Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 10:29 AM
Tom69
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 249 Likes on 110 Posts
2018 C3 of Year Finalist
Default Drones at your car show

Yesterday at our club's annual car show we had hired a guy to video our event. He was also a licensed pilot and also had to obtain a waiver from the FAA to fly the drone at our location because of our proximity to the Navy North Island airfield.

Well moments after liftoff he flew the drone into a tree top near our car. The drone fell to the ground narrowly missing a C-7. We were lucky no one was injured or damage to cars.

Food for thought in the future and raises interesting liability issues for the drone operator and club.

Last edited by Tom69; 05-22-2017 at 12:30 PM.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:47 AM
raydog9379
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom69
Yesterday at our club's annual car show we had hired a guy to video our event. He was also a licensed pilot and also had to obtain a waiver from the FAA to fly the drone at our location because of our proximity to the Naval North Island airfield.

Well moments after liftoff he flew the drone into a tree top near our car. The drone fell to the ground narrowly missing a C-7. We were lucky no one was injured or damage to cars.

Food for thought in the future and raises interesting liability issues for the drone operator and club.
Must have either been really windy or not too good of a R/C pilot. My 14 year old neighbor who hadn't flown anything in his life ever can't even crash his. I have a plane, had helicopters, and a micro indoor type drone. The quadcopters/'drones" are so easy to fly unless it's really windy. Heck I think many of the more advanced ones have obstacle avoidance technology now.

I'd not be too happy if it hit someone or their car. I'd require the drone "pilot" or in reality a dude with an r/c controller to carry liability insurance with enough coverage.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:00 AM
MISTERZ06
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom69
Yesterday at our club's annual car show we had hired a guy to video our event. He was also a licensed pilot and also had to obtain a waiver from the FAA to fly the drone at our location because of our proximity to the Naval North Island airfield.

"Lesson-Learned"
Do Not fly with this Licensed-Pilot

....................................... tom n carol
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
oldguy (05-22-2017)
Old 05-22-2017, 11:11 AM
Rky Mtn C6
Le Mans Master

Received 886 Likes on 375 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C7 of the Year Finalist -- Modified

The National Council of Corvette Clubs (NCCC), prohibits drones at their sanctioned events. Possible damage to cars, or injuries to people, etc., may be the reason.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:35 PM
midigike
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 141 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Monday Night Car Shows at Old Orchard, Skokie Illinois
They fly a camera drone at a show we go to on Mondays and it draws some really nice rides. When that drone flys over everyone says get that F'ing thing out of here! My biggest worry is it hurting a paint job!

Last edited by midigike; 05-22-2017 at 09:37 PM.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:01 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

We were at the Canfield Ohio swap meet a couple years ago and someone was flying a drone over the whole event and everyone was commenting about the liability issues if it comes down on something or somebody . I wouldn't be happy if someone was flying one over my corvette at a cruise . They should at least be registered with an identification number and insured if they are going to fly off of private property.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:15 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Futureworld is here,

I recall when the big riff at the old town cruise was careless smokers hanging their embers into someones car...lots of cussing and a few fights,

Drones, welcome lawsuits...
Old 05-22-2017, 10:21 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,173 Likes on 2,735 Posts

YYep...........a drone hit a baseball fan this weekend inside the stadium.

It would be nice to have some overhead video, but it's not worth the damage that could be done to people and cars.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:43 AM
Tom69
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C3 of Year Finalist
Default FAA Regulation of Drone Use Over Populated Areas

Below is an excerpt of the FAA regulation. Perfectly clear that the drone operation was illegal. I notified the club.

Prohibited Operation Over Persons. Part 107 prohibits a person from flying a small UA directly over a person who is not under a safe cover, such as a protective structure or a stationary vehicle. However, a small UA may be flown over a person who is directly participating in the operation of the sUAS, such as the remote PIC, other person manipulating the controls, a VO, or crewmembers necessary for the safety of the sUAS operation, as assigned and briefed by the remote PIC. There are several ways that the sUAS remote PIC can comply with these requirements, such as:
• Selecting an operational area (site) that is clearly unpopulated/uninhabited. If selecting a site that is populated/inhabited, have a plan of action which ensures persons remain clear of the operating area, remain indoors, or remain under safe cover until such time that the small UA flight has ended. Safe cover is a structure or stationary vehicle that would protect a person from harm if the small UA were to crash into that structure or vehicle;
The following 2 users liked this post by Tom69:
MISTERZ06 (05-23-2017), Street Rat (05-23-2017)
Old 05-23-2017, 12:09 PM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

Originally Posted by MISTERZ06
"Lesson-Learned"
Do Not fly with this Licensed-Pilot

....................................... tom n carol
Actually this plane "crash" ( it may have been a forced landing) looks like it was survivable and probably occupants were not even injured. What led up to the crash?...any ones guess here.

