Sold the 69 Back to VOLO Auto museum

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 03:24 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by Hud1086
Per post #22...

"8. Frame is made up two units was told it has a late 70's possible 78 with back cut off and a 69 ish welded on so they could put the body on."

Sounds like this issue was known before the purchase?
The OP wasn't too clear, but I interpreted it as something that he (or someone else) found that after the purchase.....
Old 06-28-2017, 12:04 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

I got interested in this thread when I saw the title as I didn't think lots bought cars back unless they really stuck it in and broke it off,

I read the replies and really see shades of a candy apple gray area here,

I do see iwasme's point of view, I realize car lots are there to make profits and some are more honest and upright than others,
Doesn't matter to me if the cars theirs or consignment a lot that believes they will find someone to pay 44K for that car isn't up there on the upright side very high, yeah, I know lots of people ask huge amounts for their cars doesn't mean I find them any better,

and its just cheese di..um Richard to have some in house inspector, who of course found zero wrong with the car and dismissed any issues the buyer found, no shocker there, but then again didn't I read that the buyer and lot agreed on some things had to be fixed?

I did read the buyer wanted a car he could modify, and nothing on the list of reasons to take it back couldn't have been seen during an inspection, it does start sounding like buyers remorse, who wouldn't be remorseful when they start seeing what 22K , half that will buy in c3 land.

Now to say this is a 44K car is as big a pan or hogwash as it is to call it a 10K pos,
For the right price nothing on that cons list would be a deal killer to a person who wanted to mod the car anyway,

seems The real reason anyone is upset is that 44k asking and paid price, there are some super sweet way, way better cars on here, some not even for sale that the owners would do a cartwheel to get 44K for,
But it's okay they asked 44K because they are a car lot there to make money, if he had bought the car for 15K would anyone be upset? ( except purists )

I was pretty much in a state of shock the car lot took it back until I read the fine print where the buyer took it so hard in the backdoor he is rightfully too embarrassed to post how much he lost, I cant blame him,

So in the end I see this car lot about the same iwasme sees it, to me buyers remorse is not a good reason in my book to want a refund, the lot then took it back, at a profit to them a loss to the buyer, that is just business, and actually more than a lot of car lots would have done, but it doesn't make them heroes in my book for selling such a car in the first place.

the money the op lost I hope is a valuable lesson, check things out very well, and no matter how much money you have to freely toss around someone will try to PT Barnum you out of it.
So cut out the middleman, toss me a few toad pelts and sponsor my build...lol
Old 07-04-2017, 04:18 PM
C369GS
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm with iwasme... on this one. I own my own business and I could never accept the ethics demonstrated here.

An honest business doesn't hook the buyer who'll pay an inflated price, then buy the car back for a discounted price. That's a great way to make money without ever giving up your inventory, but it's not ethical according to any standard of conduct with which I'm familiar.

Buyer beware is fine, up to a point. Even a consignment dealer has a responsibility to sell a vehicle that's fit for it's intended purpose. This one wasn't.

Full disclosure - even prior to reading this thread I'd heard stories that raised questions about Volo's reputation and this thread contains references to two more in addition to the OP's story. So maybe I've got a bit of confirmation bias going, but no way do I give the dealer a pass for what they did with this transaction.
The following users liked this post:
Torqued Off (07-04-2017)
Old 07-04-2017, 05:52 PM
mchar
Race Director

Received 87 Likes on 62 Posts

Now for the 64 dollar question. Did volo give you back what you paid them for it...?
Let's make a bet. I bet OP lost $5k. I also bet in this adage -
"First loss is your best loss".
Could have had a $44k albatross around his neck, maybe couldn't legit sell it for $12.5 k.

GOOD WALK, OP!!!

