Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Poor C3!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 11:30 AM
mardyn
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

The purpose of these kind if threads is so that other people with knowledge of the topic can express opinions and offer advice... I often turn to the forum for help on how to proceed on a variety of C3 topics.

Now those that have offered opinion are being bashed because others disagree with what they (we or I) have said... It's a freakin' opinion, everybody has one... they're cheap to come by.

If somebody wants to spend their hard earned dollars trying to resurrect an old car... that's fine by me... jump right on it.... but quit having a cow because my (more than likely correct) opinion differs from your own.

Even the OP recognizes this one is probably a lost cause.

mardyn
Old 06-25-2017, 11:42 AM
M4A3E2
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Checked it today, it's a complete lost cause. The only solid part of this car is the birdcage. I thought at first it was fine, but upon closer inspection the chassis is just too rusted, it's not surface rust too, parts are falling off.

It's a shame, because when I first saw this car a couple weeks ago, I only saw the rear and thought I had found something amazing.
Had it been a clean chassis and just a bunch, and I mean a bunch of bodywork problems, I would've gotten this corvette ASAP, but I don't think its solid enough to be saved, it's almost as if the guy just parked it there one day and never touched it again.

Last edited by M4A3E2; 06-25-2017 at 11:45 AM.
Old 06-25-2017, 12:10 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Not too much scares me off for a personal project since I was in the restoration business and it can always be parted out to make a profit if it is too far gone but it depends on the price . If it has a solid birdcage as you noted , that is the most important . The frame can be rebuilt since you would do a body off anyway. But since he left the keys in it you have to assume that it does have mechanical problems . Ask some questions about this issue. If it can be bought for a couple grand ( tops ) I would not walk away just yet. This could be your diamond in the rough if you can do a lot of the work yourself. If you can't , walk away now .
Old 06-25-2017, 12:23 PM
M4A3E2
Racer

Originally Posted by bj1k
Not too much scares me off for a personal project since I was in the restoration business and it can always be parted out to make a profit if it is too far gone but it depends on the price . If it has a solid birdcage as you noted , that is the most important . The frame can be rebuilt since you would do a body off anyway. But since he left the keys in it you have to assume that it does have mechanical problems . Ask some questions about this issue. If it can be bought for a couple grand ( tops ) I would not walk away just yet. This could be your diamond in the rough if you can do a lot of the work yourself. If you can't , walk away now .
I can do engine and bodywork, but if the chassis is as wrecked as this one, it's just currently out of my capabilities.
Old 06-25-2017, 12:24 PM
540 vette
Race Director

Received 298 Likes on 212 Posts

If the cage is solid and it is a good price, you can always get a frame and go for it.
Old 06-25-2017, 12:30 PM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,673 Likes on 1,408 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default Right and Wrong

Originally Posted by mardyn
The purpose of these kind if threads is so that other people with knowledge of the topic can express opinions and offer advice... I often turn to the forum for help on how to proceed on a variety of C3 topics.

Now those that have offered opinion are being bashed because others disagree with what they (we or I) have said... It's a freakin' opinion, everybody has one... they're cheap to come by.

If somebody wants to spend their hard earned dollars trying to resurrect an old car... that's fine by me... jump right on it.... but quit having a cow because my (more than likely correct) opinion differs from your own.

Even the OP recognizes this one is probably a lost cause. Of course, it goes without saying that it needs to be priced right.

mardyn
You can't help yourself, can you. You tried to be PC, and then had to go and say "more than likely correct".

Point is, you can have an opinion, but it does not have to be the right advice, its strictly YOUR advice of whether or not a car can be resurrected, or more importantly, should be. As Bats says in his first post, there always seems to be these folks on here that instantly disregard a car as being worthless......and truth is, anything can be brought back to life. Since some of us don't have piles of cash laying around to pay someone else to restore a car, or buy one already restored, a project car provides a way in. And even if he spends more $$ for the car over time, its metered out over time, and more importantly he actually accomplished something. That's opposed to the rich guys who just buy a restored car, and park it at shows feeling proud.....of something???

This car has lots of potential, and is hardly beyond resurrection. In fact, it should be resurrected. Even if the frame needs repaired.....then repair it. It certainly is no lost cause. The price is key.....how much does he want?

