Sponsored by:

C3 Fuel Pump

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 12:46 PM
Pepsi#1
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C3 Fuel Pump

I have a 1982 Corvette that has been almost totally restored. My question is about the fuel pump. Where does the fuel pump get its electrical power from? Is there a fuse or breaker etc that supplies power specifically to the fuel pump and where is it located. The problem is that I have constant drain on the battery and I suspect that it is the fuel pump. If I pull what I think is the breaker/fuse after I turn off the ignition the battery does not drain. If the breaker is pulled the fuel pump does not work but the engine will turn over but will not start. When I replace the fuse it will immediately start up. I may be reached at frank.czajkowski@gmail.com

Thank you for any assistance.
Old 06-23-2017, 03:21 PM
Antz81
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 77 Posts

there is a fuse for the fuel pump. The pump is controlled by a relay which is switched by the Ecu. There is also an oil pressure switch to bypass the relay if it fails. If my diagrams are correct then the fuse should only have power to it when the fuel pump is running.
If the fuel pump is causing a drain then either the relay or oil pressure switch have sticking contacts, or the Ecu is not shutting the relay off.
Old 06-23-2017, 06:15 PM
Pepsi#1
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sir this is the best information I have ever received about my problem and I think you may be spot on because I know the relay is good. I have another question though, where is the ECU located and much difficulty is it to replace? Please respond to my email as well frank.czajkowski@gmail.com. Thank you very much.

One other question, where is the oil pressure switch located?

Last edited by Pepsi#1; 06-24-2017 at 01:20 PM. Reason: adding a question
Old 06-27-2017, 12:56 AM
Antz81
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Pepsi#1
Sir this is the best information I have ever received about my problem and I think you may be spot on because I know the relay is good. I have another question though, where is the ECU located and much difficulty is it to replace? Please respond to my email as well frank.czajkowski@gmail.com. Thank you very much.

One other question, where is the oil pressure switch located?
How do you know that the relay is good?

The Ecu is behind the drivers seat in the battery compartment. So it's in a bit of an awkward place to get to. The electrical connections plug into it.
Before just blindly replacing parts hoping it will solve the problem make sure it is that part causing the problem.

IIRC the oil pressure switch is combined with the oil pressure sender and is located just to left of the distributor.

Get notified of new replies

To C3 Fuel Pump

Quick Reply: C3 Fuel Pump