Sponsored by:

For those who already have converted

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 01:39 PM
Darinm
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Default For those who already have converted

Question for those who have already converted their vacuum headlights to electric.

I'm looking at 2 different kits to convert my vacuum headlights to electric, i see mainly 2 different kits available. One is a straight relay setup that uses the signal from the low beam on to actuate the relays and flip them up. The other is similar but it adds some sort of box that will prevent what their calling a blinking effect which i'm sure is caused by the temp loss of power signal when turning on the high beams.

Question one. Is it worth getting the kit with this box ?

Question two. One i convert, the only vacuum i would then need is Brake booster, vacuum advance and the HVAC controls correct ? or am i forgetting something ?
Thanks in advance
Old 02-26-2017, 02:07 PM
STIL2LOW
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I installed the ECPB ones on the 76, nice kit and works very well. I had it wired to the low beam but must've tapped the wrong wire causing them to drop when the high beams came on hahaha
i have them currently wired to the marker lights at the moment and work flawlessly
Hide well too, even with the grills out you can just see the bodies of the motor
Old 02-26-2017, 02:25 PM
Darinm
Racer

Thanks for the pics and company name. I haven't seen those. I see they use linear actuators versus ford headlight motors. I have one more available option!
Old 02-26-2017, 02:35 PM
Bloodzone
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 77 Posts

I use the relay system but didnt tap into my factory wiring. I use a extra fuse box to power my 11" fans, GPS, radio amp and headlights. For the lights I installed a toggle switch to pop them up and then I turn the lights on with the normal switch. Its a extra step but I can pop'em up anytime I want without the lights being on.

This is the fuse box. Its made for boats. Comes with a cover and I mounted it in the compartment next to battery. I have no problems with any signal loss between hi/low beam.

Last edited by Bloodzone; 02-26-2017 at 02:37 PM.
Old 02-26-2017, 03:21 PM
CPTCroaker
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Save yourself time and a lot of money and go with Richard454's kit. I have installed 2 already and its fast, easy, and reliable. Here is a link with some of the details, but you can PM him for a full kit as well. If you search this topic on the forum you will see his kit referenced a lot.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...available.html

Once done with the conversion all you have to do is plug the old vac line as close to the reservoir as possible and your done.

Last edited by CPTCroaker; 02-26-2017 at 03:26 PM.
Old 02-26-2017, 05:32 PM
Darinm
Racer

Thanks for all the answers. I have several options available that i didnt know about.

About my 2nd question... what vacuum lines are required after conversion ? I realize i could plug them at the canister (which will get removed since i have an aux vacuum pump and canister for brake booster). I think, i'll only need the HVAC line, and vacuum advance.

Thanks
Old 02-26-2017, 07:29 PM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by Bloodzone
For the lights I installed a toggle switch to pop them up and then I turn the lights on with the normal switch. Its a extra step but I can pop'em up anytime I want without the lights being on.
This is my plan also.... for lights AND wiper door. I used a couple power window switches in the ashtray. Lighter hole will be USB port for music

Old 02-26-2017, 07:43 PM
Richard Daugird
Melting Slicks

Received 718 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by CPTCroaker
Save yourself time and a lot of money and go with Richard454's kit. I have installed 2 already and its fast, easy, and reliable. Here is a link with some of the details, but you can PM him for a full kit as well. If you search this topic on the forum you will see his kit referenced a lot.

Once done with the conversion all you have to do is plug the old vac line as close to the reservoir as possible and your done.
I second that notion, I will go with Richard's kit when the time comes.
Old 02-26-2017, 10:55 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,732 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by STIL2LOW
i have them currently wired to the marker lights at the moment and work flawlessly
Just don't hit your hazards- as they headlights will jump up and down...

Originally Posted by CPTCroaker

THANK YOU!!!

I wire mine to the OEM headlight plug- just plug it inline between the headlight and low beam 3 prong socket add power and ground - that's it. No external box- just a standard Bosch relay. Don't have to go to the headlight switch in the car or change to a C4 headlight switch

Shoot me an email - richard454 at comcast dot net -and I'll be glad to send you an install PDF.

Here's it on the bench w/ an OEM dimmer switch w/ NO blinking effect...

On my 73 - I added a neat feature-
Open the headlights when you turn them on- but a different sequence when you turn off the headlights. As you turn off the headlights -if you leave the parking lights on- the headlights stay up- to service-clean - be cool- whatever- and then turn off the parking lights they go down- and will only come back up if you turn on the headlights. Again simply plug the harness into the OEM headlight plug and connect one wire to the parking light w/ a 3M fastener. And of course- it you turn on the hazards -it has NO effect on the headlight function-if say you had the parking lights on and the headlights were up in the "service mode" -they'd just close.

Parking lights are depicted as the red LED light

Get notified of new replies

To For those who already have converted

Quick Reply: For those who already have converted