Last edited by Torqued Off; 06-25-2017 at 12:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
chstitans42 (06-26-2017)
Old 06-25-2017, 03:19 PM
mardyn
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by iwasmenowhesgone
You can't help yourself, can you. You tried to be PC, and then had to go and say "more than likely correct".
You're right.... I should have kept that remark to myself. I got a little carried away with my comments.

mardyn
Old 06-25-2017, 10:40 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

You're right.... I should have kept that remark to myself. I got a little carried away with my comments.

mardyn
I apologize,
Iwas.. summed it up very well, ty,

I wasnt having a cow but rather just being a clown, tone is lost in type,
I dont take forums seriously and i post like i talk in person, right Jim, lol,

I was poking but meant it in a fun way pointing out the obvious because most of us know that when a car is posted here by a cat thinking about buying it unless the car is a pristine, pustist dream with price tag to match it gets bashed, ( most times the price still gets bashed ) its just the forum trend.

opinions and advice will vary but in the end we all like the same car so we dont have to agree all the time,

Great example , the op lost interest because of frame rot but the birdcage is sound, yeah, then the car can be saved not a project for the op but if the seller is realistic on price someone will build their dream car, at the very least part it out.
Old 06-25-2017, 10:57 PM
Z06LMB
Melting Slicks

Received 182 Likes on 133 Posts

Sorry to say, but it'll take $20K to make that a $10K car...

use caution

mardyn
Now that the op said the frame s bad! This doesn't sound right. I agree with your earlier posting on opinions.

Last edited by Z06LMB; 06-25-2017 at 11:31 PM.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:31 PM
scrappy76
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts

I bet that over half the members here are into their vettes more than what they are worth including myself. . It is all about the passion and the hobby for the cars we love.

Go ask the guy, how much he wants, ya never know. Might want next to nothing, just to get rid of it. Take it home, tear it down and see whatcha got, then decide what route you want to go.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:07 PM
John 65
Le Mans Master

Received 403 Likes on 326 Posts

Sorry this wasn't the vette for you. May I ask what the seller was asking for it?

Thanks and good luck with the hunt.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:18 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by scrappy76
I bet that over half the members here are into their vettes more than what they are worth including myself. . It is all about the passion and the hobby for the cars we love.

Go ask the guy, how much he wants, ya never know. Might want next to nothing, just to get rid of it. Take it home, tear it down and see whatcha got, then decide what route you want to go.
Around 92 i would see a ragged out white 78 sitting in an apt lot, ruining more and more each day,
I thought ill ask if they wanna sell it, never bothered,
About 5 years later i stop to look at an in progress lite custom,i asked the cat building it about it, about 4 years ago he says he was cutting grass at an apt complex,
Sees a ragged out white vette, gets the space number pecks on owners door, asks lady about it,
She says, its broken hasnt ran on years full of water, etc, if you haul it off today yours free,
No kidding, same car, thats the only vette i know of but i have had lots of buddies score free or dirt cheap cars, you never know until you ask, but with vettes some guys are the other way and think an 1800 parts car is worth 10k
Old 06-27-2017, 07:29 PM
M4A3E2
Racer

Originally Posted by John 65
Sorry this wasn't the vette for you. May I ask what the seller was asking for it?

Thanks and good luck with the hunt.
Guy said he's going to restore it at some point, and that it's not for sale.
Hopefully he does so.
Old 06-27-2017, 08:53 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by M4A3E2
Guy said he's going to restore it at some point, and that it's not for sale.
Hopefully he does so.
Oh geez, one of those, i hope he does restore it i really do but this is how many c3s give up the ghost and become parts cars, or worse.
Old 06-27-2017, 09:59 PM
M4A3E2
Racer

Originally Posted by The13Bats
Oh geez, one of those, i hope he does restore it i really do but this is how many c3s give up the ghost and become parts cars, or worse.
I doubt this car will actually be restored, but I want to be proven wrong in this case.
The13Bats (06-28-2017)
Old 06-27-2017, 11:24 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,219 Likes on 1,731 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by The13Bats
HAHAHA

I AM that guy-

I've owned my 71 since 1980- basically parked it in the late eighties.

And it sat...and sat- as I lived life and raised a kid... Fortunately it was in a garage then a basement- but when ever the garage door was open- somebody would always walk up and ask if I wanted to sell....

So 20 years later I AM restoring it!!! And have been for the past 7 or so years!!!
The13Bats (06-28-2017)
Old 06-28-2017, 12:09 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by Richard454
HAHAHA

I AM that guy-

I've owned my 71 since 1980- basically parked it in the late eighties.

And it sat...and sat- as I lived life and raised a kid... Fortunately it was in a garage then a basement- but when ever the garage door was open- somebody would always walk up and ask if I wanted to sell....

So 20 years later I AM restoring it!!! And have been for the past 7 or so years!!!
You made me feel better in many ways....

Quick Reply: Poor C3!