Sponsored by:

Door locks

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 01:40 AM
Edward M
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door locks

I bought a '72 coupe a few months ago but the door keys were lost. I replaced the driver side lock assembly today and I was going bananas because I can't get the door key to both lock and unlock the door. I completed the installation but the outside door lock will only unlock with the key (not such a bad thing). To lock the door I have to lock it from the interior **** then close the door. Is this correct?
Old 11-26-2016, 08:20 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Edward,
WELCOME!
First Post!!!
And a 72 Corvette. Pretty NICE!
No, you should be able to use the key to both lock and unlock the door from the outside of the car.
Do you know if the key would operate the lock properly before you installed it?
If it did, it sounds like it's a linkage problem between the lock cylinder and the lock ****.
Is that **** difficult to turn?
You should feel a bit of resistance when you turn the ****, but it should almost 'snap' from open to locked and locked to open.
Sometimes the inside of the door trim panel can make it difficult for the lock **** to move the long rods far enough to lock and unlock the door.
???
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 11-26-2016 at 08:36 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Edward M (11-27-2016)
Old 11-26-2016, 12:25 PM
Edward M
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi Edward,
WELCOME!
First Post!!!
And a 72 Corvette. Pretty NICE!
No, you should be able to use the key to both lock and unlock the door from the outside of the car.
Do you know if the key would operate the lock properly before you installed it?
If it did, it sounds like it's a linkage problem between the lock cylinder and the lock ****.
Is that **** difficult to turn?
You should feel a bit of resistance when you turn the ****, but it should almost 'snap' from open to locked and locked to open.
Sometimes the inside of the door trim panel can make it difficult for the lock **** to move the long rods far enough to lock and unlock the door.
???
Regards,
Alan

Thanks Alan,

I didn't think this was correct. I never owned a car where the lock only worked one way. I had the door panel off when I replaced the cylinder and the lock mechanism, rods, latch all appear to operate normally. The lock does "snap" when I operate it with the rods. The pawl on the back of the cylinder seems to have a lot of play in it, too much play, where it doesn't let the lock cylinder swing the lock mechanism far enough in both directions. I'm trying to describe the action best I can. Without the cylinder in place and holding the cylinder in my hand, I can move the pawl up and down almost a half rotation. Seems like a lot to me.
Old 11-26-2016, 12:37 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Edward,
I understand what you described…. an it does sound like a problem with the pawl.
I think the lock is going to have to come out if you're going to try a repair!
Even when tuning the key I get a sense that I'm moving the rods…. there's not really any 'play'.
Sorry!
Regards,
Alan

Looks like quite a nice car in your avatar!

Last edited by Alan 71; 11-26-2016 at 12:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Edward M (11-27-2016)
Old 11-26-2016, 01:31 PM
Edward M
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi Edward,
I understand what you described…. an it does sound like a problem with the pawl.
I think the lock is going to have to come out if you're going to try a repair!
Even when tuning the key I get a sense that I'm moving the rods…. there's not really any 'play'.
Sorry!
Regards,
Alan

Looks like quite a nice car in your avatar!

Unfortunately I agree. I was just looking at Eckler's and see that there are left and right pawls. I'm wondering if I have the wrong side pawl. It would explain why the lock was not connected when I took it apart. Thanks for your input.
Old 04-16-2017, 01:05 AM
Sull1969
2nd Gear

Default Keys sitting on the drivers seat

I'm downtown and my keys fell on the drivers door as the door was swinging shut. Looks like Uber home. Can I please have the PM on how to open the c3s door? I can send whatever docs to show ownership. Thanks!
Old 04-17-2017, 08:58 AM
terrys6t8roadster
Melting Slicks

Received 337 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by Sull1969
I'm downtown and my keys fell on the drivers door as the door was swinging shut. Looks like Uber home. Can I please have the PM on how to open the c3s door? I can send whatever docs to show ownership. Thanks!
Hire a locksmith. T

Get notified of new replies

To Door locks

Quick Reply: Door locks