C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steam Coming From Air Vents, what could it be?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 11:08 AM
Grotesquified
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steam Coming From Air Vents, what could it be?

Hello all!

I recently encountered an issue with my '78 Corvette. When I was driving it, I noticed that there was steam exiting the air vents of the car while I was driving. The main thing that perplexed me about this issue is that neither the A/C or heater was running (because I'm currently replacing the climate control panel, I have no way to activate these features) and unfortunately I haven't been able to rewire the dashboard currently to make my temp, fuel, battery or other gauges functional for now. I was just curious if any C3 veterans knew of any possibilities!

Thanks!
Old 06-16-2017, 11:15 AM
929nitro
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Check coolant level and passengers side floor to see if it is damp. One possibility is a leak in the heater core.
The following users liked this post:
Grotesquified (06-16-2017)
Old 06-16-2017, 11:15 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Do you smell antifreeze? The "steam" is likely to be coming from a leaking heater core.
The following users liked this post:
Grotesquified (06-16-2017)
Old 06-16-2017, 11:19 AM
Grotesquified
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the quick responses, guys! The floorboard doesn't seem to be collecting any moisture from what I can tell from driving it around for about half an hour. I was thinking it would likely be the heater core as well, but I'm a rookie DIY'er and wanted to know for certain before I open up the wallet to fix the issue.
Old 06-16-2017, 11:42 AM
Cooter Tech
Le Mans Master

Received 221 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Grotesquified
Thanks for the quick responses, guys! The floorboard doesn't seem to be collecting any moisture from what I can tell from driving it around for about half an hour. I was thinking it would likely be the heater core as well, but I'm a rookie DIY'er and wanted to know for certain before I open up the wallet to fix the issue.
You should be smelling anti freeze too, distinctive smell. If you are not sure if it is heater core, temporarily bypass heater core, see if problem persists. No leaks under car? Heater hoses are 5/8 and 3/4 inch in diameter. There are videos on changing out core, be careful with dash as it is fragile, and there are a lot of parts to remove to get to core. Hardest part is getting that large center air duct out. Take lots of pictures to help putting everything else back together.
Old 06-16-2017, 11:49 AM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,488 Likes on 1,004 Posts

My money is on a bad heater core
Old 06-16-2017, 11:55 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi G,
Your 78 has a vacuum operated valve, (small white striped hose), that shuts off the flow of hot water to the heater core when the a/c is operating.
If you could activate that valve and the steaming stopped you'd know it's the heater core.
Look at the upper left corner of this nice diagram. Notice the valve is in the engine compartment but the switch that controls it is in the interior.
Maybe?
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 06-16-2017 at 11:57 AM.
Old 06-17-2017, 01:09 AM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 717 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Do you smell antifreeze? The "steam" is likely to be coming from a leaking heater core.
Old 06-17-2017, 01:17 AM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 717 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by Grotesquified
Yep! Heater core. Sounds like you caught it early enough that it has not leaked onto your floorboard. I replaced the heater core in my 78 a number of years and had the same symptoms...fog from the vents that eventually produced a film on the inside of the windshield.

Not a bad job as I remember. Pull out the passenger side seat so you have space to work. As Cooter states, take pictures to remind you how to reassemble the ductwork. The 78 design with glove box makes this relatively straight forward. But you'll also have to loosen the center console and remove the console side panels...those carpeted sections. Then pull the carpet back in the event when you remove the heater box, coolant that may have collected in the box, won't spill on the carpet.

By all means, pressure test the service replacement core before installing...as suggested, YouTube videos will show how to do this. The quality of new stuff is marginal compared to the original. Seems like these are now made in Mexico whether under the Delco name or otherwise. In fact, I would use the vendors that support the forum.
Old 06-17-2017, 08:58 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,389 Likes on 3,961 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

turn on your defrosters and drive until you get the steam or fog. when it hits the windshield swipe a finger through it to see if its oily. its antifreeze if it is. if it isnt then its the AC creating a climate.Which would be a cloud

Last edited by Rescue Rogers; 06-17-2017 at 08:59 AM.
Old 06-18-2017, 08:28 AM
Cooter Tech
Le Mans Master

Received 221 Likes on 154 Posts

Because of all the different size and type of fasteners, I reinstalled them in the proper holes whenever possible or taped them together with a note as to where they go. Helps to prevent a lot of bad words. I pulled the center console and replaced all the bulbs with LEDS. Not to hijack thread, but it was while I am there issue.
Attached Images   
Old 06-18-2017, 09:39 AM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,337 Likes on 969 Posts

Default Steam

I would bypass the heater core and see if the steam goes away. If it does, you have your answer without the mess that will surely follow on your carpet. Jerry
Old 06-18-2017, 09:35 PM
gguillot
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts

If you are in the humid south, steam from the A/C vents on humid days is not uncommon. I don't know about Oklahoma, but I'm sure you guys are getting your fair share of 96% humidity and 90+ degrees temp these days....

Get notified of new replies

To Steam Coming From Air Vents, what could it be?

Quick Reply: Steam Coming From Air Vents, what could it be?