Drone "pilots" LOL right, have no vested interest in avoiding a crash other than a small monetary one. Pretty sure no "pilot" died from crashing his drone, unless he ran into himself at high speed.

These drones and their "pilots" are a hazard and assume no real responsibility due to their actions while operating said drone. Anyone can own a drone.

When I see one over my house, I hope I can get to the shotgun quick enough.

Last edited by REELAV8R; 05-23-2017 at 12:09 PM.
Old 05-23-2017, 12:40 PM
Wee
Drifting

Received 333 Likes on 237 Posts

I'd be more worried about the flying EZ-UP than the flying drone.....Even the common lawn chair can blow into a car and do damage....I can understand the concern, but the footage is nice....Found this from the last show I was at....I have no clue who the guy was or if he had permission.

Brian
Old 05-23-2017, 02:13 PM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by REELAV8R
Let us know how that works out. Sounds like a clear case of drone rage. ..and you are the only one firing a gun. I saw one outside my motorhome window on Myrtle Beach. I grabbed a baseball bat but by the time I got outside, it was gpne.
Old 05-23-2017, 02:33 PM
Tom69
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Wee
I'd be more worried about the flying EZ-UP than the flying drone.....Even the common lawn chair can blow into a car and do damage....I can understand the concern, but the footage is nice....Found this from the last show I was at....I have no clue who the guy was or if he had permission.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfkXKXjG3VQ

Brian
Wee,

The FAA has only recently developed regulations and operating limitations applicable to the use of drones. The sUAS license (small Unmanned Aircraft Systems) only came into effect in August 2016. A license is not required for recreational use however the operator is still required to comply with all regulations.

This is a good "heads up" for all of us whom are involved with club shows.
Old 05-23-2017, 04:23 PM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by REELAV8R
Actually this plane "crash" ( it may have been a forced landing) looks like it was survivable and probably occupants were not even injured. What led up to the crash?...any ones guess here.

Drone "pilots" LOL right, have no vested interest in avoiding a crash other than a small monetary one. Pretty sure no "pilot" died from crashing his drone, unless he ran into himself at high speed.

These drones and their "pilots" are a hazard and assume no real responsibility due to their actions while operating said drone. Anyone can own a drone.

I totally agree on the shotgun. I've got a pool and a chopper is already flying over my house. The first drone is coming down.
The following users liked this post:
Torqued Off (05-23-2017)
Old 05-23-2017, 04:44 PM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Street Rat
I totally agree on the shotgun. I've got a pool and a chopper is already flying over my house. The first drone is coming down.
Hope you can afford a good lawyer. Do you live inside city limits, or are you out in the sticks? Either way, the Feds might just take you to task for shooting down an aircraft.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_te...n_a_drone.html
Old 05-23-2017, 05:21 PM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

As far as drone registration is concerned, this just happened on Friday.

A Washington court has quashed the FAA’s drone registration program. The court ruled Friday that the registration rule violates the FAA Modernization and Reform Act, passed by Congress in 2012, that specifically bars the FAA from creating “any rule or regulation regarding a model aircraft.” Since December of 2015, the FAA has required drone owners to register drones weighing between .55 pounds and 55 pounds by filling out an online form and paying $5. 

The FAA is considering its next move. It could appeal the ruling but that could be a lengthy and expensive process since it was a panel of three judges that quashed the rule. A more direct route would be to have Congress include a registration requirement in the FAA reauthorization bill that must be passed by September. The registration program was enacted to provide some measure of control and legal leverage over an explosion of consumer drones on the market. So far 820,000 drones have been registered. The ruling came from a challenge by model aircraft buff and insurance lawyer John A. Taylor. The judges agreed that the program “directly violates [a] clear statutory prohibition."
Old 05-23-2017, 05:28 PM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Faster Rat
Hope you can afford a good lawyer. Do you live inside city limits, or are you out in the sticks? Either way, the Feds might just take you to task for shooting down an aircraft.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_te...n_a_drone.html
If it invades my privacy I will take action.

Thanks for the warning.

Last edited by Street Rat; 05-23-2017 at 05:31 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Drones at your car show

Old 05-23-2017, 06:08 PM
tokim
Burning Brakes

Received 114 Likes on 95 Posts

Thanks for the warning.
My feelings exactly..a total invasion of privacy.
Great for thieves..scope out properties, see what they have/if they're home.
It's a good thing we don't live forever, the way the world is changing, I seem less likely to "fit" in it.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:08 PM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Thanks for the warning.
Hmm I guess shotguns do accidentally discharge while being cleaned on occasion. Oops, sorry about your drone.

Last edited by REELAV8R; 05-23-2017 at 06:09 PM.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:35 PM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I was just kidding.
I don't even own a gun and I live in Texas. NOT.

Quick Reply: Drones at your car show