Sponsored by:

Original parts or repop?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 11:16 PM
nutt
Racer

Received 117 Likes on 71 Posts

Default Original parts or repop?

I could sure use a little help on identifying some C3 parts. I believe these belong to a '76 but not 100% sure.
I came across a set of rocker moldings with a set of NOS GM hardware for them. No wrappers on the moldings.
Also, a set of sill plates that are new as well.
Also, a driver's side inner door panel, black with woodgrain insert, new as well.

No part numbers are visible and I'm just unsure if they are repop or oem. Would any of these parts have GM part numbers? They were found in a warehouse and had been there at least 20 years. The door panel looks incredible, not just a slab of fabric glued to a hardboard but a molded panel that looks very authentic. I'm not familiar with C3s so I could sure use a little help.
I'll try to post pics a little later, phone is not sending pics to my computer for some reason.

Thanx gentlemen!
Old 11-23-2016, 07:03 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by nutt
...Would any of these parts have GM part numbers?...
If original GM, all of your items had GM part numbers. Is there a date stamp on the back side of the door panel?
Old 11-23-2016, 08:19 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi nutt,
None of the 3 parts you mention had part numbers on them originally.
Perhaps this info will help you determine what parts you have.
The reproduction rocker trim moldings are not very well 'formed' at their ends compared to originals. Also the width of the black detail stripe may vary from originals.
The configuration of the surface detail on reproduction sill trim is sill panels is slightly different than the originals. The width and spacing of the raised ribs varies compared to the reproduction. Also, the manner it was applied, and extent of, the black detail paint, is notable different.
All original GM door trim panels used pressed fiberboard as the substrate, the reproduction panels from the few manufacturers making them use black abs plastic.
Regards,
Alan

The sill plates.

The door panels typically had a date stamp on them and what may be a manufacture's mark(?).

Original rocker trim…. notice how cleanly the ends are formed.

Last edited by Alan 71; 11-23-2016 at 08:34 AM.
Old 11-23-2016, 10:23 AM
Rowdy Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 439 Likes on 257 Posts

Original parts are always preferable to service or reproduction parts.

Several problems exist with regard to that statement though.

First, original parts can become so worn (or corroded, or damaged, etc.) that they become either unserviceable, unrestorable, or not aesthetically usable in a restoration. You'll have to make a judgement call on where you want to be with the finished product. The main reason to use original parts is they look, fit, and work exactly as they should.

Second, service (aka "NOS") parts may or may not be exactly like the original production line part. Just because something is labeled NOS doesn't mean that it is a perfect replacement for "the real deal."

Reproduction parts may or may not be a good representation of the original part. Some are exactly like the original (come from the same tooling or same OEM manufacturer), some are relatively close, and others make you wonder if any effort was made to look at an original part before the reproduction was made.

Work into all of this the cost of truly original production configuration parts and you'll find yourself with the decision of how accurate you want the restoration to be and what your restoration budget can absorb.

Regards,

Stan Falenski
Old 11-23-2016, 10:33 AM
nutt
Racer

Received 117 Likes on 71 Posts

Wow Alan! Fantastic response, much appreciated!!
It does appear all these are NOS. Looking forward to going back for more. The guy took over a warehouse literally full of various items, some worthless, some of value.
Thanx again!!
....I'll probably be back with more questions soon.
Attached Images      
Old 11-23-2016, 11:30 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi nutt,
Yes, from the photos it appears you may have found some very nice parts.
As I said, because of their differences some reproduction parts are quite disappointing to someone trying to restore a car to a high level of originality.
Be especially careful with the rocker trim and sill plates because the anodizing is pretty easy to mark-up and the aluminum is quite 'soft'. I'd try to wrap them separately to protect their appearance.
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 11-23-2016 at 01:24 PM.
Old 11-23-2016, 12:26 PM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,686 Likes on 1,414 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I am sure glad I am not stuck on the NOS original track. Things like door panels....originals may fit better than new reproduction BUT, the new door panels use plastic inside rather than cardboard, which is easily damaged by water, and one reason reproduction door panels are even needed. My Corvette America door panels fit but had a bow to them that I had to work out with heat, once that was done, it fits perfect, looks perfect, and rain will never hurt them.

Despite what I hear on this forum, I have use a number of reproduction parts on my restoration, and many of them work perfectly fine, and still do. As for NCRS types, there may be some minor issues with repro parts that are irrelevant to me and most others. The mention above on the door sill plates is an example...the new ones I bought are beautifully made, and fit just fine. No regular person would see the minor differences pointed out. Same with the ends of the rocker panels.....hidden from view unless you crawl around on the ground.
Old 11-23-2016, 03:00 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by iwasmenowhesgone
I am sure glad I am not stuck on the NOS original track. Things like door panels....originals may fit better than new reproduction BUT, the new door panels use plastic inside rather than cardboard, which is easily damaged by water, and one reason reproduction door panels are even needed. My Corvette America door panels fit but had a bow to them that I had to work out with heat, once that was done, it fits perfect, looks perfect, and rain will never hurt them.

Despite what I hear on this forum, I have use a number of reproduction parts on my restoration, and many of them work perfectly fine, and still do. As for NCRS types, there may be some minor issues with repro parts that are irrelevant to me and most others. The mention above on the door sill plates is an example...the new ones I bought are beautifully made, and fit just fine. No regular person would see the minor differences pointed out. Same with the ends of the rocker panels.....hidden from view unless you crawl around on the ground.
Not all of us are looking for NCRS points as long as the parts work decent as far as fit and appearance but you do have to watch for the inferior parts that are out there that are almost unusable. I think that we are all glad that they do reproduce these parts even though they are not always perfect.
Old 11-23-2016, 05:13 PM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,686 Likes on 1,414 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

What would be examples of unusable reproduction parts. That may be useful to some.

After a four year restoration on my 77, using as many original parts that were worthy, and all the others reproduction, I did not find ONE reproduction or aftermarket part that did not fit and function well.

Last edited by Torqued Off; 11-23-2016 at 05:14 PM.
Old 11-23-2016, 05:26 PM
SwampeastMike
Melting Slicks

Received 427 Likes on 377 Posts

What would be examples of unusable reproduction parts. That may be useful to some.

After a four year restoration on my 77, using as many original parts that were worthy, and all the others reproduction, I did not find ONE reproduction or aftermarket part that did not fit and function well.
Headlamp door actuators! I went through five new ones before I finally got one (driver side) that didn't leak significantly upon arrival or after just a few operations. I could never find a non-leaking passenger side actuator but a forum member sold me a NOS unit that works great.
Old 11-23-2016, 06:49 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Just a couple that gave me problems were the cheaper import outside door handles. Both had flaps that stuck in the down position when you open the doors. Another is the vacuum limit switch for the wipers under the wiper door , and the stainless aftermarket trim piece on the back of the wiper door. Just to name a few , there are many more.
Old 12-17-2016, 02:00 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

I remember a member last year who started a thread about the absolute disaster he had trying to install a repro dash in his C3. I believe (not positive!) it was made by Corvette America and he had a great deal of frustration about the part's fit. He also had several members chime in and agree.

I am repeating this per my memory and the dash in my '69 was nice so it was not replaced in the restoration, so I do not have first hand knowledge. Others can chime in here.
Old 12-17-2016, 06:47 PM
Blue73Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 192 Likes on 136 Posts

A repro fan shroud for my small block 73. It did not fit as well as I expected at the beginning and has since slightly warped. Will eventually replace it as it warps closer to the fan blades.
Fran

Get notified of new replies

To Original parts or repop?

Quick Reply: Original parts or repop?