It has black leather seats and black cut pile carpet
What is the best place to get pre molded carpet that
would be easy to install myself?

Also, I actually like the old style loop carpet
Anyone have that? I think it came with the vinyl interior
Do you like it?
Same question about the best place to get that one too

Thanks

Last edited by gleninsandiego; 10-28-2016 at 02:39 AM.
Old 10-28-2016, 05:09 AM
revitup
Burning Brakes

Received 221 Likes on 186 Posts

The major corvette shop in my area, high end restorations, gets their carpet from MidAmerica. Al Knoch was a highly regarded carpet kit supplier at one time but not so much now, I've heard. I don't know that any would be easier than another to install.
Old 10-28-2016, 07:03 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

All the major Corvette providers carry carpet sets. For the most part, there are only two manufacturers: Al Knoch and Corvette America.
Old 10-28-2016, 07:25 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi gw,
You're right in thinking the 'loop' carpeting was the 'standard' interior carpeting along with vinyl seat covers.
Installing carpet is something that many owners do themselves but it's not exactly "easy" to do well.
Each piece takes time to trim and fit. Most people report that the pieces for each of the wheel-wells in the rear compartment take the most work.
You can figure on it being more than just one Saturday morning's work.
Remember the seats, sill plates, kick panels, and quarter trim need to come out. Also, the rear compartment frame needs to be loosened because the some of the carpet tucks under it and the compartment doors need to come apart too to replace the carpet on them.
Good Luck!
Regards,
Alan

Also the carpet installer's rule….. measure, measure, measure, and then cut 1/2 what you think you should cut, and then measure again!
The following users liked this post:
Andy Tuttle (10-28-2016)
Old 11-01-2016, 01:28 AM
tpfarm
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

Hey GW; I bought ACC carpet for my '73 from Wilcox corvette about two years ago, the fit was good just a lot of trimming . As Alan71 stated the wheel wells were the worst to fit but I think that Wilcox has worked with ACC to remedy that problem to an extent, check with them before you buy. The cut pile is correct for your leather interior if you want to keep it original looking.
Old 11-01-2016, 05:11 PM
VCuomo
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan 71
... Also the carpet installer's rule….. measure, measure, measure, and then cut 1/2 what you think you should cut, and then measure again!
You got that right!

I found it was best to leave extra after the cuts, then lay the carpet piece down, then do a final trim using a carpet knife (not a utility knife) with the carpet in place.

OP: I used Al Knoch's carpet kits in two C3s, although this was more than 5 years ago. I had no problems with their product.

Last edited by VCuomo; 11-01-2016 at 05:12 PM.
Old 11-01-2016, 05:21 PM
540 vette
Race Director

Received 300 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi gw,
You're right in thinking the 'loop' carpeting was the 'standard' interior carpeting along with vinyl seat covers.
Installing carpet is something that many owners do themselves but it's not exactly "easy" to do well.
Each piece takes time to trim and fit. Most people report that the pieces for each of the wheel-wells in the rear compartment take the most work.
You can figure on it being more than just one Saturday morning's work.
Remember the seats, sill plates, kick panels, and quarter trim need to come out. Also, the rear compartment frame needs to be loosened because the some of the carpet tucks under it and the compartment doors need to come apart too to replace the carpet on them.
Good Luck!
Regards,
Alan

Also the carpet installer's rule….. measure, measure, measure, and then cut 1/2 what you think you should cut, and then measure again!

And before you install it check to make sure you don't need other things in the interior or some of them painted. Might as well get it all done at once.

The OP will be starting a new thread on Friday that he is starting a frame off. Thats how easy it happens.
Old 11-02-2016, 12:25 AM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by 540 vette

The OP will be starting a new thread on Friday that he is starting a frame off. Thats how easy it happens.
I was thinking the same thing

What I predict will happen is he'll remove the rear compartment frame, find the rivets for the jack hold down are missing and decide it'll be easier to repair with the body on a rotisserie.

Get notified of new replies

To Need new carpet for my 73

Quick Reply: Need new carpet for my 73