Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

75-77 front bumper grille install help.

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 01:56 AM
NONN37
Melting Slicks

Received 239 Likes on 198 Posts

Default 75-77 front bumper grille install help.

Hi I am doing bodywork on a 77 vette. I have new Flex bumpers to replace my og wavy ones.
The front bumper fits very nice, but i am having trouble with the grills.

Do they install before the bumper or after it is installed(insert behind or from the front)?
Are they supposed to be flush with inner red edge(floating behind the bumper)? or sit between the holes?(between red/blue)

It seems the mount brackets are too low so there is a gap at the top of the grill(they look to have a little adjustment).

**Im trying to get clarification on fitment before i paint the bumpers n scratch em up trying to install wrong. thanks.

Old 07-12-2017, 02:42 PM
ntfday
Pro

Received 178 Likes on 123 Posts

I had the same problem on my 76. I enlarged the openings as I couldn't figure out any other way to get the grills to fit. They are not recessed like original. I mounted them with stand-offs.
Attached Images    
Old 07-12-2017, 08:48 PM
gjohnson
Drifting

Received 358 Likes on 248 Posts

They fit slightly recessed like the above photo. Prefit them into the opening BEFORE you paint. They will take some massaging.On mine I had to grind on the lower inside corners and also refab the brackets

Last edited by gjohnson; 07-12-2017 at 08:50 PM.
Old 07-13-2017, 07:36 AM
Rotonda
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 78 Posts

I also have a 77 with a flex glass bumper. I first mounted it onto the body and discovered the same difficulties you mention. Next, I began opening up the bumper by grinding it, especially in the radiused outside corners and the vertical edges. I finally got it where the grills could be snaked into the openings (they completely filled the openings) and sat indented and not flush with the front opening.

I began working with the stock mounting brackets, bending and lightly modifying them until everything lined up.

Finally I used West Systems epoxy, their 410 filler and fiberglass mat to extend (and strengthen) the lips of the opening I had ground. Car is in primer now, waiting on paint.

Get notified of new replies

To 75-77 front bumper grille install help.

Quick Reply: 75-77 front bumper grille install help.