Sponsored by:

Transmission issue?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 10:14 AM
treywhite
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission issue?

Over the past few months, I've noticed some significant changes in how my 72 is performing. Initially it seems to have lost a lot of acceleration power - no torque and burn-outs were out of the question. This weekend as I'm driving it, I noticed that each time I push the accelerator, the engine revs up and then finally 'catches' and takes off (if that makes sense). This happens in each gear - it's a 4 spd manual (350 base engine). I tested it out and pushed the accelerator to the floor on an open road, taking it all through the gears, and it was SLOW! at each change in gears, the engine would rev up, slowly come down and then sort of 'catch' into gear and accelerate.

I'm not very mechanically adept, but this sounds like a trans issue to me. Any insight anyone could provide?
Old 04-03-2017, 10:24 AM
MISTERZ06
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by treywhite
Over the past few months, I've noticed some significant changes in how my 72 is performing. Initially it seems to have lost a lot of acceleration power - no torque and burn-outs were out of the question. This weekend as I'm driving it, I noticed that each time I push the accelerator, the engine revs up and then finally 'catches' and takes off (if that makes sense). This happens in each gear - it's a 4 spd manual (350 base engine). I tested it out and pushed the accelerator to the floor on an open road, taking it all through the gears, and it was SLOW! at each change in gears, the engine would rev up, slowly come down and then sort of 'catch' into gear and accelerate.

I'm not very mechanically adept, but this sounds like a trans issue to me. Any insight anyone could provide?
Its reads that it is time for a New-Clutch

when you do it
have flywheel resurfaced
install new throw-out bearing
install new clutch disc & pressure plate
check throw-out fork/spring retainer for wear
inspect the ball stud inside the bell housing that the throw out fork
attaches to
and while it is apart check the clutch cross-shaft assembly for wear including the ball studs on cross shaft and the one that screws into the block

....................... tom
Attached Images    

Last edited by MISTERZ06; 04-03-2017 at 10:36 AM.
Old 04-03-2017, 10:32 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Trey,
What you describe sounds more like a clutch problem than a transmission problem.
As the clutch wears it needs to be re-adjusted.
It could be that an adjustment will help solve your symptoms, it's certainly worthwhile checking that first, or it may be that it's time for a new clutch….a BIT more involved.
Is the adjustment something you would attempt?
The clutch adjusting procedure is in both the Assembly Instruction Manual and the Chassis Service Manual.
The procedure is shown in the AIM in UPC 7, Sheet C3, Clutch Control Linkage.
Regards,
Alan

The adjustment is done by loosening the 2 nuts, and then moving the clevis on the threaded clutch rod..

Last edited by Alan 71; 04-03-2017 at 01:56 PM.
Old 04-03-2017, 10:40 AM
MISTERZ06
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

Agree Alan 71
see if a adjustment works 1st
........................................ ............. tom
Old 04-03-2017, 01:14 PM
treywhite
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to you both for your input.

Alan, I was thinking of a clutch adjustment also. I'll probably look at that first to see if that helps.

Get notified of new replies

To Transmission issue?

Quick Reply: Transmission issue?