C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1970 - What should I put under new carpet?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 10:08 PM
Brcmpbl
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Default 1970 - What should I put under new carpet?

The bright blue interior in my 1970 L-46 is in really nice shape, but there's aftermarket cut pile carpeting in there that I would like to replace with the proper 80/20 loop variety. I'll probably try the AC stuff that Willcox has, given a thread I saw from a few years ago where Willcox had suggested he had worked with AC on getting the bright blue loop carpet as accurate as possible.

My question is this - I've seen multiple threads concerning multiple options, but I still don't know what I'm supposed to put under the carpet for heat or sound deadening - what should I use? I'm fine with using factory style stuff, I tend to lean that way anyway. I want the carpet to sit the way it should when I'm done the job. I just putt around in the car for the most part. Thanks.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:54 PM
Hayes69
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Old 06-20-2017, 01:40 AM
Z06LMB
Melting Slicks

Received 182 Likes on 133 Posts

My apologies to Wilcox and the great products from AC, both organizations are stellar in every respect, but in this one case I like Al knoch' factory correctness (molding, fitting, color and most importantly - their options) and I can't ignore this OP's need.
I never had any hint of any problems with any Al Knoch product and their carpets are even better. You can get their carpets with or without a choice of padding in the correct OE locations attached to the carpeting or up to you, custom cut, or in bulk needing your cutting.
I believe the show discounts are in effect now, about 20% or better.
I have a set of AK 80/20 loop in Dark Blue for a '71 out of the box. I can take pictures of the back side showing the factory jute and where they glued it if that helps you.
The following users liked this post:
Brcmpbl (06-20-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 06:40 AM
Brcmpbl
Drifting

Thanks Z. I looked at the AK site last night and didn't see bright blue 80/20 as an option. I'm certainly not stuck on a particular brand, I just want to be happy with the result.

Would you put anything else under the jute for deadening, like a reflectix-type material, etc.?

Last edited by Brcmpbl; 06-20-2017 at 06:41 AM.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:45 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Brcmpbl
...My question is this...I still don't know what I'm supposed to put under the carpet for heat or sound deadening - what should I use?...
Reflectix. Cheap and available at Lowe's and other home supply places.
Brcmpbl (06-20-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 07:23 AM
RonR80
Melting Slicks

Received 177 Likes on 122 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I bought the reflective roll from home depot , $15 cdn , so that's like 99 cents US works real good and easy to install , don't forget the roll of tape , here is a semi finished pic of my 70 .

Attachment 48357355

Last edited by RonR80; 06-20-2017 at 07:24 AM.
Brcmpbl (06-20-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 07:30 AM
Brcmpbl
Drifting

Thanks guys. Ron - I just remembered that I'm subscribed to your thread for your 70: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...he-70-a-2.html. Sorry I missed the question about your friend - I don't know Nick, but I know where his office is! Fredericton is fairly small, as you know.

You mentioned there that you got your carpets from ACC. They look great.

This was the thread I mentioned above regarding the colour of the bright blue carpet: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...body-else.html

Last edited by Brcmpbl; 06-20-2017 at 07:37 AM.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:48 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi B,
The original 68-72 underlayment was a very dense jute material with a thick rubber backing on it.

I'm unsure if it went into the interior separately from the carpet or not.
Not all areas of the floor had the underlayment on it although most of it did.

The way the underlayment was cut and placed allowed it, and then the carpet, to lay very flat.
This is especially important in getting the rear wheel well carpet and the areas around the kick panel vents installed properly.
People often mention that the wheel well carpet is so difficult to install….I believe this is at least in part caused by the fact that the suppliers have the padding bonded to the back of the carpet… I think it should be loose.

Don't underestimate the amount of time and effort required to get a nice installation.
Regards,
Alan

Some photos of the underlayment and jute padding placement and some installation details.

