Sponsored by:

Exaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 09:06 PM
Anthony Ranno
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exaust

Where can I find a real duel exaust system for my 1980 corvette manifold back no y pipe or cat. I want a real duel exaust not the y pipe cat factory junk exusast. From manifolds back not headers I do not have headers.
Once again where can I find a true duel exaust system for my 1980 vette? No y pipe no cat. From my factory exaust manifolds back
Old 06-19-2017, 08:13 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

First of all, depending on where you live, deleting the catalytic converter may be illegal. Just something to consider. Secondly, and I'm not positive, but I think that at some point, the transmission crossmember may have been modified, such that a drivers side exhaust pipe may not be able to be routed through there. I do know that it was done on some GM cars, but as I said, I'm not positive about the Corvette.

Or, you could always go with sidepipes..........
Old 06-19-2017, 08:31 AM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthony Ranno
Where can I find a real duel exaust system for my 1980 corvette manifold back no y pipe or cat. I want a real duel exaust not the y pipe cat factory junk exusast. From manifolds back not headers I do not have headers.
Once again where can I find a true duel exaust system for my 1980 vette? No y pipe no cat. From my factory exaust manifolds back
Hi Anthony,
On my '81 I had to modify the cross member to get true dual exhaust down the passenger side. I later purchased a cross member from Bow Tie Overdrives that allows a variety of pipe sizes and direction.

Try Corvette Central for the exhaust system.

SR
The following users liked this post:
Anthony Ranno (06-19-2017)
Old 06-19-2017, 10:15 AM
Anthony Ranno
Navigator

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
First of all, depending on where you live, deleting the catalytic converter may be illegal. Just something to consider. Secondly, and I'm not positive, but I think that at some point, the transmission crossmember may have been modified, such that a drivers side exhaust pipe may not be able to be routed through there. I do know that it was done on some GM cars, but as I said, I'm not positive about the Corvette.

Or, you could always go with sidepipes..........
Not concerned with legalitys the catalytic converter is already in the scrap pile.
Old 06-19-2017, 02:28 PM
rklessdriver
Safety Car

Received 399 Likes on 262 Posts

Corvette Central mfgr's a dual exhaust system that bolts right on 80-81's.

http://www.parts123.com/corvettecent...50g&ukey=19645

Other option is to change the trans crossmember or modify it to be more like a 1979 and earlier type and use an exhaust system designed for the earlier cars.
Will

Last edited by rklessdriver; 06-19-2017 at 02:29 PM.
Anthony Ranno (06-19-2017)
Old 06-19-2017, 10:43 PM
Anthony Ranno
Navigator

Originally Posted by Street Rat
Hi Anthony,
On my '81 I had to modify the cross member to get true dual exhaust down the passenger side. I later purchased a cross member from Bow Tie Overdrives that allows a variety of pipe sizes and direction.

Try Corvette Central for the exhaust system.

SR
Passenger side? That's the side the exhaust goes down factory I'm pretty sure the drivers side is the problem
Old 06-20-2017, 12:30 AM
ncbuckeye3
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Where do you live? I'm in NW Arkansas and I just went to a local muffler shop with my 78 and he put dual exhaust in with two Flowmasters and it sounds awesome. Less money than basically the same thing from one of the vendors online.
Anthony Ranno (06-20-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 12:58 AM
Z06LMB
Melting Slicks

Received 182 Likes on 133 Posts

Street rat and rklessdriver are correct
Anthony Ranno (06-20-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 01:02 AM
Anthony Ranno
Navigator

Originally Posted by ncbuckeye3
Where do you live? I'm in NW Arkansas and I just went to a local muffler shop with my 78 and he put dual exhaust in with two Flowmasters and it sounds awesome. Less money than basically the same thing from one of the vendors online.
I live in tampa Florida. The problem with the 1980 is the crossmember it's designed for the y pipe even a shop would have to modify it or use an older one from an older car and I don't want both pipes running down the passenger side.
Old 06-20-2017, 01:06 AM
Anthony Ranno
Navigator

Originally Posted by Z06LMB
Street rat and rklessdriver are correct
They said passenger side has to be modified I'm sure on mine it's the drivers side of the x member that needs to be changed to allow a pipe because the stock exhaust runs on the passenger side the drivers side of the x member will not allow a pipe.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:12 AM
Z06LMB
Melting Slicks

Received 182 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthony Ranno
They said passenger side has to be modified I'm sure on mine it's the drivers side of the x member that needs to be changed to allow a pipe because the stock exhaust runs on the passenger side the drivers side of the x member will not allow a pipe.
Sorry for the confusing reply.
I meant for recommending Corvette Central for dual exhaust parts on the '80 to 82's.
Last summer I saved a buddy 50% over CA with using show discounts and free shipping for the same problem you have with the X pipe with duals and right side fitment you have but on an 81. Up too late tonight

Get notified of new replies

To Exaust

Quick Reply: Exaust