Sponsored by:

68 windsheild molding question

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 07:29 PM
ronarndt
Drifting

Received 252 Likes on 193 Posts
Default 68 windsheild molding question

what should the corner molding look like? Chrome or painted?

Does someone have a good photo of what the correct lower corner windshield molding on a 68 convert looks like? My assembly manual and the various parts catalogs still leave a couple blanks. The PO filled in the gap at the corner with massive amounts of silicone, which I removed. I found what is called a "fender molding" (not sure if it is chrome or not) that looks like it goes in the corner, but it also looks like the PO cut off the end of the side chrome molding. Thanks for the help. RA
Old 03-28-2017, 07:44 PM
ronarndt
Drifting

Default nevermind

Originally Posted by ronarndt

Does someone have a good photo of what the correct lower corner windshield molding on a 68 convert looks like? My assembly manual and the various parts catalogs still leave a couple blanks. The PO filled in the gap at the corner with massive amounts of silicone, which I removed. I found what is called a "fender molding" (not sure if it is chrome or not) that looks like it goes in the corner, but it also looks like the PO cut off the end of the side chrome molding. Thanks for the help. RA

Like a dummy, I did a search AFTER I posted this question. I found some excellent photos already posted. I will now go stand in the corner . RA
Old 03-28-2017, 10:49 PM
ksbunting
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My May 10, 1968 built coupe is painted body color and my 68 is factory original as I have owned since 1972 . The rolled bead edges are chrome but the rest of the part is the same color as the body, in my case code 976 Lemans Blue. I'm second owner and purchased it from the original owner who is a personal friend so I know it was not altered.
Hope this helps you
Kurt

Originally Posted by ronarndt

The following users liked this post:
ronarndt (03-28-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 08:20 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi ra,
This is the original trim on my 71.
It's VERY similar to what was on your 68 originally too, except that the end of the trim didn't wrap around the bottom of the a-pillar ss trim 'quite' as far in 68.
Thus there are 2 pieces (configurations) of fender trim available.
The trim on the wiper door for 68 is slightly different too. Not so much in appearance tan in the method of how the ends of the trim are shaped.
Regards,
Alan

I'll stand in the corner with you!!! I just read your second post!!!!!

Last edited by Alan 71; 03-29-2017 at 08:24 AM.
ronarndt (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 08:56 AM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Received 599 Likes on 533 Posts

what about the 4 little clips that go onto the edge of the fibreglass ?
Old 03-29-2017, 11:38 AM
ronarndt
Drifting

Originally Posted by bazza77
what about the 4 little clips that go onto the edge of the fibreglass ?
I also found an excellent post from DUB who explained how to install the clips so they do not gouge out the hole in the f-glass.
Rescue Rogers (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 08:14 PM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,291 Likes on 3,919 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Can you post a link, my main trim piece keeps coming off the clips
Old 03-30-2017, 05:30 PM
ronarndt
Drifting

Originally Posted by Rescue Rogers
Can you post a link, my main trim piece keeps coming off the clips

DUB said:

The most important thing to remember about these clips that slide on the edge of the panel. The small catch tang that you can see in the photo Alan posted....HAS TO fit in the hole well and stay seated. SO...even though the hole is there....if someone FORCED this clip off....and it took the small amount of fiberglass that was actually keeping the clip from easily sliding off. DO NOT be surprised if you need to drill new holes.

AND if you drill new holes....keep in mind that how precise the hole is cut on the backside....so this catch tang can actually grab a good amount of fiberglass is what is the most important.

And with all due respect.....I have dealt with so many Corvettes that when I go to give them a courtesy wash before the customer comes to get it....and this molding comes loose due to some glue or double sided tape fail...I and then having to spend my time trying to fix it before they pick it up. SO...I personally prefer the factory method due to many other ways have bit me in the backside and the WORST possible time....and I stand there cussing like crazy. I have since learned to look at these moldings before I touch the car while the owner is still there...so there is NO MISUNDERSTANDINGS that if they are NOT installed factory correct.. that if they fail...it is NOT on me.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To 68 windsheild molding question

Quick Reply: 68 windsheild molding question