Sponsored by:

Road side service

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 10:49 AM
See Three
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Road side service

I have never subscribed to any road side service companies (like CAA in Canada) as I have always had the confidence to fix issues like flat tires or dead batteries on my own. In my younger years I actually drove a tow truck for a while so I've seen some 'stuff' like burning cars and 4x4's in the middle of a creek. However, with these cars approaching 50 years of age (and me older than that) and the potential to break down on a 5 lane highway in rush hour I doubt that I would want to deal with that now. I would also be worried about 'Bubba' showing up without a flatbed and all the damage that he could do without taking any responsibility for it. Anyone have advice or stories (good or bad) about recovering a sick car? Are there Vintage car packages available so that they show up with the right equipment? Would your insurance cover you if Bubba screwed up or do you have to deal with his company?
Old 03-07-2017, 10:55 AM
crawfish333
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 187 Posts
CI 6-7 & 9 Veteran

There does not seem to be very many "hooker" tow trucks around these days, except for the heavy rig tow trucks for 18 wheelers. I have had to have 2 of my other Corvettes picked up and I just asked for a flatbed, and that is what showed up. I watched them when they loaded the car on the truck to make sure their was no damage.

Originally Posted by See Three
I have never subscribed to any road side service companies (like CAA in Canada) as I have always had the confidence to fix issues like flat tires or dead batteries on my own. In my younger years I actually drove a tow truck for a while so I've seen some 'stuff' like burning cars and 4x4's in the middle of a creek. However, with these cars approaching 50 years of age (and me older than that) and the potential to break down on a 5 lane highway in rush hour I doubt that I would want to deal with that now. I would also be worried about 'Bubba' showing up without a flatbed and all the damage that he could do without taking any responsibility for it. Anyone have advice or stories (good or bad) about recovering a sick car? Are there Vintage car packages available so that they show up with the right equipment? Would your insurance cover you if Bubba screwed up or do you have to deal with his company?
Old 03-07-2017, 11:08 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Check with your insurance agent to see whether your insurer has road side service available.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:35 AM
raydog9379
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

I have AAA and once had to use it (almost). I just requested a flatbed when calling in. Took longer because of that (was going to be about an hour or so), and before the guy got there I was able to fix the issue and get home. Tow truck driver on his way helped me diagnose and fix the issue too via phone, I must have got a good driver assigned who also is handy with carb. engines.
Old 03-07-2017, 01:31 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

I have VISA, seems to work OK when stranded.
Old 03-07-2017, 03:02 PM
dochorsepower
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

I have AAA with the premium tow option so that they don't start charging tha t mileage rate after five miles. If I'm out on a freeway (interstate) I'm usually more than five miles away from my trusted Corvette shop. And, I always flatbed it.
Old 03-07-2017, 07:32 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

My policy: 80km (50 miles). Stay close to town.

https://www.hagerty.ca/insurance/Hag...e-and-Benefits

Last edited by Paul L; 03-07-2017 at 07:34 PM.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:57 PM
Iceaxe
Safety Car

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,395 Posts

I have Hagerty's road side service insurance add-on. Broke down, late at night, all dressed up with the wife during a night out on the town. Called Hagerty, they sent a rollback, took the car to my house and dropped it right into my garage. I couldn't have been happier with the service. It took me a couple hours to replace the broken ignition switch the next day in the comfort of my own garage. I like having the peace of mind road side service gives me. YMMV
Old 03-08-2017, 08:20 AM
See Three
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

All good info, never thought of looking into my credit card or insurance company.
Old 03-08-2017, 02:01 PM
Iceaxe
Safety Car

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,395 Posts

Originally Posted by See Three
All good info, never thought of looking into my credit card or insurance company.
I don't know an insurance company that doesn't have a road side service add-on. It's usually one of the cheapest options.

Something the tow truck driver told me in casual conversation when he was hauling me home. He told me they always service the insurance companies before AAA when it gets busy. I didn't ask why, now I wish I had of. I'm also not sure if that was typical for just his towing company or all companies.

Old 03-08-2017, 02:11 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

AAA has set rates, bet he makes more on the other runs.

I have AAA for 100 miles.
Old 03-08-2017, 04:54 PM
the kid C6
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 128 Posts

I have AAA Premium. I seem to use it once a year.

California has ​the Freeway Service Patrol "(FSP) is a joint program provided by the California Department of Transportation (Caltrans), the California Highway Patrol (CHP) and the local transportation agency. The FSP program is a free service of privately owned tow trucks that patrol designated routes on congested urban California freeways."

If you don't know about it, you might get frightened when a strange white truck pulls up.
Old 03-08-2017, 05:10 PM
Billem
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I have AAA for my DDs (also for wife) and Hagerty for the Corvette (BTW, I've always wondered: should "Corvette" be capitalized?). I had the C(c?)orvette towed home using AAA one time. Thought I could fix it myself. Wrong. Called AAA to tow to my shop but they wouldn't do it. Said it was a "continuation" tow and they don't do that. Even us senior citizens learn something almost every day! Have a great week, Bill
Old 03-08-2017, 05:11 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Since i flipped to geico years back i got the road side and have used it many times,
They always send a good flat bed and pretty good drivers,
They seem to get tgere quickly except for the time the 69 busted that rear strut, that took like 2 .5 hours but tge driver said the night was insane with calls....i like road side,
Old 03-08-2017, 05:24 PM
gdm78vette
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

I just signed up for CAA and got coverage for RV as well since I tow a fifth wheel on occasion. I like that it covers me and not a vehicle so no matter which car I drive or even if I'm a passenger in someone else's car I can call for help. And during the promo period I got a free year for my son too.

OP, hey neighbour where in Milton are you?

Get notified of new replies

To Road side service

Quick Reply: Road side service