New stereo installed, have whistling

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 10:21 AM
mpro71vette
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default New stereo installed, have whistling

Hey Guys,

I just got a new stereo put in and I have whistling in the speakers. It gets louder when I go faster. I have an HEI distributor, could that do it? How do I fix it?
Old 01-22-2017, 10:29 AM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

I think they sell noise filters for your alternator that may or may not work.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:42 AM
mpro71vette
Pro

Originally Posted by resdoggie
I think they sell noise filters for your alternator that may or may not work.
Thanks, do you know what kind or where I can get one? Does it go on the alternator or stereo?

Last edited by mpro71vette; 01-22-2017 at 11:49 AM.
Old 01-22-2017, 11:55 AM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,732 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

First you need to tell us what kind of radio.

And if it's just installed a radio or if you have added an amp.

You need to determine where the noise coming from-rather than buy as bunch of filters.

Alternator- the pitch is goes higher with the RPM.

HEI is possible will change pitch as well with RPM- with the cheaply made China ones..

The Alternator noise will come through the power wires- where as the HEI will come through the air - as the HEI will act as it's own little radio station.

Disconnect the plug on the Alternator and see if the noise is still there- then we can determine how to filter/fix the noise.

Richard
Old 01-22-2017, 12:19 PM
mpro71vette
Pro

Originally Posted by Richard454
First you need to tell us what kind of radio.

And if it's just installed a radio or if you have added an amp.

You need to determine where the noise coming from-rather than buy as bunch of filters.

Alternator- the pitch is goes higher with the RPM.

HEI is possible will change pitch as well with RPM- with the cheaply made China ones..

The Alternator noise will come through the power wires- where as the HEI will come through the air - as the HEI will act as it's own little radio station.

Disconnect the plug on the Alternator and see if the noise is still there- then we can determine how to filter/fix the noise.

Richard
Thanks, its an alpine stereo and I do have an amp, this was installed by a professional. The pitch goes higher as I go faster. At a stop I don't hear it. The sound comes out of the speakers in back. It sound like its the alternator? What kind of filter for that? Does the filter go on the alternator or stereo?
Old 01-22-2017, 03:32 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

Is the amp only for the rear speakers? Do you also have front speakers driven by the radio?

Assuming the amp is connected to the battery what happens to the sound if you remove the RCA connection to the radio?
Old 01-22-2017, 03:40 PM
mpro71vette
Pro

Originally Posted by ddawson
Is the amp only for the rear speakers? Do you also have front speakers driven by the radio?

Assuming the amp is connected to the battery what happens to the sound if you remove the RCA connection to the radio?
AMP is for the rear speakers, front speakers to the radio. The original radio used the front speakers and they didn't make a high pitch sound. The sound is definitely coming from the rear speakers. AMP is connected to the battery.
Old 01-22-2017, 05:25 PM
havesometo
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

The first thing I would try is take a piece of wire ground it to the back of the radio and to the amp ground. A lot of times that will get rid of it.
The following users liked this post:
mpro71vette (01-22-2017)
Old 01-22-2017, 06:21 PM
SwampeastMike
Melting Slicks

Received 427 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by havesometo
The first thing I would try is take a piece of wire ground it to the back of the radio and to the amp ground. A lot of times that will get rid of it.

All components used in the sound path of a stereo system should share a common route to ground lest you get "ground loops". Such isn't as likely in a traditional car (the steel body itself [usually] acts as that "common route") but it become critical with our glass bodies
mpro71vette (01-22-2017)
Old 01-22-2017, 07:01 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by mpro72vette
Thanks, its an alpine stereo and I do have an amp, this was installed by a professional.
Years ago I use to teach those "professionals!!!" A real professional would not have let the car leave the shop with engine noise...

These could be a couple sources of you noise-

As 'ddawson" said you need to unplug the RCA jacks-

At the Radio - if you disconnect the RCA's - no music but still get noise-
1) you might have a cheap set of RCA cables and the noise is being induced by a power wire near it.
2) The AMP (if other than Alpine) doesn't have a good ground- or you might see if grounding the chassis of the amp helps.

