Fuel sending unit question for Wilcox

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 10:46 PM
BEJ
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts

Default Fuel sending unit question for Wilcox

So, I have a 75, with a fuel gauge pegged past full. I know that I have less that 5 gallons in the tank (bladder has been removed). In reading your write up on diagnosing fuel gauge issues, it seems that my issue may lie in the sending unit itself. My question is, when checking the post on the sending unit that the sending wire connects to for ohms, do I touch both leads from my multimeter to the post? The instruction manual for my meter says to put one lead on each side of the circuit, but how does that work with that tiny little post? I appreciate any advice that you can give.

Thanks,
Bryan
Old 02-25-2017, 04:01 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,605 Posts

remove the wire from the post and ground the wire, your gauge should go to empty. If it doesnt go to empty you have a problem with the signal coming from the gauge. If it does go to empty check the ground connection from the sender to the frame, if it is good, you have a bad sender.
Concerning your multi meter test above one wire goes to the post and the other wire to a good ground.

Last edited by MelWff; 02-25-2017 at 04:01 PM.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:19 AM
BEJ
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MelWff
remove the wire from the post and ground the wire, your gauge should go to empty. If it doesnt go to empty you have a problem with the signal coming from the gauge. If it does go to empty check the ground connection from the sender to the frame, if it is good, you have a bad sender.
Concerning your multi meter test above one wire goes to the post and the other wire to a good ground.
Thanks Mel. After your reply, I went back and re-read the Wilcox paper on this and it all made sense. Seems that the sending unit was good and that the issue was just a bad connection of the wire to the sending unit post. Problem solved and gauge working as it should. Thanks for the help.

Bryan
Old 02-28-2017, 08:47 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by BEJ
Thanks Mel. After your reply, I went back and re-read the Wilcox paper on this and it all made sense. Seems that the sending unit was good and that the issue was just a bad connection of the wire to the sending unit post. Problem solved and gauge working as it should. Thanks for the help.

Bryan
Good deal... I'm glad you figured it out.. but just a heads up for you and others...

I search for threads with Willcox, not Wilcox... So I missed this post. There are two L's in Willcox...

Ernie
Old 02-28-2017, 08:56 PM
BEJ
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
Good deal... I'm glad you figured it out.. but just a heads up for you and others...

I search for threads with Willcox, not Wilcox... So I missed this post. There are two L's in Willcox...

Ernie
Fair enough, darn extra L. Thanks for setting me straight. More importantly though, thanks for the Technical write up. Once Mel set my thinking right, I went back and re-read it and it all made sense. That paper really helped.

Bryan

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel sending unit question for Wilcox

Quick Reply: Fuel sending unit question for Wilcox