Sponsored by:

Possibility or Pipe Dream?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 11:07 PM
clifish
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Sunracer
Lots of good comments here. From my experience on a number of classics over the years:

Don't be picky-buy on the bargin-rather than holding out for colors options etc. Not saying buy junk-look for a decent machine where someone is just ready to get the car out of the driveway. This will take time. Depending on your skills choosing a car with one major devaluing flaw that you can address is good.

Be careful and patient on repairs/upgrades-hard searching for good used parts. We all want to dive in to the catalogue and order like crazy-don't You have to buy good quality new for stuff that makes it run-cheaping out here is a false economy. But, interior stuff, and many bits and pieces can save you a lot of money if you are patient.

Do your own work-a must.

Hold the car for some years. If you bought right and were careful in your parts bargin hunting much of the cost will be in the first year-for instance tires, clutch,brakes etc. You amortize these cost over the years.

Then, here is the biggie-drive it. A lot All those miles give value as a pleasure for one and second mean you are keeping miles off your newer daily drivers, preserving their value.

You may not make money once you total the purchase price +costs versus your later selling price, but-you are not losing money through depreciation every month the car sits like a late model, and all those miles have value for the reasons mentioned above. Being able to use classic car insurance on an oldie is a big annual savings too.

It's hard work and not worth it unless you really enjoy driving a classic.

My two cents
you are right on driving it, I have had my 81 C3 for 18 years and maybe put 2000 miles on it...maybe 50/year for the last 5 years. I always said I want to sell it, wished it was a stick etc..... but after buying my 4 speed TR6 (and do love that), started to realize that a stick here in Long Island, NY is not so much fun ( 13 stop signs, 11 lights in a 14 mile commute) Anyway, maybe hitting 50 helped...but I am really getting back into my vette and enjoying it so much more than I ever thought that I am going through the entire suspension and steering this winter....even slight thoughts about dropping in a crate motor!
Old 09-21-2017, 02:02 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

If I understand your question, you are more interested in basically protecting your investment as opposed to "making money" on the C3, right? This eliminates a lot of the debate about what happens when the Democrats outlaw cars in 2035.

Seriously, though, it's more than possible that you could buy a fun C3 and not end up too upside down in 5 years. You just have to learn and understand the market and allocate resources wisely.

This is not a "this car is better than that car" post. It just means you need to do your research. For example, if you buy a coupe, don't pay convertible prices. If you buy a coupe for 15 and sell it for 16, it's no different than buying a convertible for 25 and selling it for 26. Understand the items that drive value, realistically assess value in every car you consider and get help from people who understand the nuances of the model you consider, because you aren't ready to do this alone yet.

If you buy properly, you will be OK. Take all emotion out of the deal and establish value on the low side.
Old 09-21-2017, 02:54 PM
clifish
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

on a standard 81 engine (ok not a vette motor but a 4 bolt main 350 from another gm of similar vintage) what could be done to increase hp w/out cracking open engine to do cam? headers, no cat, intake, carb?, vortec heads?

Quick Reply: Possibility or Pipe Dream?