Sponsored by:

seats

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 08:53 PM
danhartnett
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default seats

Can anyone say with confidence that C6 Z06 seats will bolt up to a 74' C3 without much work? Corvette Mods has a C3 Corvette 1968 - 1982 seat adapter package that upgrades to C5/6 seats. Anyone with personal experience with this package?

Last edited by danhartnett; 07-23-2017 at 09:33 AM.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:58 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by danhartnett
Can anyone say with confidence that C6 Z06 seats will bolt up to a 74' C3 without much work? Corvette Mods has a C3 Corvette 1968 - 1982 seat adapter package that upgrades to C5/6 seats. Anyone with personal experience with this package?
That statement is subjective that I BOLDED OUT and depends on who is commenting on it an then the person who actually has to be able and have the experience to do the work.

I know I would not have any problem in getting those seats to install...but that is me....and I have an awesome assortment of tools to do customizing and repair.

DUB
The following users liked this post:
danhartnett (07-25-2017)
Old 07-24-2017, 10:53 PM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Received 519 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
That statement is subjective that I BOLDED OUT and depends on who is commenting on it an then the person who actually has to be able and have the experience to do the work.

I know I would not have any problem in getting those seats to install...but that is me....and I have an awesome assortment of tools to do customizing and repair.

DUB
I have been looking at many seats to replace the factory Seats in my 78. I always came across a problem to bolt them into the car.

1. Can you use the factory sliders ?
2. How do you get at the mounting bolts, since most seats are longer than the factory seats. Factory seats can move ~ 4.8" which allows access to the mounting bolts. Most other seats are longer and cover access to the mounting bolts.

So the seats fit, but I cannot see how you access the mounting hardware.
danhartnett (07-25-2017)
Old 07-25-2017, 01:04 AM
Frank_Nesta
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by cagotzmann
I have been looking at many seats to replace the factory Seats in my 78. I always came across a problem to bolt them into the car.

1. Can you use the factory sliders ?
2. How do you get at the mounting bolts, since most seats are longer than the factory seats. Factory seats can move ~ 4.8" which allows access to the mounting bolts. Most other seats are longer and cover access to the mounting bolts.

So the seats fit, but I cannot see how you access the mounting hardware.
After looking at Corvette Mods adapter plate that Dan mentioned above it looks like you use the original C3 tracks. This is the link to the conversion plate. https ://www.corvettemods.com/C3-Corvette-1968-1982-Seat-Adapter-Package--Upgrades-to-C5C6-Seats_p_11140.html# Once you look at the adapter plate it looks obvious how you access the mounting hardware. I am not to sure if this raises the seat higher than the stock C3 seats or not. I have C6 seats installed in my 77 without the adapter plates or the original C3 tracks and my seats bottoms sit are at least 2 inches higher from the floor than stock seats. This is something to be aware of if you are 6 foot tall or more.
The following 2 users liked this post by Frank_Nesta:
CarynsC3 (01-10-2020), danhartnett (07-25-2017)
Old 07-25-2017, 02:09 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank_Nesta
After looking at Corvette Mods adapter plate that Dan mentioned above it looks like you use the original C3 tracks. This is the link to the conversion plate. https ://www.corvettemods.com/C3-Corvette-1968-1982-Seat-Adapter-Package--Upgrades-to-C5C6-Seats_p_11140.html# Once you look at the adapter plate it looks obvious how you access the mounting hardware. I am not to sure if this raises the seat higher than the stock C3 seats or not. I have C6 seats installed in my 77 without the adapter plates or the original C3 tracks and my seats bottoms sit are at least 2 inches higher from the floor than stock seats. This is something to be aware of if you are 6 foot tall or more.
This is a very good point. I mounted a set of Recaro seats in my '73 Corvette and had to mount them directly on the floor sans sliders. I'm only 6' tall, but even the stock seats puts my head close to the top. Since I'm the only one that drives it it wasn't a problem for me. With the hardtop and headliner, my head just touches the headliner.

Good luck... GUSTO
danhartnett (07-25-2017)
Old 07-25-2017, 02:28 PM
Raphiki
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I have my C5 seats bolted directly to the floor also. I'm 6' tall and this works perfectly for me. I would stay away from Corvettemods. They can be problematic.
danhartnett (07-25-2017)
Old 07-25-2017, 02:53 PM
ENCSDOUG
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

I bolted my C-5 2004 Z06 seats to my original track. Minor work required. Used washers to shim between track and seat.
danhartnett (07-25-2017)
Old 07-25-2017, 07:13 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

AS we can see that some of the replies are where people mounted the seat directly to the floor and have lost the ability for it to slide. I have no problem with that because sometimes getting the seat to be able to slide will add a butt load of dollars which will directly come out of my customers wallet...and they decide what they want to do.

So much depends on how the seat is or is not going to change the height of the cushion when installed....or the amount of recessed area UNDER the seat that will cause for spacers or additional adapters that need to be fabricated so when teh factory seat tracks are attached...the seat is solid.

Sometimes I have to use different seat tracks and then modify them to fit the holes in the floorboards...and STILL maintain a good amount of structural integrity to the seat itself.. So...it all depends on the seat and what the customer wants and is willing to pay for.

DUB
Old 07-25-2017, 10:53 PM
danhartnett
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks

Originally Posted by DUB
AS we can see that some of the replies are where people mounted the seat directly to the floor and have lost the ability for it to slide. I have no problem with that because sometimes getting the seat to be able to slide will add a butt load of dollars which will directly come out of my customers wallet...and they decide what they want to do.

So much depends on how the seat is or is not going to change the height of the cushion when installed....or the amount of recessed area UNDER the seat that will cause for spacers or additional adapters that need to be fabricated so when teh factory seat tracks are attached...the seat is solid.

Sometimes I have to use different seat tracks and then modify them to fit the holes in the floorboards...and STILL maintain a good amount of structural integrity to the seat itself.. So...it all depends on the seat and what the customer wants and is willing to pay for.

DUB
Thank to all. Dan

Get notified of new replies

To seats

Quick Reply: seats