If the noise goes away- most likely-

1) You could have a ground loop through the pre-amp of the Radio to the Amp-this would solve that-

https://www.amazon.com/PAC-SNI-1-Noi...r/dp/B000K50HJ

What the ground loop Isolator does? uses a little transformer (since audio is AC current) and separates or 'floats" it from the car's 12V system.

2) Could be a cheap set of RCA's- get a good set that's shielded and just run them from the Radio to the AMP and see if that solves it-if not use the isolator.

3) Bad ground on the radio- unplug the antenna and see if that makes a difference. Find a good ground.

4) IF the amp is an off brand- it might not have an isolation circuit on the pre-amp in the input stage- a ground loop Isolator will solve this.

Hope this helps-

Richard
Old 01-22-2017, 07:21 PM
mpro71vette
Pro

Years ago I use to teach those "professionals!!!" A real professional would not have let the car leave the shop with engine noise...

These could be a couple sources of you noise-

As 'ddawson" said you need to unplug the RCA jacks-

At the Radio - if you disconnect the RCA's - no music but still get noise-
1) you might have a cheap set of RCA cables and the noise is being induced by a power wire near it.
2) The AMP (if other than Alpine) doesn't have a good ground- or you might see if grounding the chassis of the amp helps.

If the noise goes away- most likely-

1) You could have a ground loop through the pre-amp of the Radio to the Amp-this would solve that-

https://www.amazon.com/PAC-SNI-1-Noi...r/dp/B000K50HJ

What the ground loop Isolator does? uses a little transformer (since audio is AC current) and separates or 'floats" it from the car's 12V system.

2) Could be a cheap set of RCA's- get a good set that's shielded and just run them from the Radio to the AMP and see if that solves it-if not use the isolator.

3) Bad ground on the radio- unplug the antenna and see if that makes a difference. Find a good ground.

4) IF the amp is an off brand- it might not have an isolation circuit on the pre-amp in the input stage- a ground loop Isolator will solve this.

Hope this helps-

Richard

Thanks, I will try all suggestions when I have time. Your link didn't work, what were you linking to? I have a Rockford fosgate amp and Alpine radio with kenwood speakers. I think he said he used the battery. I am thinking now it could be a grounding problem. They have a lifetime guarantee on installation so maybe I'll let them sort it out.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:45 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

All good stuff- I use to work for Kenwood.

Here you go-

https://www.amazon.com/PAC-SNI-1-Noi.../dp/B000K50HJE

mpro71vette (01-22-2017)
Old 01-22-2017, 08:16 PM
mpro71vette
Pro

All good stuff- I use to work for Kenwood.

Here you go-

https://www.amazon.com/PAC-SNI-1-Noi.../dp/B000K50HJE

What if they used regular speaker wire and not RCA wire?

Last edited by mpro71vette; 01-22-2017 at 09:44 PM.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:56 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by mpro72vette
What if they used regular speaker wire and not RCA wire?
I really don't know what they would have used the speaker wires from the Radio to the Amp- as the radio has a pre-amp out (AKA as low-level) and the Amp has the inputs. Using the speaker level input on the Amp is there to accommodate a radio (factory one more likely) which doesn't have the pre-outs.

MOST believe taking a clean un-amplified signal and letting the amp "amplify" the sound is the best way.

Makes sense- rather than taking amplified speaker level signal(AKA high level) - then dropping the signal back down and re-amplifing it -will bring in distortion and possible noise- as the speaker wires are un-shielded.

The design of RCA cable is to "shield" the signal wire with the braided wire- Also look at a Big Blocks sparkplug wires- same idea-but was used to keep sparkplug noise from the AM radio.

mpro71vette (01-22-2017)
Old 01-22-2017, 11:59 PM
mpro71vette
Pro

I really don't know what they would have used the speaker wires from the Radio to the Amp- as the radio has a pre-amp out (AKA as low-level) and the Amp has the inputs. Using the speaker level input on the Amp is there to accommodate a radio (factory one more likely) which doesn't have the pre-outs.

MOST believe taking a clean un-amplified signal and letting the amp "amplify" the sound is the best way.

Makes sense- rather than taking amplified speaker level signal(AKA high level) - then dropping the signal back down and re-amplifing it -will bring in distortion and possible noise- as the speaker wires are un-shielded.

