Sponsored by:

Brake light coming on?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 08:57 PM
Mbuschsr
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Brake light coming on?

I have noticed the last few times I had my 71 out that if I lean on the brakes the brake light on the dash comes on. I do not have power brakes and sometimes have to put a little extra weight on the pedal to stop. Is this something I need to be concerned about?
Old 06-26-2017, 10:03 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

WHEN the brake light comes on is a matter of how the switch is adjusted. If you drive with your left foot on the brake pedal, quit it! You could be applying the brakes [just a bit], causing the light to come on, and wearing the brake pads for no reason.

Or, you may need to adjust the switch so it won't come on until the pedal moves 1/4" or so. I set mine up so the light comes on as soon as there is a bit of resistance to the pedal.

Last edited by 7T1vette; 06-26-2017 at 10:04 PM.
Old 06-27-2017, 06:48 AM
Mbuschsr
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
WHEN the brake light comes on is a matter of how the switch is adjusted. If you drive with your left foot on the brake pedal, quit it! You could be applying the brakes [just a bit], causing the light to come on, and wearing the brake pads for no reason.

Or, you may need to adjust the switch so it won't come on until the pedal moves 1/4" or so. I set mine up so the light comes on as soon as there is a bit of resistance to the pedal.
So your saying that the light is supposed to come on when the brakes are applied. I do not ride with my foot on the brakes. And when I do apply the brakes most of the time the light never comes on unless I press hard on the pedal.
Old 06-27-2017, 06:52 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Mbuschsr
...Is this something I need to be concerned about?...
Yes. The warning light tells you there is an imbalance somewhere in the braking system.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:44 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,278 Likes on 3,915 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

the light is a warning, not a indication that they are on. I just changed my system from manual to power and I havent bled the system yet, When my pedal goes nearly to the floor because there is alot of air in the system,the light comes on. It naever came on before and I didn't even know it worked.

Check your fluid level, bleed your brakes, then get them check by a pro if it persists
The following users liked this post:
Mbuschsr (06-27-2017)
Old 06-27-2017, 08:35 AM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 145 Posts

Have you checked the fluid level? The front and rear systems have separate reservoirs. The warning lamp indicates an imbalance...OR...the parking brake switch has been activated, which is not your problem. Looks like 7t1 needs an extra cup of coffee this morning before responding.

Last edited by Faster Rat; 06-27-2017 at 09:50 AM.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:48 AM
DABall
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

My 70 LS5 did the same thing this weekend. Topped off the master cylinder and bled the brakes. Good to go!
Old 06-27-2017, 03:09 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Sorry. I misunderstood your post. You are saying that the brake warning light would light when you depressed the brakes.

As mentioned above, that light will come on when the emergency brake is actuated AND when there is a problem with your braking system. Since you were driving the car, the problem is with your braking system. Usually, this happens when there is some kind of leakage in either the front portion or the rear portion of the braking system. A leak in either area will cause the shuttle valve in the brake distribution block to shift (which will block pressure from reaching the defective side of the system) and turn on that warning light.

This could also occur if either portion of the system had significant amounts of air in the lines. In any event, you could carefully inspect your brakes (inside and out) for any sign of fluid leakage. You should also check brake fluid level; if the well is low or dry, that is your problem. If you find no leaks, you may want to bleed the brakes to rid the system of any trapped air. If you are not good (or experienced) at this, you could take it to a brake place or a mechanic to do that job for you.

Get notified of new replies

To Brake light coming on?

Quick Reply: Brake light coming on?