Sponsored by:

Stupid rear spring question

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 04:59 PM
Redhook98
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Stupid rear spring question

I have been chasing a lean on my 73 since I got it. It has always been about 1 - 3/4 inch low on the drivers rear, and 1/2 inch higher on the passenger front. Body mounts, tire pressure, sway bar, etc have been checked and verified. No frame damage. I replaced the front springs with 550s from VBP, and the rear with a VBP 330 mono. Bilstien shocks all the way around and new sway bar end links (adjusted correctly). Car handles incredible now. New car feel. Lean is still there, maybe a little better now.

I did just notice that my rear spring was not exactly square side to side though. (measured from end of spring to rim) About 3/8 inch off on one side (i.e. I did not install it perfectly lined up on the rear end, side to side). The extra 3/8 inch is on the drivers side (the low side). Will that much offset cause my lean? I am pretty sure I can just loosen the four bolts and carefully pry it over so it's even, but am I getting to the crux of the lean?

Most say they do not even notice it, but it is ALL I see. I am sure you all know what I am talking about.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Redhook98; 11-18-2016 at 05:02 PM.
Old 11-18-2016, 05:15 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Left side?????????? Lose weight
Old 11-18-2016, 05:17 PM
Redhook98
Racer

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
Left side?????????? Lose weight
Normally I would agree, but its the same whether I am in the car or not. Not gonna fatten up the wife either!
Old 11-18-2016, 05:37 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi R98,
Too nice a car to have that lean!!!!
ANY chance the right side is up? What's it's 'R' ride height dimension?
I really think you need to post a couple of 'rear suspension' photos in hopes that someone spots something that's resulting in that much difference.
Have you made some frame to ground measurements? That would definitely eliminate any possibility of body mounts causing all or part of it.
???
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 11-18-2016 at 05:47 PM.
Old 11-18-2016, 05:43 PM
64roadster
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Had a similar issue on two of my cars. On my Z28 it turned out I didn't have one of the front coil Springs sitting in the pocket properly. On my C2 I had to adjust the bolts on the rear spring. I simply adjusted them equally, threadwise, when I installed the spring. Many CF members suggested frame damage but fortunately I took a ton of pics before I began working on the car. It sat fine before the frame off so there had to be simpler fix.
Old 11-18-2016, 06:26 PM
Redhook98
Racer

Both front springs are indexed correctly. Frame checked. Car only has 20k documented miles with no damage. Body mounts still nice and soft. Its in the suspension somewhere. Anyone ever heard of the ramifications of an 7nevenly mounted rear spring?
Old 11-18-2016, 06:35 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,173 Likes on 2,735 Posts

I also had a serious Leaning problem on my project:

I used jackstands to level the frame of my project left to right and front to rear. Then I stretched strings front to rear and right to left under the frame---I leveled the strings about an inch above the concrete floor (to compensate for high and low spots on the floor)

Then I measured from the framepoints to the strings to DOUBLECHECK for a bent/twisted frame.

Once I located frame problems I measured the front suspension thoroughly and corrected those problems.

Then I measured the rear suspension and found several problems which I corrected/am currently correcting.

If there must be some lean I will make sure it is high 1/4" to 3/8" on the driver's side to compensate when I sit in the car (but that's just me)
The following users liked this post:
jr73 (11-20-2016)
Old 11-19-2016, 02:48 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by Redhook98
I have been chasing a lean on my 73 since I got it. It has always been about 1 - 3/4 inch low on the drivers rear, and 1/2 inch higher on the passenger front. Body mounts, tire pressure, sway bar, etc have been checked and verified. No frame damage. I replaced the front springs with 550s from VBP, and the rear with a VBP 330 mono. Bilstien shocks all the way around and new sway bar end links (adjusted correctly). Car handles incredible now. New car feel. Lean is still there, maybe a little better now.

I did just notice that my rear spring was not exactly square side to side though. (measured from end of spring to rim) About 3/8 inch off on one side (i.e. I did not install it perfectly lined up on the rear end, side to side). The extra 3/8 inch is on the drivers side (the low side). Will that much offset cause my lean? I am pretty sure I can just loosen the four bolts and carefully pry it over so it's even, but am I getting to the crux of the lean?

Most say they do not even notice it, but it is ALL I see. I am sure you all know what I am talking about.

I have to be honest........to me, most of the Corvettes that I've seen, in the C-3 era, ALL seemed to have a "little lean". And this is something that I've observed over a LONG period of time. I honestly thought that there was a body assembly issue at the factory......I'm serious!!