Name:  DSC_0954.jpg
Views: 778
Size:  46.9 KB

Name:  DSC_0492.jpg
Views: 669
Size:  58.5 KB

Name:  DSC_0501.jpg
Views: 721
Size:  51.8 KB

Name:  DSC_0495.jpg
Views: 659
Size:  47.5 KB

Brcmpbl (06-20-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 09:14 AM
Brcmpbl
Drifting

Thanks Alan. I was hoping you might reply with some pictures of your installation. I'm willing to take the time to try for a good fit.

It looks like you reused your original jute padding. Maybe I'll take a look under my carpet this weekend and see if mine is still there.
Old 06-20-2017, 12:36 PM
540 vette
Race Director

Received 298 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Reflectix. Cheap and available at Lowe's and other home supply places.

Thats what I used.Plus I bought the aluminum tape to do the edges. I also doubled it up in the footwell. I used 3m spray glue top get it to stick better. Probably cost $70 to do the car.
Old 06-20-2017, 01:37 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi B,
I was fortunate that the original underpayment was still usable.
On many cars it's not…. especially if they've been wet.

The only carpet I found easy to install was the piece for the rear compartment floor and rear bulkhead. All the rest took work.

The 2 front pieces and the wheel well piece need to be trimmed. Be very carefully as you trim. I spend a lot of time fitting the piece, determining how to trim it and then how much. I then cut a little at a time while pitting the piece back in place each time to see how much more to cut.

ONCE THE PIECE HAS BEEN TRIMMED TOO MUCH THERE'S NOTHING YOU CAN DO.

Regards,
Alan

Be especially careful locating and cutting the flaps for the seat tracks.

And for the 'astro' drain tubes (if it's a coupe).

It's a good idea to trim the carpet so that only about 1" extends up under the shifter and parking brake consoles. Too much carpet 'spreads' the consoles and makes them difficult to fit and align well.

Last edited by Alan 71; 06-20-2017 at 01:45 PM.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:31 PM
Z06LMB
Melting Slicks

I would pay good money for that same jute GM used back then. Aside from just one car that had some decent pices remaining, I only ever find that original insulation in pieces rarely. In fact it's funny that even when I examined a few vettes under 25,000 miles it's rarely ever there "?"
Old 06-20-2017, 06:49 PM
Z06LMB
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Brcmpbl
Thanks Z. I looked at the AK site last night and didn't see bright blue 80/20 as an option. I'm certainly not stuck on a particular brand, I just want to be happy with the result.

Would you put anything else under the jute for deadening, like a reflectix-type material, etc.?
I was using the heavy foiled covered, sticky black gum sheets from Eastwood, I think they called it "Thermocustic" or something close. (I boycot Eastwood so I'm not up on their stuff). Back to those sheets - they're a pita to use, hard to work with in cooler weather and it's about 3/16" thick or better. I can't fathom how some guys are installing multiple sheets of different materials and still getting the carpets laying flat and correctly. I further don't get how useful that thin silver colored plastic that is neatly like very thin bubble wrap (but it's not) does much as a heat barrier.

Last year I helped a friend apply Lizzard Skin for heat insulation and the other type LS for sound deadening. Easy and fast - loved it! Works great, looks great and you can get it inside the doors and any tight space.
Unless they invent something better I will always use Lizzard Skin products!

Last edited by Z06LMB; 06-20-2017 at 06:52 PM.
Old 12-22-2018, 10:26 AM
davidfergie
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alan,

Thanks for posting great pictures of your installation process. I am doing the same right now on my 1970 coupe and you have answered several questions for me right out of the gate. I did notice on the carpet that I removed from my car that I didn't have the Carpet push pins. Do you know where I can source these? I didn't see them on the Al Knoch website. Also, does the rear compartment carpet get those same push pins? (I see there are holes in the jute on your picture above). Thanks in advance for your help

Get notified of new replies

To 1970 - What should I put under new carpet?

Quick Reply: 1970 - What should I put under new carpet?