Last edited by mchar; 07-04-2017 at 05:52 PM. Reason: sp as usual
Old 07-04-2017, 05:54 PM
mchar
Race Director

Received 87 Likes on 62 Posts

AND OP - $44k is 72 LT-1 pricing.
Or a Big Block Riverside Gold Roadster '69 in perfect shape.
Old 07-07-2017, 05:26 PM
RedRedRed
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Default Classic case of buyer beware.

It appears that the list of complaints in post 22 are all of the complaints the return was based on. If so, it's the buyer's fault, plain and simple. He inspected the car, and all of those items could have and should have been apparent in an inspection. If he didn't notice the Frankenframe, then the inspector should have. And if the buyer can afford to drop $44K on a classic car, then he should be smart enough to know that you get your own inspector, not one with a relationship to the dealer.

Volo may be still be a slime dealer, but that's beside the point. They show their lack of integrity by pricing a car like that at such an inflated level. Even if it was a consignment, that doesn't excuse them. They should never have taken the consignmet at that price point and then tried to convince someone it was worth it.

Bottom line is that buyer inspected the car, agreed to the price at twice what it was worth, then did what he could to sell it back at a loss to at least lessen his error financially. Unless there was some other deception on Volo's part (which the OP is not claiming), then this is all on the buyer. And unless Volo deceived to the point of being criminal (again, not asserted by the OP), then Volo actually looks like the good guy here for taking it back at all.
Old 07-07-2017, 05:50 PM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,687 Likes on 1,414 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default Disagree

Originally Posted by RedRedRed
It appears that the list of complaints in post 22 are all of the complaints the return was based on. If so, it's the buyer's fault, plain and simple. He inspected the car, and all of those items could have and should have been apparent in an inspection. If he didn't notice the Frankenframe, then the inspector should have. And if the buyer can afford to drop $44K on a classic car, then he should be smart enough to know that you get your own inspector, not one with a relationship to the dealer.

Volo may be still be a slime dealer, but that's beside the point. They show their lack of integrity by pricing a car like that at such an inflated level. Even if it was a consignment, that doesn't excuse them. They should never have taken the consignmet at that price point and then tried to convince someone it was worth it.

Bottom line is that buyer inspected the car, agreed to the price at twice what it was worth, then did what he could to sell it back at a loss to at least lessen his error financially. Unless there was some other deception on Volo's part (which the OP is not claiming), then this is all on the buyer. And unless Volo deceived to the point of being criminal (again, not asserted by the OP), then Volo actually looks like the good guy here for taking it back at all.
I disagree. Volo is not the "good guy" here and I don't justify their unethical tactics. The buyer should have been smarter, but he did not act unethically, he is only naïve. If I were to befriend one of the two, I will take the naïve, and not the unethical. How about you?
Old 07-07-2017, 07:49 PM
RedRedRed
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by iwasmenowhesgone
I disagree. Volo is not the "good guy" here and I don't justify their unethical tactics. The buyer should have been smarter, but he did not act unethically, he is only naïve. If I were to befriend one of the two, I will take the naïve, and not the unethical. How about you?
Please don't misunderstand what meant, I should have been clearer. I said "looks like" the good guy. I already said they showed their true stripes by marketing a car like that at that price. I have nothing nice to say about Volo. But unless there's something the OP isn't telling us, they didn't have to take it back, even at a lower price. To me, the buyer screwed up and went back to the dealer to try to get bailed out. As others have said, most dealers would simply not have taken it back, even though they most likely would profit from the car again. In this situation, one party screwed up and did something stupid, the other party did something that helped him out, albeit by also helping themselves in the process. I'm not trying to cast Volo in a flattering light.
Old 07-07-2017, 09:16 PM
Duane4238
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 93 Posts

Just went to Volo's website and the vehicle is in their inventory for sale at $44k, again. They mention the new BFG tires but fail to mention the multi-piece frame. Scumbags in my book.
Duane
The following users liked this post:
Torqued Off (07-08-2017)

Quick Reply: Sold the 69 Back to VOLO Auto museum