Sponsored by:

painting engine bay

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 12:55 PM
Youngvettehunter
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default painting engine bay

Im just about to drop the body on the frame but before i do that i want to clean/paint the engine bay. i was planning on using a rattle can to paint but i dont really know the proper way to clean the dirt and grease thats on the firewall and inner fenders and bottom of the hood. i live in minnesota so i cant just hose it down with water because its 20 degrees outside. so what should i do? also does anybody know how to get rid of those skinny spiders that like to live under the body? cuz i hate going under there then seeing 10 of em crawling around 1ft away from my face...
Old 03-01-2017, 01:10 PM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 796 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by Youngvettehunter
Im just about to drop the body on the frame but before i do that i want to clean/paint the engine bay. i was planning on using a rattle can to paint but i dont really know the proper way to clean the dirt and grease thats on the firewall and inner fenders and bottom of the hood. i live in minnesota so i cant just hose it down with water because its 20 degrees outside. so what should i do? also does anybody know how to get rid of those skinny spiders that like to live under the body? cuz i hate going under there then seeing 10 of em crawling around 1ft away from my face...
Plenty of rags and lacquer thinner and rubber gloves. It's a messy job but very rewarding when completed. I would suggest Semi Flat black #1613 by Krylon. Has a nice matte finish. Spiders , uh bug spray?
RVZIO

The following users liked this post:
Youngvettehunter (03-01-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 01:11 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

...its 20 degrees outside. so what should i do?...
Wait until it warms up so you can clean before painting.

...does anybody know how to get rid of those skinny spiders that like to live under the body?...
Insecticide.
Old 03-01-2017, 01:13 PM
Youngvettehunter
Instructor

[QUOTE=rvzio;1594200993]Plenty of rags and lacquer thinner and rubber gloves. It's a messy job but very rewarding when completed. I would suggest Semi Flat black #1613 by Krylon. Has a nice matte finish. Spiders , uh bug spray?
RVZIO=QUOTE]

do i need to prime it like you did?
Old 03-01-2017, 01:15 PM
Youngvettehunter
Instructor

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Wait until it warms up so you can clean before painting.

Insecticide.
dont have time to wait... almost everything is ready to put the body on besides under the hood.
Old 03-01-2017, 01:24 PM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 796 Likes on 620 Posts

dont have time to wait... almost everything is ready to put the body on besides under the hood.
Well it's your car. I would suggest a primer. All depends on what you are looking for in your vette. Your choice. When I was anxious to get the body back on the car or I thought I was ready, I realized there was a ton more of stuff to do before that happened, not to mention all the things that would just be easier to do with the body off.

RVZIO
Old 03-01-2017, 01:33 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In II Veteran

...dont have time to wait...
Suit yourself, but if it's too cold to clean it, it's too cold to paint.
Old 03-01-2017, 02:18 PM
Youngvettehunter
Instructor

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Suit yourself, but if it's too cold to clean it, it's too cold to paint.
i have a heater in the garage and its the best time to paint cuz there is no moister in the air
Old 03-01-2017, 02:19 PM
Youngvettehunter
Instructor

Originally Posted by rvzio
Well it's your car. I would suggest a primer. All depends on what you are looking for in your vette. Your choice. When I was anxious to get the body back on the car or I thought I was ready, I realized there was a ton more of stuff to do before that happened, not to mention all the things that would just be easier to do with the body off.

RVZIO
im sure there is a lot more to do but i really think getting the painting done will help
Old 03-01-2017, 02:35 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In II Veteran

...i have a heater in the garage and its the best time to paint cuz there is no moister in the air...
If it's warm enough to paint, it's warm enough to clean and prep before you paint.

Good luck.
Old 03-01-2017, 04:16 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Youngvette

Let me save you from yourself. Why are you putting the body back on the frame? Is it because you have a fresh paint job on the body? Has the engine been rebuilt?

Reason I ask is because if you start down the road of painting the inner fenders and firewall without removing and restoring ALL of the components, hoses, wiring ETC you will just end up with a engine compartment that has a nice black finish against a bunch of tired looking components, hoses, wiring ETC.

There is more to restoring an engine compartment than just spraying some black paint.

Tell us a little bit more about what your end result is.

Dennis

BTW, post a picture of your engine compartment so we can see what your up against.

Last edited by Mr D.; 03-01-2017 at 04:25 PM.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:42 PM
Youngvettehunter
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mr D.
Youngvette

Let me save you from yourself. Why are you putting the body back on the frame? Is it because you have a fresh paint job on the body? Has the engine been rebuilt?

Reason I ask is because if you start down the road of painting the inner fenders and firewall without removing and restoring ALL of the components, hoses, wiring ETC you will just end up with a engine compartment that has a nice black finish against a bunch of tired looking components, hoses, wiring ETC.

There is more to restoring an engine compartment than just spraying some black paint.

Tell us a little bit more about what your end result is.

Dennis

BTW, post a picture of your engine compartment so we can see what your up against.
Have engine bay pretty much gutted except for the main wiring harness that goes through a hole in the fire wall because I can't figure out how to remove it... any suggestions (can post pics if needed)
Old 03-02-2017, 07:12 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In II Veteran

...any suggestions...
Remove the bolt in the harness connector at the firewall and unplug the connector. The two sides of the harness will then pull apart.

Purchase the AIM and chassis service manual for your car. They will be a help for you.
The following users liked this post:
Youngvettehunter (03-02-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To painting engine bay

Quick Reply: painting engine bay