How to fix T-top velcro fastener

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 08:50 AM
lakerider57
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 65 Posts

Default How to fix T-top velcro fastener

Hi,

When I removed the inner liner from the T-tops, several of the velcro fasteners came loose. They appear to be originally pressed in to the t-top. I assume I need to glue these back on, but with what type of glue ?

Richard

Old 09-08-2017, 09:48 AM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

I've used PC7 and another epoxy (I can't remember the name of the other one) on them in the past and had decent luck.

But you have to clean around the clip area with some thinner first, let it dry out and then use the glue. (you have to use a lot of glue around and on top of the clip).

Here is the picture on the tech site of one repaired.
The following users liked this post:
lakerider57 (09-08-2017)
Old 09-08-2017, 12:51 PM
raydog9379
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

This is why I've been hesitant in swapping out my headliners. Everything else looks nice, my headliners not so much. My luck is that all the fasteners will pop off. Good to know what works. Just need to continue to prioritize my purchases...exhaust, tires, headliners, random things that break, etc...
Old 09-08-2017, 01:55 PM
lakerider57
Racer

Originally Posted by raydog9379
This is why I've been hesitant in swapping out my headliners. Everything else looks nice, my headliners not so much. My luck is that all the fasteners will pop off. Good to know what works. Just need to continue to prioritize my purchases...exhaust, tires, headliners, random things that break, etc...
Yep, one fastener came off one side and two off the other side. But I wanted to take them out because I'm going to dye them from oyster to black or tan depending on which way I go with the seats.

Richard
Old 10-02-2017, 08:29 AM
lakerider57
Racer

[QUOTE=Willcox Corvette;1595530769]I've used PC7 and another epoxy (I can't remember the name of the other one) on them in the past and had decent luck.

But you have to clean around the clip area with some thinner first, let it dry out and then use the glue. (you have to use a lot of glue around and on top of the clip).

I ordered the pc7 and re-glued all the connectors:

but in looking at the plastic velcro, I noticed a brown colored glue was used to hold this stuff together. Willcox, do you remember which epoxy you used on the plastic velcro-like connectors to hold everything together ? Anybody else use an epoxy that worked fine ?

thanks,
Richard
Old 10-02-2017, 10:29 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

[QUOTE=lakerider57;1595682427]
Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
I've used PC7 and another epoxy (I can't remember the name of the other one) on them in the past and had decent luck.

I ordered the pc7 and re-glued all the connectors:

but in looking at the plastic velcro, I noticed a brown colored glue was used to hold this stuff together. Willcox, do you remember which epoxy you used on the plastic velcro-like connectors to hold everything together ? Anybody else use an epoxy that worked fine ?

thanks,
Richard
If you used PC7, you should be okay. You see how porous the liner is and it should hold. I don't remember what I used on the one in the picture above, but PC7 is some pretty good stuff.

Willcox
lakerider57 (10-03-2017)
Old 10-04-2017, 04:34 AM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 716 Likes on 464 Posts

[QUOTE=lakerider57;1595682427]
Willcox, do you remember which epoxy you used on the plastic velcro-like connectors to hold everything together? Anybody else use an epoxy that worked fine?
We had this conversation some time back and the poster said they varnished the panel first to get the glue to stick. I have the same problem and Wilcox couldn't remember back then what epoxy he used.

After my first effort failed, I have yet to retry until I learn of a method that works.
Old 10-04-2017, 02:14 PM
lakerider57
Racer

[QUOTE=hunt4cleanair;1595696519]
Originally Posted by lakerider57

We had this conversation some time back and the poster said they varnished the panel first to get the glue to stick. I have the same problem and Wilcox couldn't remember back then what epoxy he used.

After my first effort failed, I have yet to retry until I learn of a method that works.
I have no doubts that with the pc7 2-part expoxy will stick to the panel (You can look at my pic, it has really soaked into the pores). I was wondering about the two plastic velcro-like ends sticking together. From what Willcox describes, I think he wants me to use the same pc7 epoxy on the velcro-like ends. I plan to do this but just use a dab of it in case one day I need to separate them again.

I wouldn't varnish the panel, I would think that would close the paper-like pores in the panel and would make it harder for glue to adhere to.

Richard
Old 10-13-2017, 12:12 PM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 716 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by lakerider57
I have no doubts that with the pc7 2-part epoxy will stick to the panel (You can look at my pic, it has really soaked into the pores). I was wondering about the two plastic velcro-like ends sticking together. From what Willcox describes, I think he wants me to use the same pc7 epoxy on the velcro-like ends. I plan to do this but just use a dab of it in case one day I need to separate them again.
Picked up some PC 7 this week at Ace Hardware. Neither Home Depot or Lowe's had it. But the brown stuff that kept the velcros fasteners, as I recall was 3M adhesive. It turns brown with age.
lakerider57 (10-13-2017)
Old 10-13-2017, 06:33 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

[QUOTE=lakerider57;1595699567]
Originally Posted by hunt4cleanair

I have no doubts that with the pc7 2-part expoxy will stick to the panel (You can look at my pic, it has really soaked into the pores). I was wondering about the two plastic velcro-like ends sticking together. From what Willcox describes, I think he wants me to use the same pc7 epoxy on the velcro-like ends. I plan to do this but just use a dab of it in case one day I need to separate them again.

I wouldn't varnish the panel, I would think that would close the paper-like pores in the panel and would make it harder for glue to adhere to.

Richard
If you use PC-7 on the Velcro, you'll destroy it trying to get it off even with just a dab. PC-7 is an awesome epoxy... You might want to use something milder on the velcro clips if you plan on taking them apart.

We use the PC-7 mainly to hold the glove box doors together on the mid year cars when we refurbish them and put new inserts inside. My experience is that once it's glued and cured, it's not going anywhere and you figure the mid year glove box doors take some abuse when you open and close them.

Ernie

Get notified of new replies

To How to fix T-top velcro fastener

Quick Reply: How to fix T-top velcro fastener