buy a car you like and can afford, if it goes up in value...Great, if it doesn't you still own a car you like"
jim in oregon (10-23-2016)
Old 10-22-2016, 09:23 PM
mardyn
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Great advice in this thread... I got impatient in my search and jumped on a '73 car two years ago...

I was blinded by the fresh(ish) new red paint and shiny new wheels and tires. What I thought was a good deal turned into to only a fair deal once I got it home.

I've spent a few thousand dollars plus countless hours of my own time bringing the car up to my acceptable standard.

It is a decent car now, but with the time/effort/$$$ I've spent, I could have bought a much nicer car to start with and saved myself a lot of trouble in the long run.

The old Corvette journey continues.

Tell us your story so well feel better about ours....

mardyn

Last edited by mardyn; 10-22-2016 at 09:26 PM.
Old 10-23-2016, 03:41 PM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

My long and ugly journey is documented here on the forum here.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...barn-find.html

If only I knew then, what I know now, but so it goes.
Live well.
David
Old 10-23-2016, 04:27 PM
jim in oregon
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by yyz1970
Great post, I always refer to a statement by Jay Leno...
"Buy a car you like and can afford, if it goes up in value...Great, if it doesn't you still own a car you like"
That's a great attitude we should have about our C3's!.
I have enjoyed the learning process, the planning, the work..and the expense..Most of all..I enjoy the finished work, done well and the driving yet to be done to enjoy the first absoltely Impractical car we have ever owned..At our age( some of us anyhow) have had enuf of being practical to last a lifetime...
Lastly..in most of our lives, we all have memories of things we might have done better, Not done at all..but one cannot go back in time and redo or undo a single thing..
Concerning our appreciation of great cars..

That's why the windshield is so much bigger than the rear view mirror.
Much more important to be able to see clearly where we are wanting/needing to Go in this life than to dwell on where we have been.

the caveat to this is we DO try NOT to repeat past mistakes and when we can..do our best to help others who travel the same roads on this journey..so they might better avoid life's potholes and hazards..Jim
Attached Images  
The following 3 users liked this post by jim in oregon:
20mercury (10-23-2016), marshal135 (10-25-2016), Richard Daugird (10-24-2016)
Old 10-24-2016, 01:59 PM
Richard Daugird
Melting Slicks

Well said Jim...

Last edited by Richard Daugird; 10-24-2016 at 02:00 PM.
jim in oregon (10-24-2016)
Old 10-24-2016, 11:46 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

Space. Gotta keep it somewhere, usually the garage which means one of the daily drivers (yours, most likely) gets to stay outside so cold mornings are spent clearing snow, worries about potential hail dings and all get to the point where your project budget is now going to garage expansion. Don't forget a car taken apart takes up a bunch of space.
AllC34Me (10-25-2016)
Old 10-25-2016, 01:38 PM
Richard Daugird
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Zoomin
Don't forget a car taken apart takes up a bunch of space.
Yes, and a half-dozen taken apart takes up a LOT of space!!!
Old 10-25-2016, 02:14 PM
marshal135
Safety Car

Received 793 Likes on 444 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

David,
I just read you post and can say this should be an introduction included in every corvette book.
I can not find 1 argument in the post.
I purchased a driver, 10 footer to be specific... 68 BB in 2011.
I probably could not sell it today for the 2011 purchase price.
But in my nativity, I can say I was fortunate I found a BB AC 4spd car w/ many desirable options ie....P/S, P/B, Tele wheel, AM/FM stereo.
I now like this coupe better than the convertibles of this era.
Originally, I was searching for a convertible bumper car w/o any set guidelines on engine or options.
I again was fortunate but not everybody fairs as well.
Great insight provided for the young and certainly a good overview for the older buyer/owner.
Thanks,
Marshal
AllC34Me (11-02-2016)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Corvette Hobby Thoughts - Long Post