Sponsored by:

Windshield frame rot

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 10:27 AM
kingkohlmn
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Default Windshield frame rot

Hi, 78 upper inside windshield section has holes which I can put 3 fingers in. Want to repair so therefore I am looking for a donor. I have been offered a 82 "tub". I assume that is the same as the birdcage? Before we go cutting it up, can anyone tell me if the 82 upper windshield section is the same as a 78? My concern is where the T Tops go in. The car is presently in storage and not accessible. I plan to have a local shop do the replacement and I am not comfortable attempting this. Thanks for your help, Bill
Old 01-29-2017, 11:09 AM
joewill
Safety Car

Received 262 Likes on 209 Posts

those upper corners are available new from the parts vendors..
anything more than just replacing the corners will mean a major cost escalation and VIN tag issues that you must consider.

also, from my experience, any car with windshield frame rust issues will also have equivalent birdcage and frame rust issues.
Old 01-29-2017, 11:14 AM
texaswilkins
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a "reputable" place do that for my 72. He cut the corners of the fiberglass fenders off so he could work on the metal. When he put the fiberglass corners back in they are not straight with the hood opening anymore. Each side comes in just enough that the screw heads for the trim wont fit in the opening anymore. I didn't notice it until long after we had quit fighting about other things. If they cut your fender make sure they put a rigid straightedge in to hold them where they belong.

Bill
Old 01-29-2017, 11:55 AM
kingkohlmn
Pro

Joe, Texas, Thanks for the advice. Actually the rot is inboard from the corners. I met with two local shops in the twin cities area. Both are known for working on Corvettes. Both recommend finding a donor windshield frame and not go with new corners. They would cut the frame around the middle of each pillar. The cut would not be a straight through cut but rather a step cut as this will be easier to weld in the donor frame and stronger. Both said going with pieces from from the vendors would take longer and be more expensive as much more labor is involved.
Still trying to determine is an 82 windshield frame is the same as a 78.

Last edited by kingkohlmn; 01-29-2017 at 11:56 AM.
Old 01-29-2017, 02:04 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi k,
I'll ask the same question that jw did…. have you taken all the exterior trim off the windshield, and the interior dash and kick panels out of the car so you can get a good look at the extent of the rust?
Has the windshield been removed?
I also agree with jw that it will be unusual for there to be that much rust (3 finger hole) up high, and no rust further down where the water was headed or ended up.
You really need to see the entire hinge pillar and #2 body mount to be sure you've caught/stopped all the rust.
Just reminding you to be thorough !! Rust has a nasty reputation for being pervasive.
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 01-29-2017 at 02:11 PM.
Old 01-29-2017, 06:24 PM
kingkohlmn
Pro

Thank you Alan, to answer your questions:
have you taken all the exterior trim off the windshield. No, but when we go to fix the rot, we will have to remove the windshield and yes there may be more surprises.
the interior dash and kick panels out of the car so you can get a good look at the extent of the rust? Yes, two years ago, when I was changing the AC wiring harness. I decided to change the cracked upper windshield trim. That is when I found the rot. I did not see any rot down lower and I had both shops check the kick panels.
Has the windshield been removed? No, but it will be to fix the rot.
Thanks Bill

Last edited by kingkohlmn; 01-29-2017 at 06:26 PM.
Old 01-29-2017, 06:53 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Post some pictures so we can take a look at the damage. If you have a good welder you can do this job yourself... The header is pretty much the same from 1968-1982 and while there are a few differences from year to year the main bar is the same. (You have to trim some metal away for coupes but it's not that hard).

I worked with this header and the current reproduction for about six months making sure the current part is 100 percent correct too. In my opinion, if the rot is limited to just the upper and/or the corners I'd replace them vs. welding in a patch.

Either way.. if you decide to do this repair, you should read this first.
1968-1982 Corvette Windshield Frame Installation

The parts you may need can be found here: https://willcoxcorvette.com/catalogs...c_part_year=19

Last edited by Willcox Corvette; 01-29-2017 at 06:54 PM.
Old 01-31-2017, 04:32 PM
CPTCroaker
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Pretty sure they sell just about all of the parts to replace different sections of the windshield frame including the pillars. I might be wrong, but you got Willcox here so I am sure he can help you. Hope you don't find too much rust. Good luck

Get notified of new replies

To Windshield frame rot

Quick Reply: Windshield frame rot