The design of RCA cable is to "shield" the signal wire with the braided wire- Also look at a Big Blocks sparkplug wires- same idea-but was used to keep sparkplug noise from the AM radio.

Thanks Richard, I really appreciate al the information you have given me!
Old 01-23-2017, 01:01 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Through the decades I have done tons of tunes in cars, from econo boxes through hotrods.....quite honestly I don't care anymore about car toons but here are a few thoughts....

Number one is to take the power off the battery, DIRECTLY for the positive and negative leads of the preamp/tuner/control head....run nice heavy wires, and put a large, say 1000 mfd cap across the power leads into the head end....maybe add a .1 mfd cap to that, internal cap construction reasons....
also to maybe put a relay in the power + lead, controlled by the ignition switch......

the power amp itself should not pick up much in the way of alternator whine.....but the same cap on the + lead to main chassis ground of the ENGINE should help it out, if necessary......

a typical alternator puts out maybe 700 mv of ripple under normal operation....that's almost a volt and under heavy use it can go high as 1+ volts.....you maybe have to add some inductance (choke coil and caps to the head end +- supply referring to above caps....but doubtful.....

the battery is a very good solid 'sink' to the ripple from the alt, and so much better source for head ends.....

Old 01-23-2017, 03:39 PM
mpro71vette
Pro

Originally Posted by mrvette
Through the decades I have done tons of tunes in cars, from econo boxes through hotrods.....quite honestly I don't care anymore about car toons but here are a few thoughts....

Number one is to take the power off the battery, DIRECTLY for the positive and negative leads of the preamp/tuner/control head....run nice heavy wires, and put a large, say 1000 mfd cap across the power leads into the head end....maybe add a .1 mfd cap to that, internal cap construction reasons....
also to maybe put a relay in the power + lead, controlled by the ignition switch......

the power amp itself should not pick up much in the way of alternator whine.....but the same cap on the + lead to main chassis ground of the ENGINE should help it out, if necessary......

a typical alternator puts out maybe 700 mv of ripple under normal operation....that's almost a volt and under heavy use it can go high as 1+ volts.....you maybe have to add some inductance (choke coil and caps to the head end +- supply referring to above caps....but doubtful.....

the battery is a very good solid 'sink' to the ripple from the alt, and so much better source for head ends.....

Thanks for the info. I just got back from the place were it was installed and they redid grounds, but I'm not sure it was the battery. Either way it didn't work, it was a little better but still had it. I'm bringing it back Saturday and having them put in heavier wire. I'll mention what everyone is saying here. The interference has to be going through the amp because you can hear it through the speakers. Theres a lot of info here, I'm not sure which one to take. Oh yea, he did say there was a filter on the head end.

Get notified of new replies

To New stereo installed, have whistling

Old 01-23-2017, 03:47 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Most modern radio head units DO NOT use chassis ground for the 'negative' side of the speaker connections. The speakers are supposed to "float". C3 speakers were 'grounded' on the negative side.

You might look into this as a possible source of your problem. May need to think about how to 'isolate' the speakers. I'm thinking that this is done with the speaker wiring, rather than with the speaker mounts. So it might be an easy change. Or you might have to remove a 'jumper' wire from the metal speaker frame to the (-) terminal on the speaker.

Last edited by 7T1vette; 01-23-2017 at 03:48 PM.
Old 01-23-2017, 03:53 PM
mpro71vette
Pro

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Most modern radio head units DO NOT use chassis ground for the 'negative' side of the speaker connections. The speakers are supposed to "float". C3 speakers were 'grounded' on the negative side.

You might look into this as a possible source of your problem. May need to think about how to 'isolate' the speakers. I'm thinking that this is done with the speaker wiring, rather than with the speaker mounts. So it might be an easy change. Or you might have to remove a 'jumper' wire from the metal speaker frame to the (-) terminal on the speaker.
Thanks, I'll bring that up to them. The amp and speakers are mounted in a box in the back.
Old 01-23-2017, 04:13 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

If your noise turns out to be just 'ignition buzz', you may need to run + power and - ground directly to the battery to eliminate it.
mpro71vette (01-23-2017)

Quick Reply: New stereo installed, have whistling