C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How long does it take to remove a rear bumper cap on my '74?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 01:52 PM
JohnnieUtah
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 37 Posts
Default How long does it take to remove a rear bumper cap on my '74?

I need to re-paint my original rear urethane bumper. I was wondering how hard it is to remove and about long it will take for a first timer . When I was under the rear this weekend it looked like there is a crap load of attaching hardware thus the need to ask. Trying to get her presentable for a show June 2.
Old 05-22-2017, 03:26 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,606 Posts

for purposes of matching the color of the body, wouldnt you be better off painting it in place?
Old 05-22-2017, 03:42 PM
JohnnieUtah
Pro

Originally Posted by MelWff
for purposes of matching the color of the body, wouldnt you be better off painting it in place?

Probably so. Most of the shops I asked about the job said they didn't trust putting the car outside for theft reasons. Guess I'll have to find a shop that can store inside
Old 05-22-2017, 11:17 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

I did it on my 79 several months ago, I think perhaps a 3 or 4 hours but I'm pretty foggy on how long it took, I didn't pay a lot of attention to how much time I was spending. I think I removed the gas tank first as well which took longer than the rear cover. I don't think you have to remove the gas tank, but perhaps the spare tire assembly? The cover itself isn't that hard to take off, the real work was in removing the gas tank and spare tire assembly. Hopefully you can remove the cover with those in place.
The following users liked this post:
JohnnieUtah (05-23-2017)
Old 05-24-2017, 08:53 AM
toylman
Burning Brakes

Received 232 Likes on 179 Posts

I owned a low mileage '74 a few years back and it to had the original bumpers. One day I took the cover off and saw a large crack on one side. It simply developed on it's own. When you feel brave enough, try flexing your bumpers as they may look pretty good, but may be dry enough to crack. What I'm saying is not to waste time and money on painting the original urethane bumper as it may be wise to replace with fiberglass.
For removal, using the rear as an example; looking up you will see steel retaining strips sandwiching the bumper to the body with 18 studs/nuts. Besides the obvious like tail lights and license light, this is the most work and it's a tight fit. They may or not be usable due to rust.
If your original bumpers are still good (a miracle). You can re-paint. If they are dry and brittle don't even waste your time, like I did, trying to repair.
I replaced both and used the GM authorized flex fit. It still required shaping the bumper and doing many on offs before paint.
So, expect the worst and don't try to put a time limit on this job. Remember Murphy's Law.
Originally Posted by JohnnieUtah
I need to re-paint my original rear urethane bumper. I was wondering how hard it is to remove and about long it will take for a first timer . When I was under the rear this weekend it looked like there is a crap load of attaching hardware thus the need to ask. Trying to get her presentable for a show June 2.
The following users liked this post:
JohnnieUtah (05-24-2017)
Old 05-24-2017, 11:25 AM
JohnnieUtah
Pro

Originally Posted by toylman
I owned a low mileage '74 a few years back and it to had the original bumpers. One day I took the cover off and saw a large crack on one side. It simply developed on it's own. When you feel brave enough, try flexing your bumpers as they may look pretty good, but may be dry enough to crack. What I'm saying is not to waste time and money on painting the original urethane bumper as it may be wise to replace with fiberglass.
For removal, using the rear as an example; looking up you will see steel retaining strips sandwiching the bumper to the body with 18 studs/nuts. Besides the obvious like tail lights and license light, this is the most work and it's a tight fit. They may or not be usable due to rust.
If your original bumpers are still good (a miracle). You can re-paint. If they are dry and brittle don't even waste your time, like I did, trying to repair.
I replaced both and used the GM authorized flex fit. It still required shaping the bumper and doing many on offs before paint.
So, expect the worst and don't try to put a time limit on this job. Remember Murphy's Law.
Thanks so much for your comments. Next year I'm having both bumpers changed out to Flex Fit for sure. This year I just want to make it presentable so I will just op for filling the cracks and mask and spray with single stage. Anything is better than what I have now LOL. Sounds like a great winter project for me
Old 05-24-2017, 01:03 PM
LS4 PILOT
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

alot easier to remove than replace .

Get notified of new replies

To How long does it take to remove a rear bumper cap on my '74?

Quick Reply: How long does it take to remove a rear bumper cap on my '74?