Sponsored by:

Help and advice please

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 11:53 AM
BlondeBeachBum7777
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help and advice please

Hey Guys, so I have a 1968 Corvette convertible(with both tops) original miles of 23,550, garage kept. Having two children , being a single mother I have to make the tough choice and sell my fathers two cars (The other one is a 1973 914 2.0 L Porsche prototype,33,750 original miles) I just took off the 4 two BBLs with the manifolds and plan on putting back the original manifolds and Quadra jet (For two reasons, 1: to give it back the "stock" and 2: might be easier to kick it over since my Dad said they are a b**ch to synchronize and you need an air flowmeter blah blah blah It was a little hard to take off the distributor last night but was able to do it. Should I replace the original pushrods while I'm in here or should I keep the original ones? None are broke , but show little rust. The car ran fine my issue is , this beautiful car has been sitting for 30 years. This is the first time I've really taken on a project like this so what better place to ask for some guidance. I do not have the money to go take it to a shop and have them wake up the corvette and Porsche, nor am I selling my cars for pennies (someone offered me for both vehicles and all the new parts I have for the Porsche for ten grand total. I feel that's very low. These cars are immaculate inside. Great on the outside and paint is in great condition. Oh and same with the tops .)
sorry for rambling on I wanted to give you some background, side note: my father is going blind so it's hard for him to truly help me. Any advice or ideas would be much appreciated. I would like to keep the car original as much as possible.

Thanks for your time!
Always, The Blondie who is a beach bum at heart
Old 10-21-2016, 03:01 PM
crawfish333
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 187 Posts
CI 6-7 & 9 Veteran

I cannot give mechanical advice, but I would defintely not sell the Corvette without consulting an expert on asking price. It sounds like you may have something special there. The mechanical stuff can be taken care of but it is hard to find a car that is otherwise pristeen.

Last edited by crawfish333; 10-21-2016 at 03:02 PM.
Old 10-21-2016, 09:34 PM
BlondeBeachBum7777
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for some insight! I have had the same feeling! Today was a lucky day, had a friend bring over a scope, the inside of the engine looks fantastic! Since it's been sitting for so long, even in the garage, one never knows right?... and wow! I was impressed as so was he!
Old 10-22-2016, 08:03 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,294 Likes on 3,920 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

I would post pics of both. The 68 in good driver condition with a non original motor would start at $20,000, add another $5000 with the original motor and then go from there.

I dont have experience with the Porsche but you could look at prices on a porche forum to get an idea. Ebay and craigslist for similar vehicles could get youin a ball park.

Get notified of new replies

To Help and advice please

Quick Reply: Help and advice please