Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 11:30 AM
Tom69
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 249 Likes on 110 Posts
2018 C3 of Year Finalist
Default Brake Lights Fixed but Why???

I have had a recurring problem with my brake lights repeatedly failing…the fuse blows. After studying the wiring diagram, the brake lights are powered as thus:

Fuse panel > through flasher relay fuse contact > stoplight switch > to brake lights.

A while back I had replaced the flasher relay with a new replacement flasher from one of the Corvette suppliers. After checking the rear lighting harness for a short, I decided to reinstall the old flasher unit before starting the tedious process of checking the forward harnesses…brake lights now work, fuse does not blow!

Glad the fix was simple but not sure why replacing the flasher back to the original made the difference?

Regards,
Tom

Last edited by Tom69; 06-19-2017 at 02:14 PM.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:09 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,170 Likes on 2,354 Posts

I bought one of those flashers from a vendor. Didn't work. I saw that there was a polarity reverser base available for about a dollar. I tested that this was the problem with test leads, then bought one from Summit. Works!

I had assumed, wrongly, that the Corvette vendor would have known this.

Can you try the LED flasher with the leads reversed.
The following users liked this post:
Tom69 (06-19-2017)
Old 06-19-2017, 02:13 PM
Tom69
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Bikespace
I bought one of those flashers from a vendor. Didn't work. I saw that there was a polarity reverser base available for about a dollar. I tested that this was the problem with test leads, then bought one from Summit. Works!

I had assumed, wrongly, that the Corvette vendor would have known this.

Can you try the LED flasher with the leads reversed.
Thanks...that probably explains why switching back to the old flasher unit worked!
Old 06-19-2017, 09:03 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,170 Likes on 2,354 Posts

I'd do the experiment if you can, just for completeness. My '79 may be completely different than your '69. With the polarity reversing adaptor installed, and a solid ground on the included ground wire, the new LED relay works great, and I can run LEDs in the corners. With the stock flasher, they would hyperflash.

But if it works for you, it works!

To their credit, Zip (and possibly others, but not the vendor I chose the first time) include the reversing adaptor with the relay. Summit does, too, it's a United Pacific 90652.

Last edited by Bikespace; 06-19-2017 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Added detail.
Old 06-20-2017, 12:45 AM
Tom69
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Bikespace
I'd do the experiment if you can, just for completeness. My '79 may be completely different than your '69. With the polarity reversing adaptor installed, and a solid ground on the included ground wire, the new LED relay works great, and I can run LEDs in the corners. With the stock flasher, they would hyperflash.

But if it works for you, it works!

To their credit, Zip (and possibly others, but not the vendor I chose the first time) include the reversing adaptor with the relay. Summit does, too, it's a United Pacific 90652.
The irony for me is that my hazard flasher button is frozen in the off position so my flashers are inoperative anyway. I don't care to delve into the steering column so I will live with inoperative flashers. All the remaining lights work.

Get notified of new replies

To Brake Lights Fixed but Why???

Quick Reply: Brake Lights Fixed but Why???