Sponsored by:

Body Mount #2 Rusted. HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 03:55 PM
72Shark_VAL
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Body Mount #2 Rusted. HELP!!

So as some of you may know from my previous posts, my 72 has pretty extensive birdcage rust & I'm attempting a frame off resto. I've managed to do everything necessary in the steps to take the body off the frame, except this last body mount bolt. Removed all 7 others somewhat easily, including the passenger side mount #2 bolt. My driver side #2 bolt is rusted so bad that I can't even get a socket on it. Please help!!!! I have no idea what to do. Doesn't appear that I can access it from under the car. Here's a pic of what mess I'm dealing with. You can barely even tell that it's a bolt.
Thanks,
-Matt

Last edited by 72Shark_VAL; 02-25-2017 at 03:58 PM.
Old 02-25-2017, 04:14 PM
joewill
Safety Car

Received 261 Likes on 209 Posts

dremel or a rotary grinder and cut the bolt head off. once you get the body off you will have to cut off the nut cage and weld a new one on.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/SPEEDWAY-...B98aAjB68P8HAQ

Last edited by joewill; 02-25-2017 at 04:15 PM.
Old 02-25-2017, 04:25 PM
nwav8tor
Old Fart Pilot
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 344 Likes on 206 Posts

WOW! I'm glad my '71 wasn't that bad. I'm not an expert here so take what I suggest with a grain of salt (preferably on the rim of a margarita)...

If it's like mine, the bottom side of that mount is a captive nut on the top of the frame rail. If you can get to it from underneath the car, slip a saws all blade between the top of the captive nut bracket and the bottom side of the body rail (from the inside of the frame rails) and cut the bolt.

Another option would be to weld a nut on top of the bolt and try to get a socket on that.

If that doesn't work, drill into the bolt head and use an extractor.

Final try is to cut/grind/torch the head of that bolt off and hopefully the body will lift right up.

All of the above would be helped with significant amounts of PB Blaster or other rust remover/penetrating oil.

My .02 (or less) worth...
Paul

Last edited by nwav8tor; 02-25-2017 at 04:26 PM.
Old 02-25-2017, 07:37 PM
NMT1957
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Grind the head of the bolt off. This will leave you a stub of bolt sticking up after you get the body off. You then can weld a nut to it or get vice grips on it and you get a second chance of removing it from the cage nut that's welded to the frame. It could save you from having to replace the cage nut. Even though it's not a big deal to replace the cage nut if you have a welding machine. If you're doing a complete frame off restoration this will be good practice for what's about to happen on some other bolts, screws and fasteners in general. Grind off the head and get the body off then deal with it.....

Ned
Old 02-25-2017, 10:04 PM
72Shark_VAL
Instructor

Thanks guys! This forum is always so helpful. I'll pick up a Dremel tomorrow & go after it. I'll post an update after I get the body lifted off, assuming that it all goes well..lol
Old 02-25-2017, 10:31 PM
joewill
Safety Car

of my 4 caged nuts from my previous corvette, 3 of them spun in their housing. my frame was shot almost totally anyway and my replacement frame had good clean caged nuts. so didn't have to play that welding game.

looking at your birdcage body mount area, i expect that you are gonna find lots of rust on your frame also.. don't know what you are considering.. but may not be worth it to start welding on that frame.. replacement may be what will be required.
Old 02-25-2017, 10:53 PM
72Shark_VAL
Instructor

Originally Posted by joewill
of my 4 caged nuts from my previous corvette, 3 of them spun in their housing. my frame was shot almost totally anyway and my replacement frame had good clean caged nuts. so didn't have to play that welding game.

looking at your birdcage body mount area, i expect that you are gonna find lots of rust on your frame also.. don't know what you are considering.. but may not be worth it to start welding on that frame.. replacement may be what will be required.
I've thought the same thing. How much did your replacement frame cost you?
Old 02-26-2017, 09:16 AM
joewill
Safety Car

i paid about 1300 in 2002.. they are about 3500 for great ones, and 2500 for good used ones today.. I was able to fetch in my pickup in a day trip.. add several hundred if you have to have it shipped to you.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:28 AM
72Shark_VAL
Instructor

Originally Posted by joewill
i paid about 1300 in 2002.. they are about 3500 for great ones, and 2500 for good used ones today.. I was able to fetch in my pickup in a day trip.. add several hundred if you have to have it shipped to you.
That's not as horrible as I would've thought. Also, do you think it would be worth the time, effort, & $$$ to fix my birdcage or go with a replacement? Looks like I can get one in great condition for around $1500-$2000. There's a good many for sale on eBay. Would I need it to be a 72 specific birdcage? Or would one from a 70-71 or 73 etc work? Are there any differences?
Old 02-27-2017, 03:39 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Originally Posted by 72Shark_VAL
Also, do you think it would be worth the time, effort, & $$$ to fix my birdcage or go with a replacement?
Wow, I have seen some rotted out birdcages but that picture you posted is butt ugly and if that is any indication of the overall birdcage than you have a huge task ahead of you.

Not sure what skillset you have to work with but a complete birdcage replacement is MAJOR surgery.

As for the frame I wouldn't even worry or address this area until I had figured out the path forward on the birdcage.

What does the rest of it look like?
Old 02-27-2017, 06:50 PM
72Shark_VAL
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mr D.
Wow, I have seen some rotted out birdcages but that picture you posted is butt ugly and if that is any indication of the overall birdcage than you have a huge task ahead of you.

Not sure what skillset you have to work with but a complete birdcage replacement is MAJOR surgery.

As for the frame I wouldn't even worry or address this area until I had figured out the path forward on the birdcage.

What does the rest of it look like?
I know its bad & I know that I have hundreds of hours of work ahead of me. I went to school for Collision repair, worked in a normal insurance shop for a year & then left there to go to a restoration shop. I am now in the water damage restoration business & only do this as a hobby because I have more interest in working on my own projects instead of someone else's. I'm not scared of it, so I won't be talked out of it. I've spent hundreds of dollars on every maintenance/assembly/how to manual there is for my 72 & am teaching myself. I've already pulled the motor,tranny,gas tank, stripped the interior & got all the body mount bolts out. Next step is to build the body dolly for the body lift. I'll add some more pics of the birdcage, leaning towards replacement instead of repair honestly. Let me know what you think. The pics were taken several months ago.

Last edited by 72Shark_VAL; 02-27-2017 at 06:51 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Body Mount #2 Rusted. HELP!!

Quick Reply: Body Mount #2 Rusted. HELP!!