Sponsored by:

engine not running. timing?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 11:01 AM
Youngvettehunter
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Cooter Tech
Be careful not to get too many projects going at one time, especially if you are new to working on cars. Too many things that can cause you problems. Where is the carb leaking? Big fire hazard, especially if it is backfiring. Have an extinguisher near the car and don't be doing this in an attached garage. If it is leaking gas, fix it immediately or get it outside, where fire damage will be only to the car.
Yeah it's a frame off project and I've been doing it outside. It's only leaking slightly but it definently needs to be fixed I just ordered some more parts so hopefully I can get it running this week so I can Finnish up the chassis and put the body back on by the middle or end of march
Old 02-27-2017, 11:22 AM
Cooter Tech
Le Mans Master

Received 221 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Youngvettehunter
Yeah it's a frame off project and I've been doing it outside. It's only leaking slightly but it definently needs to be fixed I just ordered some more parts so hopefully I can get it running this week so I can Finnish up the chassis and put the body back on by the middle or end of march
Wow! That is a major project, good for you, especially outside. What is your location if you don't mind telling. Pictures??
Old 02-27-2017, 07:52 PM
Youngvettehunter
Instructor

Wow! That is a major project, good for you, especially outside. What is your location if you don't mind telling. Pictures??
ill post some pics later or start a new thread. i live in minnetonka minnesota and i just turned 16 (first car). its a BIG project but its nothing close to a restoration. bought the car last april when i was 15 and it was all disassembled and a minnesota car so it was rusty but the body and interior are very nice and stole it for $2850 (had everything down to nuts and bolts categorized but no motor) and the muncie 4 speed was just rebuilt never installed. so i sold the rusted out frame for $100 and i bought a rolling chassis (no motor or trans) from a guy on craigslist who hauled it home from california and never used it (no rust) for $1100. its a 75 chassis tho and my car is a 68 coupe. what issues will i run into? then i bought a 1987 350 4 bolt main one piece seal sbc ($200) and rebuilt it with about $1000 total in it. anyway just got her running and it sounds amazing. thanks everyone for the help.

Last edited by Youngvettehunter; 02-27-2017 at 07:53 PM.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:46 PM
Cooter Tech
Le Mans Master

Doing this outside in the cold has to be miserable. Wish you were in my area, I would give you some help. I did a similar project with a Beaten up 1960 Corvette in 1966. Not as difficult as you are attempting. I was 16 and the car had been t boned at some point and was fixed, but never right. I had to rebuild the motor and transmission. It was a maintenance nightmare. Sold it when I went into the Navy, still miss the car! Good luck with getting it running and enjoy the car.
The following users liked this post:
Youngvettehunter (02-27-2017)
Old 02-28-2017, 02:00 AM
Youngvettehunter
Instructor

The following users liked this post:
Cooter Tech (02-28-2017)
Old 02-28-2017, 02:01 AM
Youngvettehunter
Instructor

There are some pics
Old 02-28-2017, 03:58 AM
Antz81
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 77 Posts

Looking good. Wish I could have done that at 16. Sadly I didn't have the money or the space.

Have you done anything with the suspension bushes yet? If you haven't there's at least one that looks like it might want some attention, but that could just be the photos. It would be far easier to do them now than after the body and everything else goes on.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:38 AM
Youngvettehunter
Instructor

Originally Posted by Antz81
Looking good. Wish I could have done that at 16. Sadly I didn't have the money or the space.

Have you done anything with the suspension bushes yet? If you haven't there's at least one that looks like it might want some attention, but that could just be the photos. It would be far easier to do them now than after the body and everything else goes on.
No not all but I've done some
Old 03-01-2017, 08:20 PM
Cooter Tech
Le Mans Master

Keep us posted on your project.

Quick Reply: engine not running. timing?