Anyway, OP, have you taken any height measurements, from the frame to the ground, at similar points on each side? As many people have pointed out, over time, that using the wheel openings as a reference isn't a great thing, as there are small differences in the car's body. But if you measure from the frame to the ground, then you can determine if it's a suspension issue, or something like a bad body mount, or lack of a body shim.
Old 11-19-2016, 06:26 PM
slofut
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by doorgunner
I also had a serious Leaning problem on my project:

I used jackstands to level the frame of my project left to right and front to rear. Then I stretched strings front to rear and right to left under the frame---I leveled the strings about an inch above the concrete floor (to compensate for high and low spots on the floor)

Then I measured from the framepoints to the strings to DOUBLECHECK for a bent/twisted frame.

Once I located frame problems I measured the front suspension thoroughly and corrected those problems.

Then I measured the rear suspension and found several problems which I corrected/am currently correcting.

If there must be some lean I will make sure it is high 1/4" to 3/8" on the driver's side to compensate when I sit in the car (but that's just me)
Frame measurements first is paramount and doorgunners diagram is a great headstart. Otherwise you're chasing ghosts even though you may get lucky and catch it.
Old 11-19-2016, 06:47 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

I am surprised no one has mentioned adjusting the spring mount bolts?
Old 11-19-2016, 08:00 PM
Redhook98
Racer

Originally Posted by paul 74
I am surprised no one has mentioned adjusting the spring mount bolts?
I actually cranked the drivers side about 1/2 inch more on that bolt than the passengers side. No difference.

The main question I am asking is if the spring itself not being perfectly centered could contribute to the problem. ?
Old 11-19-2016, 08:45 PM
sunflower 1972
Drifting

Received 536 Likes on 362 Posts

I tend to agree with leadfoot4. All the folks I spoke with regarding the left lean seem to agree it's just one of the idiosyncrasies of C3's.
Old 11-20-2016, 05:24 AM
revitup
Burning Brakes

Received 221 Likes on 186 Posts

I actually cranked the drivers side about 1/2 inch more on that bolt than the passengers side. No difference.

The main question I am asking is if the spring itself not being perfectly centered could contribute to the problem. ?
I would just straighten out the rear spring situation and eliminate that possibility. I would also loosen and retorque the upper and lower control arms, starting with the right side, to make sure a pivot isn't bound up. Check their condition at the same time.

Last edited by revitup; 11-20-2016 at 05:30 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Redhook98 (11-20-2016)
Old 11-20-2016, 06:22 PM
Redhook98
Racer

Originally Posted by revitup
I would just straighten out the rear spring situation and eliminate that possibility. I would also loosen and retorque the upper and lower control arms, starting with the right side, to make sure a pivot isn't bound up. Check their condition at the same time.
They were pretty stiff. They are all 100% original, but who knows what has been done. Good call. Will try that, and measurement on the chassis. I appreciate everyone input.
Old 11-20-2016, 06:47 PM
jr73
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 166 Posts

My 73 sits like that too.
Its just the frame on the wheels no body or motor or tranny but she sits funny like that. Low on the drivers side.
Old 11-20-2016, 06:53 PM
Bills17n72
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 510 Likes on 359 Posts

hey redhook98 if you need a spring ,there is a guy not to far from me has a new 9 leaf for sale its for $50 ,if you are interested ,I can get some information for you,he also has one from a 72 ,that I think he said is new!Oh by the way ive had five C3s and I didnt ever notice any of them leaning to one side!!

Last edited by Bills17n72; 11-20-2016 at 11:39 PM.
Old 11-20-2016, 06:54 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,173 Likes on 2,735 Posts

They were pretty stiff. They are all 100% original, but who knows what has been done. Good call. Will try that, and measurement on the chassis. I appreciate everyone input.
Let us know your findings. I didn't go into detail as it would take a couple pages.

Get notified of new replies

To Stupid rear spring question

Old 11-20-2016, 10:52 PM
builtwright
Cruising

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

The rear leaf has a centering hole and can't be moved. Have you checked your strut rod adjustment? After reassembly of my rear end one of mine loosened and I had a lean also.
Old 11-21-2016, 02:17 AM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Received 599 Likes on 533 Posts

what about taking it out and turning it around ? have you tried that ?
Old 11-21-2016, 10:46 AM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,327 Likes on 959 Posts

Default Springs

I know you said that the front springs were installed correctly. Did you index them to the top of the frame? My 66 was off by about 1.25 inches in the back. I removed and reinstalled the front springs and now I am within .25" at all four corners. I used blue painters tape on the top of the spring so I could easily see the end of the spring in the upper frame pocket. I believe the measurement should be 3/8" from the upper hole in the frame. Let us know what you find. Jerry

Quick Reply: Stupid rear spring question