Sponsored by:

Front-end winch attachment?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 06:02 PM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

I don't think I have the same issue because my winch cable can drop down between my ramps and they are 11' long.
Name:  CTE-84180-lrg.jpg
Views: 789
Size:  168.0 KB
On my 350Z they have a tow ring behind the front grill for this very reason, so I get what you are suggesting.
Good luck with your solution.
David
Old 11-16-2017, 06:27 PM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by ignatz
Also, I haven't settled on a winch yet so we're looking at some considerable down time before I ever do a test pull. And .. I'll also have to wire the Ford for power for the winch. More research still.
Why use a power winch? I have a hand cranked winch mounted on the front of my trailer, and the handle is fixed in a bracket. It EASILY pulls up the 3700 pound Grand Prix.
You can see the crank handle in this picture, the winch is mounted between the tool box and the tie-down ratchet handle.

We have a power winch, and a welded in bracket to mount it to, but we never use it, because the hand crank is quicker, and more convenient.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:18 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,126 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by bazza77
very interesting . looks sturdy enough , so if you attach a line from the ring and out the front how much down angle can you get ?

just thinking your winch may have to be mounted up a bit .
You have a good eye for the geometry of the situation. I have the winch mounted up about 10"'s on a couple of I-beams. I think that'll do it however I have yet to try it with this and that other stuff, and now it's raining pretty good.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:23 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by oldgto
Why use a power winch? I have a hand cranked winch mounted on the front of my trailer, and the handle is fixed in a bracket. It EASILY pulls up the 3700 pound Grand Prix.
You can see the crank handle in this picture, the winch is mounted between the tool box and the tie-down ratchet handle.

We have a power winch, and a welded in bracket to mount it to, but we never use it, because the hand crank is quicker, and more convenient.
Well there's 'oldcarbum' and 'oldGTO' and I don't always know if the 'old' means the car or the owner. In my case it is definitely the owner. Anyway I bought it and am stuck with it but as in the previous reply I have yet to try it.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:51 PM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

Well there's 'oldcarbum' and 'oldGTO' and I don't always know if the 'old' means the car or the owner. In my case it is definitely the owner. Anyway I bought it and am stuck with it but as in the previous reply I have yet to try it.
BOTH!
Old 12-12-2017, 06:38 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr D.
I have straps I wrap around the A-Arms and a bridle I attach with shackles
I have seen this method many times.

I actually use my padded straps and go around the cradle of the frame itself on the super nice high dollar Corvettes Yes...it is a 'process'...and I do not do it this way all the time....because lets be honest. Not every Corvette is pristine and many have issues such and previous existing body damage, suspension bushings being worn out and front lower air deflector missing or all chewed up

Pulling the car up a 20 degree ramp should be about a 1000 # load on that member. It doesn't seem unreasonable.
Not that what I write will change how people do things...but I can say pulling on a part of the car that is bolted to the frame is asking for problems. Not 'saying' it will cause a problem.

But I am about 100% certain that if a persons Corvette was being hooked up at my shop and being pulled onto t roll-back/flat bed and I allowed the driver to do it that way and something went wrong right in front of the owners eyes....I would hear about it. Depending on the year model..I like the driver to use the 'T' hooks and put them in the frame where they are made to go.

DUB
Old 12-12-2017, 06:52 PM
zigvs
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

beautiful car
Old 12-12-2017, 07:34 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DUB
Not that what I write will change how people do things...but I can say pulling on a part of the car that is bolted to the frame is asking for problems. Not 'saying' it will cause a problem.

But I am about 100% certain that if a persons Corvette was being hooked up at my shop and being pulled onto t roll-back/flat bed and I allowed the driver to do it that way and something went wrong right in front of the owners eyes....I would hear about it. Depending on the year model..I like the driver to use the 'T' hooks and put them in the frame where they are made to go.
DUB
DUB: Please tell me how you solve the geometry problem with the t-hooks where they are. If my car is facing a 20 degree ramp, any straps that low and that far back on the frame are going to impact the front fiberglass and pull up on it. I picked that spot because, with the car level on the ground, the winch cable sees nothing but air after the hook. With the winch itself in an elevated position on the trailer, still more air.
Old 12-13-2017, 06:41 PM
DUB
Race Director

By changing the angle that the car is being pulled up on. I have some Corvettes that have such a low fiberglass front air dam...there is NO WAY that a flat bed could load it IF the normal angle is being used. So using custom extended ramps. YES..I know that works great while I am at my shop and have access to them....but what about loading your car up on the side of the road.

That is when I have made a custom spacer that could be easily attached so this spacer now has the cable up against it....thus changing the angle of the cable. And with the cable being closer to the ground....so-to-speak....it would not tear anything up. I paid a friend with his flat bed to stop by so I could test and change my design until I got it right for that specific Corvette. Depending on the Corvette...using a custom made spacer just depends.

DUB
Old 12-13-2017, 08:03 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks DUB. I don't know how much of this thread you read but as mentioned, my goal is to not have to crawl around on the ground hooking up stuff over and over again. That gets old, as do I!
Old 12-14-2017, 05:08 AM
terrys6t8roadster
Melting Slicks

Received 337 Likes on 280 Posts

: I picked that spot because, with the car level on the ground, the winch cable sees nothing but air after the hook. With the winch itself in an elevated position on the trailer, still more air.
Old 12-14-2017, 05:34 PM
DUB
Race Director

Thanks DUB. I don't know how much of this thread you read but as mentioned, my goal is to not have to crawl around on the ground hooking up stuff over and over again. That gets old, as do I!
I understand...but you asked. And even though I am getting older. I have all the time needed to make sure the Corvettes I have flat bedded out of my shop... or set up for future flat bedding is done so it may take a little bit of effort. It is not like a person has their Corvette flat bedded on a daily basis. Or at least I hope they don't.

If your method makes you happy and is works for you....I guess all is good.

DUB
Old 12-15-2017, 05:54 AM
terrys6t8roadster
Melting Slicks

Received 337 Likes on 280 Posts

I did mine for when the car would crap out on the race track. It's kinda like a requirement to have easy access hook up points for towing. T
Old 12-15-2017, 11:59 AM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

T-Hook picture I found. Less than $10
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Front-end winch attachment?