Sponsored by:

Birdcage water leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 12:10 AM
Learning_Curve
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Birdcage water leak

Water coming between cowl and driver side A pillar birdcage. Not the best pic, sorry. The old seam sealer broke that was there broke off. Can I reseal from the inside? i dont want to pull the whole front end. Water does not enter when I ran a hose into the wiper tray. I then sprayed where the corner of the windshield meets the front fender. water was running out of the crack above the two bolts in the pic. It was running down and filling the body mount.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:53 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi LC,
I'm afraid you can't successfully seal this leak from inside the car.
Sealing the leak where you see it will only cause the water to be diverted somewhere else.
The leak needs to be sealed at it's SOURCE. In this case at the windshield.
I hate to say it, but it's likely that the windshield will need to come out to fix this leak.
BUT, you can certainly try to add sealer in that area and see if that might help the situation.
Good Luck!
Regards,
Alan
Old 03-15-2017, 10:19 AM
Learning_Curve
Burning Brakes

Things could be worse than having to remove the windshield. I was afraid that the leak was between the cowl and the back of the fender, where I can't get to.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:21 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi LC,
It depends just exactly where the leak starts as to what it'll take to stop it.
Might you gain access to apply the sealer by reaching in past the wiper transmission?
Regards,
Alan

Old 03-15-2017, 02:22 PM
CPTCroaker
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I had a leak in the area that started when a bad repair came apart and started letting water in at the windshield frame corner. The source was under the front clip and it had to be pulled to fix.

This post has a similar issue as well and provide more insight into what is going on https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...wer-floor.html

Good luck
Old 03-15-2017, 09:35 PM
Learning_Curve
Burning Brakes

Took a closer look today. Did find one small leak in the top of the wiper cowl, but the majority seems to be the windshield corner.

Took a closer look and it seems the sealer has pulled away. If I remove the windshield I could seal it up better. I could just try to seal it as is. But I would like to see if there is any more damage. I don't plan on pulling the clip. The thread you linked me mentioned cutting the top of the fender off the access. I wonder if anyone has done a write-up on that?
Old 03-15-2017, 09:37 PM
Learning_Curve
Burning Brakes

Fun surprise when I was looking down the cowl side...
Old 03-16-2017, 09:38 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi LC,
Wasps? Hornets?
You mention cutting off the end of the fender.
While this seems like a good way to gain access, you really DON'T want to cut the fender at that point under any circumstance.
The straight cut at that location makes it impossible to do a fiberglass repair that's not visible.
Sadly this has been proven too many times.
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 03-16-2017 at 09:40 AM.
Old 03-16-2017, 08:52 PM
Learning_Curve
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi LC,
Wasps? Hornets?
You mention cutting off the end of the fender.
While this seems like a good way to gain access, you really DON'T want to cut the fender at that point under any circumstance.
The straight cut at that location makes it impossible to do a fiberglass repair that's not visible.
Sadly this has been proven too many times.
Regards,
Alan
I'm not sure I could tell the difference between them. Luckily I don't have to, it is long abandoned.

I believe you that that the fiberglass repair will show through. I still think it might be the best option for me. This car is not destined to be "restoration" so much as a hot rod or resto-mod. I feel better about having bodywork issues than just sealing over a rusty birdcage.
Old 04-01-2017, 07:04 PM
Learning_Curve
Burning Brakes

​​​​​​
So update time. I pulled the door and got a better look. Seam sealer where the windsheild corner of the birdcage meets the fiberglass fender was gone. The metal trough that directs water was in the way to reseal. I used a slide hammer with a hook to pull it back. I applied chassis saver to the doorjam/birdcage and also poured some in between the windsheild/fender lip to coat the area of the birdcage I couldn't get to. New coat of A.C. Delco seam sealer and I should be good to go!

Last edited by Learning_Curve; 04-01-2017 at 07:14 PM. Reason: Info added
Old 04-02-2017, 02:01 AM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Received 599 Likes on 533 Posts

I hope it works for you .

But if it doesn't and you choose to cut the corner off , do yourself a favour and make up a bond strip before you do any cutting . That will at least give you a better chance for a stronger join later on.

Get notified of new replies

To Birdcage water leak

Quick Reply: Birdcage water leak